SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?

7K views 80 replies 28 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
I see this skill listed by people looking to crew and wonder what possible advance dishes they could be cooking on most of these ships o_O

Like can I be a cook I make good omletes :)

Or do I need to make a full 3 course meal?

#75 · (Edited)
HS .... that attitude is to me really sad. That someone should suggest trashing specifically foodstocks and by insinuation trashing the planet is the way to go is something I find quite distressing.

This morning I was listening to an announcement of a new food source for farmed prawns (shrimp) that has been developed by the CSIRO in Australia. (See report below). what stood out for me was the statament that approx one third of all seafood out of the ocean is ground up to produce feed for aquaculture. This new source does not rely on further degrading the marine ecosystem simply in order to feed a farmed animal.

For mine that is a far better attitude than eating endangered species just in case the opportunity is not there in the future.

whoops.. forgot the link.

http://www.csiro.au/en/Portals/Media/Perfect-food-for-perfect-prawns.aspx

Reactions: T37Chef
#76 ·
td, there comes a point when you realize you can't save the world and the world will aggressively fight anyone trying to save it. There's a thing called belligerently ignorant, lots of folks don't know the facts and don't want to be bothered by them. Mobocracy.

So, one can keep trying to fight global warming, and try to stop all sorts of popular things (like the SUV craze for solo drivers) or one can accept the inevitable, and try to at least enjoy the ride. Species have always gone extinct, that's actually the norm. Gloabl sea levels have moved up and down a hundred meters, that's also the norm. And if we manage to accelerate the trends, turn our farmland into desert and flood out our major cities, well, the Norwegian rats and cockroaches will not complain in the least.

Its all a matter of perspective, and getting tired of banging one's head against the wall. My generation preached "ecology" and "conservation" for so many years...and then somehow decided plastic water bottles were better than public water fountains or canteens. Damfino, but the mob has spoken. The job of Superman is overworked and underpaid.

#77 ·
Yeah, I get where you are coming from and to some extent can understand your disillusion but still find it sad. I just try to work on the basis that if I try and do vaguely the right thing then maybe just maybe that makes some difference.

As an example using your Swordfish, I won't eat it under normal circumstances but I figure I can hardly ask someone else to not eat an endangered species while I'm barbecuing a Giant Panda.

I'm not trying to be lunatic fringe green here. There is much that I do that I shouldn't and there are elements of the radical green agenda I disagree with but in the main I try to do what I consider the right thing.

#78 ·
I can hardly ask someone else to not eat an endangered species while I'm barbecuing a Giant Panda.
You are doing what????

So, one can keep trying to fight global warming, and try to stop all sorts of popular things (like the SUV craze for solo drivers) or one can accept the inevitable, and try to at least enjoy the ride.
This is the moral equivalent of saying, you can try to stop crime, but you never will be able to, so you might as well just rape, pillage, and enjoy the ride.

#81 ·
dog, since you raise morals and ethics, then how would you peg Robin Hood? Who supposedly did great good, but funded his good deeds by robbery and treason.

I'll eat swordfish, I'll order swordfish, and I'll also unsheath my pen and note THIS IS AN ENDANGERED SPECIES on any restaurant menu I find it on. Even the one I order it from.

Stop all crime? Well then, do we all become Vegans? Jains? Liberate the farm livestock? Wait, why not take even more aggressive action?

It is possible to become TOO moral, that's how you also get the Spanish Inquisition.

Yes, I'm well aware that all it takes for evil to prosper is the etcetera of good men, but banging your head against brick walls also ensures that you won't have the time or energy to fight the battles that can be won. Or, to enjoy the ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.