When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected? - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013

NJSalt is on a distinguished road
Re: When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
I see this skill listed by people looking to crew and wonder what possible advance dishes they could be cooking on most of these ships O.o

Like can I be a cook I make good omletes

Or do I need to make a full 3 course meal?
It all depends on what type of food there asking you you to cook.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Normally, when cooking parrots you only eat the rock.
Yes yes .... you got closer to the original. It was when the rock is tender, throw away the parrot and eat the rock. Bit vague in my old age.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-29-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Harold McGee is a God!

Those new to food science (or who like to have myths explored and exploded) might enjoy
The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore: Amazon.ca: Harold McGee: Books The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore: Amazon.ca: Harold McGee: Books

:

Another good one is: What Einstein Told His Cook - not McGee but equally accessible.
T37Chef likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 07-29-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If you're going to mention cooking as science, how can you skip Nathan Myhrvold (ex of Microsoft) who has put millions of dollars into exploring the science of cooking, and produced a true encyclopedia on the results?

modernist cuisine | Barnes & Noble

He's also got a web site, for those who don't want to drop $600 or even $125 (paperback) to learn how cooking works.

But I suspect you wouldn't recognize your galley if he was allowed to, ah, bring it up to modern standards.
T37Chef and flyingwelshman like this.
Old 07-29-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If you're going to mention cooking as science, how can you skip Nathan Myhrvold (ex of Microsoft) who has put millions of dollars into exploring the science of cooking, and produced a true encyclopedia on the results?

But I suspect you wouldn't recognize your galley if he was allowed to, ah, bring it up to modern standards.
I would recommend waiting until later this year when "Modernist Cuisine On Boat" is released.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-29-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Sat next to Harold MaGee at a conference...the nicest guy and so humble. We were at a seminar about wild caught vs. farm raised seafood. I was a bit star struck.
SVAuspicious and RainDog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-29-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Sat next to Harold MaGee at a conference...the nicest guy and so humble. We were at a seminar about wild caught vs. farm raised seafood. I was a bit star struck.
Always awesome when people like that turn out to be nice and humble. Super cool guy.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 07-29-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Off topically but out of interest .... was the seminar promoting wild v farmed with a particular spin ?

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-29-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

The seminar discussed the advantages and disadvantages of both. One speaker was from the Monteray Bay Aquarium, his portion was the most informative. The other portion of the discussion was a tasting of various wild caught vs farmed items...not surprising I picked the wild caught everytime for best taste...so did MaGee IIRCC.

Edit: The panel was mostly providing information so we could make our own conclusions, reality is farmed raised product is essential to meet the demand ...the estimated shortfall of seafood, particularly shrimp was astonishing.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-29-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
The seminar discussed the advantages and disadvantages of both. One speaker was from the Monteray Bay Aquarium, his portion was the most informative. The other portion of the discussion was a tasting of various wild caught vs farmed items...not surprising I picked the wild caught everytime for best taste...so did MaGee IIRCC.

Edit: The panel was mostly providing information so we could make our own conclusions, reality is farmed raised product is essential to meet the demand ...the estimated shortfall of seafood, particularly shrimp was astonishing.
Farmed fish, particularly Salmon or Ocean Trout tend to be a bit soft in the flesh compared to wild so I definitely prefer the wild though as farming methods improve (less over crowding allowing the fish to move about and promote muscle tone) the position is not so clear. Though as with poultry if you feed a critter pellets they can hardly taste the same as one who has foraged for themselves.

Shrimp, yes we have to farm them and I guess the farmed are OK for some things but they cannot compare to a free range king prawn.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

cheers

Andrew B