Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By poopdeckpappy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road
Please Tell Me You Have Sailed A Golden Wave 42 -RHP Design

I am in need of feedback on tenderness of a Cheoy Lee -Golden Wave 42. I'm about to make an offer on this boat. If you don't know, this is a fantastic boat -IMHO. Very well put together, strong and a good voyager for crossing oceans -my intent. Forget Cheoy Leaky's reputation, they made a separate business unit in the early 80's and called it Golden Wave to compete head-on with Swan quality. Apparently they did almost everything right. Especially hiring RHP to design this one.

I'm an experienced sailor. Crossed several oceans and made sails for North. I'm buying a boat to travel the world for the foreseable future. So what I am trying to figure out is how tender this boat is before traveling long distance for a sea trial and making an offer. My qualifications for "my" boat are dry, stiff and comfortable. I can give up a wee bit on stiff but not much. So how tender is this boat really? I don't want a boat that sails all day on her ear. Or -flops around through 30 degrees of arc all day. As long as she can set her hull on a tack and stay there I'd be happy. Initial tenderness should not be an issue on a crossing. What I don't want is a boat that'll make guests sick and me tired. Or one that feels uncertain underfoot in an anchorage by being washed about. Or one that heels to 45 degrees all day -ugh that would be horrible. Hoping to save some money on a long flight and expenses related to my inspection and trial if this one is not the right boat.

There are 20 examples of this boat built. Any feedback from anyone who has been aboard would be absolutely incredibly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Please Tell Me You Have Sailed A Golden Wave 42 -RHP Design

I'll stay out of this. Keep in mind that low initial stability rewards the owner with a comfortable motion. High initial stability results in a quick and uncomfortable motion.
It sounds kind of counter intuitive but it is reality. The PNW salmon trollers (not trawlers) Stayed out all day and fished. The rolled a lot but they rolled slowly. This was the more comfortable boat to work on. So, when you say "I want a stiff boat" and then you say, "I want a comfortable motion" those two things do not go hand in hand. Part of the success of the Valiant 40 was it's relatively low initial stability and comfortable motion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
CheckedOutRob (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

That's just one of the many things I love about my Tayana, low stability initially but, when she sets in...........yeah, she's sweet
aeventyr60 likes this.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
The Following User Says Thank You to poopdeckpappy For This Useful Post:
CheckedOutRob (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'll stay out of this. Keep in mind that low initial stability rewards the owner with a comfortable motion. High initial stability results in a quick and uncomfortable motion.
It sounds kind of counter intuitive but it is reality. The PNW salmon trollers (not trawlers) Stayed out all day and fished. The rolled a lot but they rolled slowly. This was the more comfortable boat to work on. So, when you say "I want a stiff boat" and then you say, "I want a comfortable motion" those two things do not go hand in hand. Part of the success of the Valiant 40 was it's relatively low initial stability and comfortable motion.
And. Drum roll. ...No more replys needed! Thank you for your succinct reply to my query on stability. This ties it up neatly for me. It answers my question about a "tender" boat in re. the GW42. I never would have thought this is how the stability function bears out. But now it makes sense. It was for me counter-intuitive. I was under the impression "stiff" was the antecedant to comfort. I have been schooled.
Old 07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
That's just one of the many things I love about my Tayana, low stability initially but, when she sets in...........yeah, she's sweet
Thanks! I think this is a matter of interpretation of the term tender. Semantics? I was thinking "tippy". If your Tayana 37 is initially tender but sets into a tack and bears onward like a truck that's exactly what I needed to hear. I was thinking "tippy" like a sailing dingy when tender just means (in this case) initial resistance. Great stuff and I really like the Tayana 37.