SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (
-   -   Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back (

tommays 07-26-2013 10:02 AM

Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back
Well we did some great sailing this week with only one day of needing the motor which is the best week of sailing luck i have ever had :)

It became apparent the weather was going to be crap on 7/25 and 7/26

As the crap weather and perfect timing of the flood tide home was setting up a sail home that may never be topped we went with it as 70 miles is a long day

We left Greenport at 6 am and had a nasty ride out to plum gut and after turning west the sled ride begin and the boat would just not go slower than 8 knots with regular surges to 12 knots and a peak speed of 13.2 knots ;)

In a fair bit of great luck we on the mooring in Northport at 4:30 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

xort 07-26-2013 10:14 AM

Thats haulin bootie! Been some wacky weather this week. We parked it at duck isl roads to sit out the rains.

CalebD 07-26-2013 10:58 AM

Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back
Nice Tom.
Travelling SSW with a NE wind blowing 15 - 35 knots, for 8 hours.
BFS indeed.

smackdaddy 07-26-2013 11:35 AM

Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back
78 Attachment(s)
Oh hell yeah!!

Yet another I'm stealing for the Hall of Fame!

chef2sail 07-26-2013 06:07 PM

Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back
Now that's a haul.

jimrafford 07-26-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back
The tidal currents in the sound have been huge lately. We had 2-3 kts against us coming back from three mile last weekend.
Xort. if your still around tomorrow, take a dink ride in up the river to starboard. I'm on the north side of the river just before the bridge.

xort 07-26-2013 07:36 PM

At duck isl?
We've been here 4 days waiting out rains and weather. Too long! Getting underway at 5am to beat the tide eastbound. Thanks for the invite, sorry. Next time...

Ajax_MD 07-26-2013 08:59 PM

Woot! Right on Tommays!

BarryL 07-26-2013 09:36 PM

Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back

That's really great.

We have some really nice winds. I left last Friday for 4 day sail with some old high school buddies. We left Mt. Sinai right after the thunderstorm left and rode the wind north to Bridgeport (Captains Cove). We had 20+ kts of wind on the port quarter and sailed out of there at 7+ kts. The next day we sailed from Bridgeport to Northport - right into a 15 SW. With a reefed main we sailed S right at the stacks, then tacked north west and eventually into Hunt. Harbor and then northport. Sunday we sailed to Port Jeff and had easterly's at 12 kts. For that sail we tacked NE to Bridgeport and then S to PJ. Finally on monday we sailed home to Mt. Sinai.

We only ran the engine to get in and out of harbors.

We sailed about 100 miles and the engine was on for maybe 20 minutes.

I hope the wind continues because tomorrow my kids and I are sailing to Mattituck.


chef2sail 07-26-2013 09:46 PM

Re: Seafevers BFS to Greenport and Back
We love Mattitck. Best kept secret and not for the faint of heart, but the anchorage is perfect. Having an "out" and not being forced to go from Port Jeff around the end of the Sound in ne day is good, especially if the current gods are not in your favor.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome