When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected? - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Dave/Auspicious...you may not be a "chef" but you're welcome in my kitchen anytime! (or should I say Galley)

Thanks for chiming in on this thread, your culinary knowledge and passion for good food is inspiring (even to me)
Thanks Shawn. We'll have to cook together sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"What is the big deal with different ways to cook eggs?"
Argh, therebe the difference between a cook and a seacook. A cook can always send someone down the block to buy what's run out, but a seacook needs to lay in stores ahead of time.
I'm confused. Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? I'm a delivery skipper. I provision for long periods very often. I don't understand what your point is.

We bought 14 dozen eggs in Plymouth and ate any number of things across the Atlantic. Lots of different eggy meals plus contributions to bread and crepes and pancakes. Eggs keep a long time.

Quote:
If you wanted eggs benedict, were there proper english muffins on board? And can the alleged cook make hollandaise sauce, much less spell it?
I can spell Hollandaise. Eggs keep well, butter keeps well, and you can get lemon juice in a bottle that keeps well. If things are bumpy the Hollandaise may break if you don't have a stick blender to build the emulsion quickly but I wouldn't try to make it in sporty conditions anyway, ignoring that eggs Benedict wasn't on my list in the first place. English muffins keep pretty well. You can make them from scratch at sea but that is work I wouldn't usually take up unless things are really calm. Homemade bread makes an adequate substitute if you accept the result isn't really eggs Benedict.

Digression - you do want a stick blender if you cook offshore, even if it means running an inverter or generator. Making mayonnaise, soups, and standing in for a food processor for chopping nuts and other products justify the small space it takes and the power requirement.

You have a lot more flexibility in the first week offshore than later of course.

Quote:
And how will they ever throw together eggs rockefeller, forget about arguing if it needs spinach or dandelion greens, but some thing green has to be aboard.
No feta cheese laid in? Oh, well there goes the greek omelet too!
I don't get the argumentativeness. Actually I do usually provision feta as much for salads and beef as eggs. It freezes well. Without a freezer you can store it in oil for at least a couple of weeks. Cheese is in fact a great component of meals offshore providing protein and storing well.

Spinach doesn't keep worth a darn so if you want eggs Rockefeller you should plan on it in the first few days of a passage. In the first world harvesting dandelion greens risks pesticide and weed killer residue which seems unwise to me.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I like Spam on Spam on a bed of Spam in a Spam sauce.
Any cook worth his salt has 100 recipe's for a good ol can of bully beef.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-27-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Any cook worth his salt has 100 recipe's for a good ol can of bully beef.
Reminds me of the recipe for cooking Galah (a type of Australian parrot).

Traditional Aboriginal recipe.

Build Fire.
Put a rock and the Galah into the fire.
When rock is tender, Galah ready to eat.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-27-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Funny that's the same recipe the Abo's gave me for Parrot Fish.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Cook a parrot in the US and you'll get visited by PETA throwing blood on your boat

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-27-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I guess it also applies to foxes .... The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible is the fox hunting metaphor I think.

Dave .... to some extent the same down here. All parrot species in Oz are protected.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-27-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Being a good 'cook' involves many 'skills' and attributes. In addition to the obvious cooking skills, a cook should be organized, creative, agile, healthy, receptive to new ideas, have a good sense of humour. The cook should also understand some of the science of cooking as this will enable him/her to deal with interesting new ingredients or, bail themselves out when their 'creation' isn't working as expected.
Many 'cooks' have previous or concurrent other careers and/or interests. It is very important to discern what these experiences are. In some cases these may contribute to the success and enjoyment of the voyage, as in this example:

Or, on the other hand, the seacook's personality or philosophy might put them at odds with the remainder of the crew as in this example:

chef2sail likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 07-27-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Normally, when cooking parrots you only eat the rock.
tdw, chef2sail and Ferretchaser like this.
Old 07-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Works well on Trigger Fish or Leatherbacks.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-28-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
The cook should also understand some of the science of cooking as this will enable him/her to deal with interesting new ingredients or, bail themselves out when their 'creation' isn't working as expected.
Doesn't everyone carry a copy of
Amazon.com: On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (9780684800011): Harold McGee: Books Amazon.com: On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (9780684800011): Harold McGee: Books

aboard? *grin*
T37Chef and flyingwelshman like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.