Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Barrington Yacht Club

Is anyone here a member of the Barrington Yacht Club, in Barrington RI?

If so, I'm looking for some information, a tour, and (possibly) a sponsor.

I would be more than happy to have you aboard my vessel (35' O'day sloop) for a day sail or an overnight.

I have been sailing out of Bullock Cove for the past 4 years, and have been involved here for some time. I am also a former Fleet Captain of the Pelagic Sailing Club (pelagicsailingclub.org)

I've looked at the RIYC, and, while it's a great group of people, have decided that it does not offer what I am looking for.

Please PM me if you can help me out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Barrington Yacht Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Is anyone here a member of the Barrington Yacht Club, in Barrington RI?

If so, I'm looking for some information, a tour, and (possibly) a sponsor.

I would be more than happy to have you aboard my vessel (35' O'day sloop) for a day sail or an overnight.

I have been sailing out of Bullock Cove for the past 4 years, and have been involved here for some time. I am also a former Fleet Captain of the Pelagic Sailing Club (pelagicsailingclub.org)

I've looked at the RIYC, and, while it's a great group of people, have decided that it does not offer what I am looking for.

Please PM me if you can help me out.
FYI See Barrington Yacht Club » Membership
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Thanks...

BTDT though...

Their Membership chair replied to me and told me that they would love to have new members, but in order for me to apply, I would need to be sponsored by a member to submit an application. Because I have never been to the BYC, (well, I've seen the parking lot) I don't know who their members are...

Elsewhere in these forums I have seen people lament that interest in boating seems to be on the decline. I believe that part of the reason is that there is no clear roadmap for outsiders to find their way into many aspects of the boating community.

A friend of mine is a lifetime member of another yacht club in Massachusetts. He told me that the way that he gained access was that he knocked on the door one day, and the person that answered the door invited him in. Perhaps I should try this?

I have been invited to join several clubs in the Boston area, but, at this time, I don't want to keep my boat there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-24-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Purely generic:
Does BYC has periodic open houses/prospect nights or similar events where you can meet members? I assume it would be possible to race in or volunteer for their events. Or maybe there's a way to get on their crew list and mention that you're a prospective member? Also, if the membership director or bridge officers were on the ball, they could have a couple of members call you or be available for you to call. Maybe ask one of the membership folks or officers if they have members in your area? Can you view their newsletter and get a notion of whether perhaps some of their members are in businesses (boat related or otherwise) that you would have a natural reason to contact? Is there a way to leave comments on their web or social media site and start some conversations?
Old 07-24-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks...

BTDT though...

Their Membership chair replied to me and told me that they would love to have new members, but in order for me to apply, I would need to be sponsored by a member to submit an application. Because I have never been to the BYC, (well, I've seen the parking lot) I don't know who their members are...

Elsewhere in these forums I have seen people lament that interest in boating seems to be on the decline. I believe that part of the reason is that there is no clear roadmap for outsiders to find their way into many aspects of the boating community.

A friend of mine is a lifetime member of another yacht club in Massachusetts. He told me that the way that he gained access was that he knocked on the door one day, and the person that answered the door invited him in. Perhaps I should try this?

I have been invited to join several clubs in the Boston area, but, at this time, I don't want to keep my boat there.
Many clubs are actively interested in recruiting members that will enhance their operations/activities (and of course, help defray their overhead). I suggest you go on the Club's web site and get the email address of the the race fleet captain or the cruising fleet captain, depending upon which activity you are more interested in, and send him or her a note expressing your interest and giving a bit of your background. I suspect you will be invited to the Club for a visit and then perhaps invited to participate in a few activities whereby other members will get a chance to meet you and, possibly, your family. With that, I suspect an invitation to join the Club might be forthcoming. We have found the members of most clubs to be very welcoming.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-24-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

For those replying -- no doubt the original poster is very familiar with Barrington's procedures. Their newsletter is on-line and accessible to the public and has lots of names of potential contacts, with yacht club e-mails for many:

Barrington Yacht Club is a “Yacht Club” and candidates are to be sought that have strong boating experience or desire and that will utilize all aspects of the Club, both on land and on the water. With this guideline in mind, several members of the committee review each application. During this review, we try to get an overall “feel” for the applicant, and we also ask several questions, such as the following:

Is the application well written and easy to read?

Are the sponsor and seconding letters well written and supportive of the applicant?

Based on the information provided, what type of member will the applicant be?

Are they interested in becoming actively involved in many facets of the club’s activities?

Have they previously been active in other organizations, suggesting that they are likely to be an active member at BYC?

Have they already been involved, to the extent that non-members can, in BYC activities (for example, frequent guest of BYC members for boating or social events, or a frequent crew member on Tuesday nights)?

What type and extent of boating experience does the applicant have?

What past yacht or other private club experience does the applicant have?

Are they a past BYC Member?

Are they a past or current boat owner?

If you have any questions about the membership process, or are a club
member who would like a membership application for a prospective member, please contact Oliver Tutt, Membership Committee Chair...
Old 07-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

Again, my request is if anyone here is a member of the club. Reading the post above, you can see that it would be easy to submit an application (if it comes to that) if I were;
  • well written, and easy to read (WTF? It's a Yacht Club, not a Book Club)
  • a guest of a member, or former member of the club (in which case I would not be posting here).

I have written the Membership Committee Chair, and he stated that I need to be invited by a member of the club. I have also read their newsletter, where they have decreased the time that you need to be a member from 3 years to 1 "in order to broaden their reach in seeking out the most qualified prospective members."

It seems to me to be a catch 22. In order to join the club, you have to know someone who is in the club to invite you as their guest.

To me, the most logical way to meet people in the club, would be to attend an event at the club... which I can't do because I am not a member, nor do I know any members. Therefore, my post here...

Please PM me if you can help

Old 07-24-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Again, my request is if anyone here is a member of the club. Reading the post above, you can see that it would be easy to submit an application (if it comes to that) if I were;
  • well written, and easy to read (WTF? It's a Yacht Club, not a Book Club)
  • a guest of a member, or former member of the club (in which case I would not be posting here).

I have written the Membership Committee Chair, and he stated that I need to be invited by a member of the club. I have also read their newsletter, where they have decreased the time that you need to be a member from 3 years to 1 "in order to broaden their reach in seeking out the most qualified prospective members."

It seems to me to be a catch 22. In order to join the club, you have to know someone who is in the club to invite you as their guest.

To me, the most logical way to meet people in the club, would be to attend an event at the club... which I can't do because I am not a member, nor do I know any members. Therefore, my post here...

Please PM me if you can help
Most clubs I have seen have "open house" type events. You get to go and enjoy a little BBQ and a soda and meet the crowd and see if you are interested in joining. But as Groucho Marx said "I would never be a member of any club that would let me join." or something like that. I have not heard any clubs that are that strict anymore, but then again it is Rhode Island so who knows. If it is a "working" club make sure you say you enjoy painting or cutting the grass that is usually a get in free pass!

I think the easiest way is to try to crew on someone's race boat. That would be a good way to meet a lot of members. Perhaps you could introduce yourself and ask to have your name put on a bulletin board for crew positions?

Last edited by miatapaul; 07-24-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Many are posting from outside RI so they don't understand "Barrington lingo" . They require an invitation by a current member to ensure that you are the "type" they want in their club.

I would bet this is a real snob-a-torium (to quote Rodney) so good luck to the original poster. I am sure that if your wallet thickness and family crest are approved they will eventually find someone to sponsor you.
Old 07-25-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Curious? Why do you want to join? I'm around the corner and think it's beautiful but maybe tough to get in and out of.good yard next door from what I hear.