When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?

I like Spam on Spam on a bed of Spam in a Spam sauce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
At three meals a day, "five different dishes" ain't gonna cut it for more than a day and a half. Sadly below a seven day trip, let alone 20.
If you are cooking for a crew, they do not want the same food every week, so the cook needs to have a bit of depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I'm sorry, Mr. Demanding High Maintenance skipper, I didn't realize you require your eggs done a different way every damn morning, and a prepared lunch every day. and a new and exciting main every evening.
What is the big deal with different ways to cook eggs? Fried egg sandwiches, scrambled eggs, one-eyed eggs, poached eggs on a muffin all split up with biscuits and gravy, yogurt, fruit (while it lasts), cereal bars, crepes, pancakes, ...

Part of doing a good job as cook (I can't speak to being a chef as I by no means put myself in that category) is reuse. Another part is mixing things up. Azores to Bermuda, Norfolk to Tortola, or San Francisco to Hawaii you may have chicken a bunch of times but it can easily be different each time.

Chicken - broiled, stir-fried, marinated different ways, with pasta, with rice, with couscous, shredded in tacos - be creative.

Reuse is equally important. Roast a pork loin and vegetables. Make a lot. Leftover veg go into omelets or into scrambled eggs. Leftover pork sliced thin into sandwiches and/or mock barbeque (homemade canned sauce or something in a bottle) then shredded into tacos or burritos.

I carry an old-fashioned hand-crank meat grinder that can turn nearly any leftover protein and many starches into patties.

Be creative. Have a back-up. *grin* We all have failures.

I've sailed with people that are happy with ham & cheese sandwiches every day for lunch, and something from a can every night. Cruising doesn't have to be camping. Eat well. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Grilled cheese with spam, grilled cheese with ham, grilled cheese with baloni(sp?) and plain grilled cheese... I can do all of these sandwiches...And may throw in a PB & J also.
PB&J is an acceptable back-up.

Grilled cheese can be wonderful. Homemade bread, decent cheese, a slice of tomato, some ham or bacon - very nice. Good for breakfast, lunch, or midnights. It's mild, doesn't disturb fragile stomachs, is fast and easy, and most people like it.

I should note that there is definitely a place for canned goods, especially as you get further offshore. It's nice to have the flexibility and depth of choices that won't go bad. Not as good as fresh veg but a little thought will contribute to a good meal.

I think the most important element is to consider how you cook at home and not try to overhaul your approach to feeding people. A skipper I greatly respect stocks up on frozen dinners and prepared foods. He doesn't cook and won't ever be a cook. I've done side-by-side deliveries with him and fed his crew on landfall. He's a better sailor and skipper than I am. I am a better cook than he is. We can both move the boat and keep everyone happy and healthy. If you're going to try to change your style or upgrade your skills start at home.

Oh - no Spam on my boat.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 07-26-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Dave/Auspicious...you may not be a "chef" but you're welcome in my kitchen anytime! (or should I say Galley)

Thanks for chiming in on this thread, your culinary knowledge and passion for good food is inspiring (even to me)

Cheers
SVAuspicious likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-26-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Surely I'm not the only sailor who has heard a string of invectives including "syphalitic son of a seacook" ?

Which would seem to infer there are cooks, and then there are sea cooks.
Old 07-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Smile Re: When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
What is the big deal with different ways to cook eggs? Fried egg sandwiches, scrambled eggs, one-eyed eggs, poached eggs on a muffin all split up with biscuits and gravy, yogurt, fruit (while it lasts), cereal bars, crepes, pancakes, ...

Part of doing a good job as cook (I can't speak to being a chef as I by no means put myself in that category) is reuse. Another part is mixing things up. Azores to Bermuda, Norfolk to Tortola, or San Francisco to Hawaii you may have chicken a bunch of times but it can easily be different each time.

Chicken - broiled, stir-fried, marinated different ways, with pasta, with rice, with couscous, shredded in tacos - be creative.

Reuse is equally important. Roast a pork loin and vegetables. Make a lot. Leftover veg go into omelets or into scrambled eggs. Leftover pork sliced thin into sandwiches and/or mock barbeque (homemade canned sauce or something in a bottle) then shredded into tacos or burritos.

I carry an old-fashioned hand-crank meat grinder that can turn nearly any leftover protein and many starches into patties.

Be creative. Have a back-up. *grin* We all have failures.

I've sailed with people that are happy with ham & cheese sandwiches every day for lunch, and something from a can every night. Cruising doesn't have to be camping. Eat well. Enjoy.

PB&J is an acceptable back-up.

Grilled cheese can be wonderful. Homemade bread, decent cheese, a slice of tomato, some ham or bacon - very nice. Good for breakfast, lunch, or midnights. It's mild, doesn't disturb fragile stomachs, is fast and easy, and most people like it.

I should note that there is definitely a place for canned goods, especially as you get further offshore. It's nice to have the flexibility and depth of choices that won't go bad. Not as good as fresh veg but a little thought will contribute to a good meal.

I think the most important element is to consider how you cook at home and not try to overhaul your approach to feeding people. A skipper I greatly respect stocks up on frozen dinners and prepared foods. He doesn't cook and won't ever be a cook. I've done side-by-side deliveries with him and fed his crew on landfall. He's a better sailor and skipper than I am. I am a better cook than he is. We can both move the boat and keep everyone happy and healthy. If you're going to try to change your style or upgrade your skills start at home.

Oh - no Spam on my boat.
Well said
I like the term repurpose.
Why have boring when the same energy use with though can produce variety
Many. Ways to repurpose Spam for Mr Perry

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-26-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"What is the big deal with different ways to cook eggs?"
Argh, therebe the difference between a cook and a seacook. A cook can always send someone down the block to buy what's run out, but a seacook needs to lay in stores ahead of time.
If you wanted eggs benedict, were there proper english muffins on board? And can the alleged cook make hollandaise sauce, much less spell it?
And how will they ever throw together eggs rockefeller, forget about arguing if it needs spinach or dandelion greens, but some thing green has to be aboard.
No feta cheese laid in? Oh, well there goes the greek omelet too!

Here's your Snickers Bar. Deal with it.
Old 07-26-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I haven't had it since....but ..I have to confess...that one of the best breakfasts I ever had was crispy spam and eggs, toast and coffee @ 7 am ... on my watch. 1.) I was hungry 2.) it was made for me.
chef2sail and aeventyr60 like this.
Old 07-26-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

"The important thing is the spices. A man can live on packaged food from here 'til Judgment Day if he's got enough rosemary."
~~ Shepherd Book
tdw and T37Chef like this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 07-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"What is the big deal with different ways to cook eggs?"
Argh, therebe the difference between a cook and a seacook. A cook can always send someone down the block to buy what's run out, but a seacook needs to lay in stores ahead of time.
If you wanted eggs benedict, were there proper english muffins on board? And can the alleged cook make hollandaise sauce, much less spell it?
And how will they ever throw together eggs rockefeller, forget about arguing if it needs spinach or dandelion greens, but some thing green has to be aboard.
No feta cheese laid in? Oh, well there goes the greek omelet too!

Here's your Snickers Bar. Deal with it.
Personally I love the smell of napalm in the morning

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-27-2013

ammymorcle is on a distinguished road

Cooks are good.