When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?

Planning a varied but good diet is hard enough on land.I shop for myself I tend to buy the same basic things till I actually force myself to get something else.Or you could provision like Walter Greene did for a Bermuda race.He Went to Mcdonalds and got enough Big Macs for the race but then you might have a mutiny on your hands.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
When the Admiral asks what I want to eat I reply that I navigate, route plan, check weather, steer, trim, provide security, do maintenance and manage the ships systems. I don't have any brain left for menu planning. Throw something out, I'll eat it.
That what I keep telling the Wombet but its usually me that gets the heave.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-24-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Planning is certainly very crucial to the success of the cook aboard a boat. In addition to being able to plan, I would hope the cook could share a repertoire of items/recipes that they typically prepare so the employer could determine if they are a good fit for the voyage.

Because cooking (and teaching) is my job and a hobby...I tend to just pick up things I know for the weekend...when we are going to be on a extended cruise (a few weeks in our case) I will plan a menu, print it, and pack the fridge from end to start

If I were going to hire someone, I would want to see a portfolio of their work and possibly a tasting so I could observe how they work
SVAuspicious and chef2sail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-24-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I agree with TDW. The cooking part is the easy part. The planning is difficult.
I agree for sure, but just because the list "can cook" on a sailing resume, I would not let them provision my boat. Too much trust without knowing them better.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I agree for sure, but just because the list "can cook" on a sailing resume, I would not let them provision my boat. Too much trust without knowing them better.
Which is why we only have a 40'er that we crew ourselves, provision ourselves and maintain ourselves. We share the cooking duties, though I probably do more than than the Wombet.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-24-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I love the challenge at the end of a weekend or trip of making something new and tasty from whatever is left. So far, I haven't failed.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-24-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Being able to provision from local wet markets with foodstuffs and ingredients that one may not find at the local Piggly Wiggley's to create delicious and wholesome food. One of the more interesting parts of off shore cruising is being able to make do with what's available. Most food out here does not come in a styrofoam tray covered with saran wrap. Knowing how to ask for different cuts of meat goes a long way in putting food on the table. Cook should also be able to filet a large fish: dorado, tuna, mackeral, wahoo etc....
tdw likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
RainDog (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I love the challenge at the end of a weekend or trip of making something new and tasty from whatever is left. So far, I haven't failed.
I drink beer ....

Old 07-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Rocket scientists make great planning lists...very few can cook for others. Yeah it's important to plan to a degree, but my daughter can write a menu and make a shopping list and she's an elementary school teacher.

Making do with what's left for yourself or ones spouse doesn't mean your food will stand the test of others who do not love you

There are plenty of cook book cooks in the world just like there are plenty of book smart sailors. Knowledge read does not make a good chef or sailor by itself.

There are many people who think they are good cooks because no one ever sent their food back. Course their patrons were their spouses, their kids, or their friends. Totally different cooking for strangers who can critique you, or are paying for your services. Try your favorite moms recepie meatloaf in a restaurant and watch the suggestion box fill up.

A Good cook must know how to make good tasting food for their audience. Wether its a bunch of teenagers, a bunch of kids, vegetarians, older people, comfort food lovers or gourmands. A good cook knows how to make a medium well piece of meat Taste as good as a medium rare one. A good cook knows how to cook vegetables, cut consistently and use fresh ingredients as well as prepared ones. A good cook knows how to repurpose ingredients without the Internet. A good cook knows which meats to stew, grill, and how to make tough muscles tender. A good cook knows how to cook seafood properly without overcooking it.

Most of all a good cook makes food that tastes good to varied palates.

I like Shawn would want a portfolio, sample menus, and a list of previous paying people who actually sampled your food. To me what others have experienced from the cook is the most important criteria.
SVAuspicious and travlineasy like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Now I know why Dave didn't want me to cook when he was planning to help me move my boat!
1975 Albacore 15