Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013

mike21070 is on a distinguished road
Wind Direction Question from Noob...

I guess this is why 'noob' rhymes with 'boob'... What follows is probably a dumb question, but hey, it's not like anyone here knows me, right?

Today was my 3rd solo sail on my 16 foot Topper dinghy here in Abu Dhabi. It went really, really well, so I'm pretty stoked. Anyhoo...

I just started sailing last year, and each time I took a lesson it seemed that the wind was coming from all different directions, and it just baffled me as to how to harness it properly. Today, for the first time, I felt like it really was just coming basically from the same direction for the entire time I was out, which leads me to my question:

Does the wind basically blow in from the same direction for many hours of the day? In other words, if it is coming in from the North at 5:00 P.M. when I set sail, will it generally stay in that direction for the next 2 hours?

Make sense?

Thanks for any help. I felt like today was a huge step in my learning process if I can understand wind direction.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Wind Direction Question from Noob...

Every last sailor on earth was once new and asking questions. The day you stop learning or feel you know everything is the day you should put your boat up for sale.

What you're describing is one of the things that makes sailing exciting and makes it stand out from those boat on which you (so they think) simply turn the key and go.

Your challenge is to get your boat to sail in whatever the wind direction. All of us face the same challenge. Most areas (with the exception of mountain lakes) have a prevailing wind where, during certain times of the year, the wind direction is usually in the same direction. That, of course can still change given daily changes in weather conditions. A sudden wind shift may signal an oncoming storm or some other change in weather. Where I sail, in hot weather the wind usually dies in late afternoon. However, there have been days recently where the wind was light during the day and picked up nicely into and throughout the evening. You just have to take what comes.

Given the same destination as an example, some days you may reach it on a single beam reach, other days you may have to tack through the wind to get there. It just depends on how Nature feels when she gets up that morning.

That's the simple answer. Next you'll start dealing with sail trim and getting obsessive with minor adjustments to increase your speed that oh-so-essential tenth of a knot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 07-25-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Most times on a coast ( i can't speak for lake sailing) you will have a prevailing wind at certain times of the day but it will normaly jump around a few degrees in my experience. It is really noticeable when you are trying to go upwind (close hauled) but on most other points of sail a simple tweak and you are right back in the sweet spot.

If you play around on youtube you will find the explanation changes throughout the day
Old 07-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

On the lake near my house, we're subject to constant changes in direction and velocity due to the surrounding terrain. Some days aren't so bad, but other days you'll sail along at 6-8 knots, then drop to zero, then 30 seconds later the wind will be coming from 45 degrees off, run for a few minutes, then die again.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-25-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah....
Dont apologize for asking questions...this was a good one
Old 07-25-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Even if you are in a steady wind, if you approach a large obstruction, like a line of trees on shore, the wind could curl over the top and actually go the other direction at the water surface. Another thing that can be confusing is if the wind is very light. When the wind just goes dead, it can be mistaken for the sail not being trimmed in. Contantly try to sense the wind direction by trimming in and out your sail.
Old 07-25-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Just go to this website and you can find the wind predictions for your area for the time you are going sailing. Easy as pie, eh??
Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather
Old 07-25-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Just keep in mind that all wind prediction site forecasts are educated guesses of what might happen.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-25-2013

skysail is on a distinguished road

Never hurts to take a meteorology class if able. I have been studying meteorology for a few years now in college, and understanding basics will go a long way in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

When I first started sailing smaller boats I also felt like the windw as jumping around on me. There were two reasons for this:

-Apparent wind is the wind as you feel it while the boat is moving. Unless if you are in irons or going directly with the wind on a dead run you are never going to feel the true wind. It helps to track the wind with the waves. I found on a smaller boat since I was changing my direction more often (mostly just for fun) my apparent wind would change as well. This can be disconcerting.

- If you are sailing a smaller boat it is usually quite close to shore (river, lake, coast). Shore effect can make a huge difference in the wind in an area. Large stands of trees, hills, cliffs, and even tall buildings can curve the wind around them and this can throw you off. If you get further away from shore the wind direction should steady out.

And sometimes it just changes