Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: How to choose a daysailer/dinghy

TJ: I made my comments about the difficulty of sailing a catboat (not a Hobie) off of a dock, near what sounded like crowded conditions because of the OP's stated reason for wanting a boat: so his guests who come to visit him have "something to play with". I took that to mean that some who sail this boat will be less than expert boat handlers. My comments were geared towards trying to provide some insight for someone who wants to make things as easy as possible. I don't know the OP's friend at all, so I have no idea if a Hobie would be a good choice for him. I do think that a Hobie is probably not a good choice if the idea is to introduce a wide range of people (his guests) to sailing. The boat may be a bit too "exciting" for some, and in any case, sounds like a poor choice for that area. Not just because of the proximity of the locks, but because you wouldn't be able to use the locks to get to the rest (most of) the lake. I always had the best time on a Hobie when I could get the boat going on a long reach, maybe flying an ama. If the part of the lake where the boat would be restricted is too small, then for me, you lose the best part of the boat.

Just my two cents (adjusted for inflation).
TJC45 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: How to choose a daysailer/dinghy

Mstern, my comment not directed at you. No offense intended!

I guess i am oversensitive to some of the uniformed comments made about the boats. As well as the misconceptions. Comments that the boat is uncomfortable, it's slow downwind, it won't go to weather etc etc. Says who and compared to what?

That said, a Hobie 16 may not be the best boat in this situation. The boats are powerful, some people aren't comfortable launching off docks, and by design, if you want to sail the boat to it's potential, usually you are going to get wet. But then again, That's how it goes on many small boats. Part of the fun!!!!

Last edited by TJC45; 07-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook