Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road
How to choose a daysailer/dinghy

I'm a new member who is looking for expert advice!

Our friend has recently bought a nice cottage on a very large lake. He has never sailed other than on small day trips. He wants to purchase a small sailboat (either a dinghy or a daysailer) to keep at the cottage and learn how to sail on. He also wants to have something for people to "play" on when they visit. He's asked me for my recommendations, and since my experience is with dinghy's and Tall Ships, I feel a little underqualified.

He has a very large dock and storage/cost will not be an issue for him. However, his dock is next door to a very busy set of locks and there is a huge amount of powerboat traffic going by in front of him. Often lined up on a busy weekend. He's also on the lee shore of the lake.

I owned a 16' Invitation (now retired) and while part of me things a dinghy might be best for him to learn on, I think he's going to have a really hard time getting out from where he docks due to the lee shore issue and the boat traffic. I'm thinking he may be better off with a 20' daysailer. It doesn't have to be big, but having the option of an outboard to be able to motor away from his cottage (also to be able to go through the locks where the larger portion of the lake is, if desired).

Any thoughts? My husband is pushing for him to get a Hobie 16' cat, which while I agree it's cool and fun, I think our friend may find it uncomfortable to learn on. He's a quiet, classy kind of guy (and 20 years older than us).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: How to choose a daysailer/dinghy

If money isn't a real big object then a Capri 142 expo is easy, doesn't require stays, and will take a nice small outboard (or trolling motor). it's a centerboard boat, so it'll flip easy enough.

That's a pretty easy boat to learn on though, and not real complicated to rig, but still reasonably quick in the water.

A LIDO 14 is a more sophisticated step up from that (as is the Capri 14.2 and Precision 15).

But if you are leaving the boat at the house for others to use (who also have not sailed) then it's REALLY hard to beat a sunfish. They are practically disposable, but tough as nails and take ZERO effort to learn to rig/sail. There is a reason why they are so popular. The motor part isn't doable in one, but then a light paddle works wonders.

I know you put age in there as the reason for no Hobbie, and OK... the sunfish likely isn't gonna be any better on that part. But I submit that if the Hobie is no good, then most centerboard boats won't be either (think righting a capsized boat). You may want to think very small keelboat, or perhaps a cat boat.

Just for the record... my brother bought his first boat at the age of 18, he purchased it off of a 65 year old man, it was a sunfish. The reason for selling? It was too slow. 10 years later this same older gentleman was selling his Hobie 18, because he was taking up sailboards. Last I heard at 80 he was buying a Weta Tri-maran... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3mWcp_N6E Again cause it was "too slow."

Goes to show, you are only as old as you feel.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 07-25-2013

I wasn't saying that he couldn't sail a Hobie - and I have taken a 95 year young great grandmother to the top mast and trestle trees on an 150' rig once - he's just not a super athletic type of guy and he's also 6'5" so I have a hard time imagining him being very comfortable learning in a dinghy (where another adult will have to teach him).

He's definitely the gentleman sailor type.

I'll look into your suggestions. I had flagged a couple of used catboats as possibly being a good idea. The lake he is on has very good depth and his dock and entrance is really deep (since he's basically right on the channel he's guaranteed to have at least 8').
Old 07-25-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

Given your description it seems he would be better of in a sit in rather than sit on type of boat, this makes sunfish lasers etc a problem. Becuase of boat traffic a motor and therefore proper transom will be needed. A catboat would be a good simple option, an old beetlecat is nice. The capri listed above is another good choice. In addition there are most likely 500 hundred other small sailboats that would work well, even one not meant to take a motor could be set up with a small electric trolling motor without too much trouble.

A hobie in boat traffic with a new sailor is not so great.
Old 07-26-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

assuming he doesn't have to trailer far, and he has depth, you should recommend a low maintenance fixed keel type such as a Rhodes 19. More stable, less hassle.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 07-26-2013

Ok - I've been combing through the local classifieds, and although this is likely an older boat (I will check condition perdsonally), I think I've found a good option for my friend.

It's an O'Day 17 with trailer and outboard. It looks to have good stability and space for a couple of adults comfortably. Since it't at the yacht club I should be able to take it out to see the sails in action. Also the outboard.

I was going to post a link but my post# is too low.

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road
Great choice with the O'Day. I'll second the Rhodes 19 for a classy kind of guy. Cool cool cool boats... and easy on the eyes.
Old 07-26-2013

I've taken a look around and there doesn't seem to be any used Rhodes 19s for sale in my neck of the woods. I think we're going to stick to the used boat market since this is just for occasional use at the cottage. I've also found a Catalina 17 which is reasonable and in nice condition.
Old 07-26-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasaluki View Post
Great choice with the O'Day. I'll second the Rhodes 19 for a classy kind of guy. Cool cool cool boats... and easy on the eyes.
Yes, yes, yes. The Oday Daysailer or the Rhodes 19 would be perfect. Both are easy to trailer, launch and sail, and are very forgiving designs for the new sailor. You can't tip them over or really even scare yourself too badly. And as noted, they are smart looking craft.

Catboats are ok too, but if you have to sail off a lee shore on a regular basis, keep in mind that cats are not closewinded boats. Doesn't sound like a good match to me. But hey, if you are going to use the motor to get someplace else before you sail, that would work.
Old 07-26-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Can someone tell me why Hobie 16s are uncomfortable? This is the second thread in two days where that comment has been made. I've been sailing Hobies for almost 30 years. I can think of at least a dozen adjectives to describe these fast boats. Uncomfortable not one of them!

That said, I can sail a Hobie 16 off a lee shore any day of the week in any condition. And, yes, it's not a close winded boat. Add in boat traffic, obstructions current etc etc, doesn't matter. Bring it! I'll sail my Hobie 16 into your marina and put it in whatever slip you want. Am i saying this to brag? No!!! Far from it!!! There are sailors out there who can sail rings around me. The point: Learn boat handling! I had to learn these things because, sailing this boat, there was no Plan B!. It is either do it, or don't! Learning how to do it has worked out a lot better than elimating sailing locations because they weren't perfect.

Any sailboat can be sailed out from a lee shore, around obstructions, and thru locks. it could even be done without a motor. Don't let the location determine the boat. Sailing with these conditions, with practice, will make your friend an expert in how to handle them in no time.

Because of your friend's non athletic 60ish build, add Flying Scot to the list. Very comfortable, fast, and responsive. ( I learned sailing under sail into crowded marinas on Flying Scots)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.