Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Can't seem to buy a boat

No one will reply back. I've been in pursuit of trying to buy an RL24. Talked to the owner's parents once, but never been able to get a hold of the owner. Kind of giving up, but then found another one, so far, no reply. So now I found a Holder 20. Been a couple of days, and waiting. I'm not making offers, just asking for factual info on the boat. Maybe I should just go out and buy a Jetski
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Can't seem to buy a boat

the Holder 20 will be more fun...

The approach should be: I have cash in hand, and want to buy a boat... YOURS made my list, if you don't call me back I'll assume you do not want to sell... now I just need some facts to motivate me to come pick it up.

With boats that size, you are dealing mostly with craigslist, and free listings. Keep in mind if it's one of these free services.. the seller is likely getting hundreds of bogus calls, and stupid PAYPAL deal offers and junk. So you have to do your best to set yourself apart from the scammers... Showing up in person with cash in hand usually does that.
Old 07-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Sometimes it is hard for them to identify you as a non scammer, as Shnool said. Try including a phone number and other information that makes it clear that you're legit (references to other cities close by, for example)
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2013

I have tried to provide enough specific info and questions about the boats so the buyer knows I'm a real person.

BTW: Why do you think the Holder will be more fun? The RL is rated slightly faster, although I think the RL likes a little more wind. Does anyone know how much cabin headroom there is? Can it fit a porta-potty, and is it tall enough to actually use it?
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Old 07-25-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

As was written emails with questions usually are moved to the bottom. I know when I am selling something I respond to inquiries with phone numbers only. Any questions without contact info get ignored.
Old 07-26-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Pursue the boat you want without regard to the sellers personality. If they are hard to get a hold of, try twice as hard until your sheer persistence breaks through.
Old 07-26-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
No one will reply back. I've been in pursuit of trying to buy an RL24.
There should be a ton of daysailers available in your area. Ease of launching would be my priority. RL24 looks nice but Holder20 should be easier to launch and more fun to sail.
Old 07-26-2013

As if to be slapped in the face, A Craigslist search engine I have been using regularly just popped up an RL near St Paul, which would have been close enough for an easy drive, description had some things that were great bonuses, and the price was right. But the listing has been removed by author, meaning it sold. The search engine didn't find it till after it was gone.

My biggest fear with the Holder is the cabin will be so small, one would not be able to use the porta-potty, or use it for a changing area, once I'm done with a day sail. That was one relatively good thing about my previous boat. It was small, but the interior was big enough to get into dry clothes after retrieval from a days sail.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Old 07-26-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

We were boat shopping last summer and hit a lot of dead ends with craigslist and sailboatlistings.com

Eventually, we saw a listing we liked with a local broker and he had us viewing the boat that same day and we launched it and sailed away one week later. When we met the owner at the closing, he told us he had the boat on craiglist for a year with no inquiries. Maybe they were all going to his junkmail folder? If there's a phone # on the ad, call it!

If you go to a marina with a large yard, you'll often see many boats in the yard for sale, especially during the summer season when they should be in the water.
Old 04-27-2014

Hey, don't know if this move this thread back up to having life, but I got a telephone response back from the gentleman with the RL. Once talking to him directly, he was been much more responsive. 2 days ago I made the trip to PA and bought the boat.
Sal Paradise, your post made me not give up and keep trying. That persistence actually paid off. The boat is in pretty good shape. It will need detailing as would be expected. Cabin door needs rebuilt, windows need replaced, and needs a general sealing. No major work, just some little stuff. The boat was stored inside, so its clean and mildew free.
DRFerron, fryewe, jimgo and 1 others like this.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat