SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   ASA or US Sailing...who's best... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/101766-asa-us-sailing-whos-best.html)

malyea 07-24-2013 05:23 PM

ASA or US Sailing...who's best...

I plan to get certified as a sailing instructor....first Basic Keelboat I, then Coastal Cruising I, then Passage Making I....all because I plan to open a sailing school based in St Augustine in a couple years.

Which is the best program to affiliate with...ASA or US Sailing? and why?

Happy to entertain opinions, impressions and even hear-say...even third hand is OK.

Thanks

DRFerron 07-24-2013 05:26 PM

Re: ASA or US Sailing...who's best...

ASA is marketed to everyday sailors. US Sailing to racing. For the recreational sailor taking either introductory course, six one, half a dozen the other.

Why not get both? It'd just give you that much more information and marketability.

But I'm the sort to take both courses, as I did with both the CG Aux and USPS.

benesailor 07-24-2013 05:39 PM

I have ASA certs and love their text books. That being said; i don't think either organization is better than the other. I don't think it makes a difference in the US, maybe overseas.

I think sailing school should be based on the quality of the instructors! Customer service! Personality! Patience! That will make or break a school.
I paid for one on one instruction and was astounding how much my instructor didn't know. 7 days, 6 days on the water. (in his defense i had previous sailing experience in my youth)
Additionally he taught me a lot about boat maintenance and cruising. Don't get me wrong he was a good instructor.

malyea 07-24-2013 05:48 PM

What course was that?

denverd0n 07-25-2013 09:33 AM

Neither is "best." They are just different. And frankly, when it comes to the cruising courses, not all that different.

I have ASA certifications myself, but that's only because an ASA school was the most convenient to our location.

TJC45 07-25-2013 09:51 AM

Another thing to consider: Most sailing schools require a U.S. Coast Guard Captain's License in addition to the sailing school certs. A Six Pack is the minimum and will usually get you in the door. Obtaining this license requires verifiable minimum experience levels.

Additionally, most schools require a current Red Cross CPR cert.

Finally, yacht club affiliated programs will require a Lifeguard cert in addition to the ASA/U.S.sailing certs. Plus you have to know how to get gum out of hair.

Good luck!!!

PorFin 07-25-2013 10:12 AM

Mal,

Most of us folks are looking at this from a consumer's position. ASA and USS are the sailing equivalents of PADI and NAUI in the scuba realm. Both are reputable, both impart knowledge, both issue certs -- it's a wash as to curricula. The discriminators in most cases are the quality of particular instructors, school location & sailing grounds, and customer service.

However, your interest seems to be as a potential service provider. I think more useful to you would be for some of our actual instructors to weigh in with their experiences with the two organizations.

kellysails 07-25-2013 11:37 AM

Just to throw out an alternative you might want to take a gander at IYT Yachtmaster program. The advantage here is that I believe they are more internationally recognized. It is modeled (or closely resembles) after the RYA Yachtmaster program that I went through. Pretty tough but well worth it.

There are schools in Florida and the Caribbean.

International Yacht Training Worldwide | Boating and Sailing Training

tomandchris 07-25-2013 01:33 PM

Not sure of your current experience. As you are planning on taking the basic classes, and not testing out of them, my assumption would be that you are new to sailing. If so, and you are looking at this as a future career, why not take classes from both groups so you can get an idea of the curriculum, testbooks, etc. as well as see how the companies that operate the schools perform. Sailing classes and business research rolled into one. The end result is about the same.

After that you work on your captains licence so that you can teach. That will take some hours of experience, I think over a 100 now, and passing the class. After successfully completing that, and a business plan so the bank will give you money, you will have your chance. Good luck.

arknoah 07-25-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJC45 (Post 1064476)
Plus you have to know how to get gum out of hair.

Peanut butter - that part was easy!