Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Interesting factoid learned recently

This needs a bit more research but I think the concept below is correct.

FWIW

My wife and I have been wondering what the deal was with dinghy's having names of TT "vessel name". Our boat name is Kairos so our dinghy would be named TT Kairos. TT stands for "tender to", so TT Kairos is Tender To Kairos. If your vessel is USCG documented you are required to have TT and the vessel name on your dink. This also alleviates the requirement of your dinghy to have a state registration sticker, hmmmm. State registration for dinks is likely quite different from state to state.

Last edited by kellysails; 07-24-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting factoid learned recently

For the paranoid among us -
It also lets potential thieves know when the crew from the big boat is ashore.
Old 07-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

It also limits the use of the dink to runs between the mothership, and the dock... No puttering about fishing, and no joyrides. This restriction is spelled out somewhere, and is the reason that my dink has a state registration.
jimgo and CatMan22 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
kellysails (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road

My dink is state registered for motor operation (my sailboat documented) and I have no name on her. We usually just call her "Hairball". I guess TT CATNAP would work.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 07-24-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Florida is one state that requires your dinghy to be registered. My fiend had T/T on his dinghy and he was required to register his dinghy. It probably varies from state to state.

My mother craft is registered in Canada (same as documented in US) and I licensed my dinghy in Ontario even though it was not required by Canadian law just so I could avoid this hassle.
Old 07-24-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Note that Maryland has free registration (+ $2 title fee) for small dinghies with small motors (<16' and <7.5 hp). Although my sailboat is registered in PA (my state of residence and principal use), since I only use the dinghy on cruises into Maryland, I chose to register it in Maryland.

I do not know whether MD requires registration or accepts the "TT" designation, but since it's free it's tough to argue with.

Be forewarned, though, that MD will want to collect sales tax on your dinghy or motor. I bought my motor from Amazon.com who collected PA sales tax from me, and MD still insisted I pay them. They only credit tax paid to another state if it's already been registered in another state. I suppose I could have fought this, but I needed the registration quickly, and it was only $4.50 (since the motor was $90), so not worth fighting over.

All my registration renewals will be free going forward.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-24-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
For the paranoid among us -
It also lets potential thieves know when the crew from the big boat is ashore.
They can tell anyway by seeing if there is a dinghy attached to the mothership.

In WA (where I think kellysails lives) you can use your big boat registration for a lower powered dinghy, but it limits you to using it just as a dinghy. You use the existing registration number and add -1. You can find details online.

Or you can row your dinghy and not have to register it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
kellysails (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
......If your vessel is USCG documented you are required to have TT and the vessel name on your dink.
Where did you read this factoid? I've heard it before, but I've not seen the "requirement". Nor, I would add, do 99% of the documented boats I know comply with said requirement, if there is one.

Quote:
This also alleviates the requirement of your dinghy to have a state registration sticker, hmmmm. State registration for dinks is likely quite different from state to state.
It seems you are questioning this factoid, as you should. State registration requirements are not superceded by USCG documentation, even on the mothership. Only the display of the State registration number is not required, though you may still be required to have a number. Having and displaying a sticker can still be required, but as you note, these rules are also defined State by State and are triggered by staying in their waters for more than their defined length of time. I've heard everything from two weeks to 6 months.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-25-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I dug into this a little further...

According to the USCG;
Quote:
Documentation of your vessel does not cover the vessel's tender or dinghy. These craft fall within the jurisdiction of the motorboat numbering laws of the state of principal use. Please contact your state agency that handles the registration or numbering of motorboats for further information.
In Massachusetts, (and most states);
Quote:
Q: I have a small motorized tender to my Coast Guard documented or state registered vessel. Does this tender require a registration or can I label this boat "Tender To"

A: Any boat powered by an electric or gas motor must be state registered. Only ship lifeboats are exempt from registration.
In Washington (state);
Quote:
Tenders
A vessel’s tender (dingy, small boat, or inflatable) is used exclusively for transportation from the documented or registered parent vessel to and from shore. The tender is a separate vessel and must be properly numbered and registered except when both of the following apply:
  • If the motor is less than 10 horsepower
  • If the tender is properly identified with the parent vessel’s registration numbers followed by the number “1” displayed on both sides of the bow.
    (Example: WN 1234 ZZ 1 or WN-1234-ZZ-1)

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-25-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

funny how i never saw the fine print REQUIRING one to place t/t onto ones dink--i refuse to do that
uscg isnt gonna give tickets or fines for something not written in their book of everchanging rules to follow.

what IS required is that the dinks be registered with state when motorized.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward