Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
MMSI questions?

I have a radio station license for my Islander, WDE 8054. That license also includes my MMSI number for the fixed I-com vhf on the boat. The radio is registered with that number.

I just purchased an additional hand held. An i-com (IC-M92D). I have another i-com hand held but it is an older model and does not have DSC capability. I have a separate hand held Garmin waterproof gps The new radio is a nice addition. It is a DSC capable vhf radio and a of course has gps functions. It floats and lights up and beeps if and when it hits the water.

We have two sailboats and several smaller boats we use on the saltwater. A Marshall catboat, a rowing pod and some ocean capable canoes. Having the vhf and a gps with us on all of those boats is our normal operating procedure. Now we have a beautiful little hand held that combines them and floats!

I need to register the new radio with an MMSI number. I would like to use the same number I use for the fixed radio on the Islander. The new radio will be used on all of the boats including the Islander. That means it will be nowhere near the Islander sometimes. In another state or even another country.

My questions are:

Is there any reason I should not use the same MMSI number for both radios?

Des the fact that I got my MMSI number with my FCC radio license mean it will be recognized outside the U.S.? I understand that the Boat U.S numbers are not registered in an international database.

If I need to use the DSC function while paddling my racing canoe around Cape Ann it shouldn't matter that I am in an 18' canoe off the coast of Massachusetts and not in a 28' sailboat that is actually back up in Maine on its mooring that has the MMSI registered to its FCC license. Or sailing my catboat on Merrymeeting Bay in Southern Maine. Or...

Sounds simple enough. Just looking for some clarity.

Thanks,

down

Last edited by downeast450; 07-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: MMSI questions?

down-
You can register the handheld for a "portable" license instead of a ships station license. That makes it legal to use the handheld on any vessel, so you cover all your boats in one shot. The FCC recognizes this purpose for delivery crew (who may be taking their handheld with them on multiple trips, multiple boats) and others who may be moving about from boat to boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
downeast450 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: MMSI questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
down-
You can register the handheld for a "portable" license instead of a ships station license. That makes it legal to use the handheld on any vessel, so you cover all your boats in one shot. The FCC recognizes this purpose for delivery crew (who may be taking their handheld with them on multiple trips, multiple boats) and others who may be moving about from boat to boat.
hellosailor,

Thanks for your response. I looked at the FCC pages again. I am all about keeping my operation "legal". Since the primary use of the radio will be aboard the Islander. I think I will use that MMSI. It is already available to me and would be the number of choice. The "incidental" use of the radio on my other boats is not prohibited as far as I can see. I can't imagine using my hand held on another of my boats would lead to any trouble from the FCC or the CG. I would expect responses to the location of a DSC request regardless of which boat I was in.

Down