Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22

There was a post last week asking for price advice and most people quoted in between $3-5,000. While I understand each boat if unique un-to-itself around here in Arizona the entry price seems considerably higher and just today I stumbled across this at $7,600.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/3965261895.html

While I understand that this is "asking" I'm temped to look at it as it fills all my needs:

Looks like I can just sail it and not spend time and money getting it ship shape.

Already in a slip, no big deal I guess but makes a shake down cruise even easier

Has a trailer for the "cold winter months" out here when I may not use it from November to April.

Not a swing keel

Clean, clean and clean, I'm a tad obsessive.

I've never own a boat and was kind of hoping for something in the 25-27 ft range, Can you guys provide some expertise for a newbie from the pictures and your experience with a Catalina 22 along with top dollar you would consider for a boat like this.

Lake Pleasant has a sailing school so I could book some lessons and learn on what could be my own boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22

Waaaaay overpriced. He is trying to get back what he spent on it.

Here is a similar boat and the more popular swing keel version for $4k CLICKY

But it is your money and it looks like a ready to go turnkey boat.
Old 07-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
But it is your money and it looks like a ready to go turnkey boat.
That's what I was going to say, too. It still seems high to me, but you'd be getting what appears to be a very nice boat. Make an offer that you'd be comfortable paying. Sure, others will get C22's at a lower price, but if you're getting this one at a price you're happy with, you really have no reason to complain. Get a survey; if you like the findings and are still happy with what you'd be paying, then go for it.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Thats a real nice one. I think it really depends more on your needs and preferences. I think they are around $19k BRAND NEW. It all depends.

Yeah, thats high but----Look at it this way - if you really like it and you get a lot of use out of it, you can't possible lose enough money to make it a bad deal. For instance if you offer $5k, settle for 6.... even if you sell it for $4500 you are only out $1500 for 3 years of sailing.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 07-29-2013

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

If the upgrades done by the present owner are what you would have done yourself, then this boat is a good deal. (Think about the cost of a new headsail, bimini, battery, lines, cushions, reupholstery, etc., etc. - that stuff adds up fast!). But, as TQA says, you are reimbursing the owner for his upgrades - if there are things added that you wouldn't have done yourself, then that's a different matter.

I would also ask for greater clarification on the reasons the owner is selling the boat. "Having to move" is certainly understandable; however, he put a lot of money and effort into bringing this boat into great shape - as if he planned to use it for the long term. Not a deal-breaker, but I would be wondering whether you have the full story.
Old 07-29-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

A fixed keel version of the Catalina 22 is a rare find indeed, and will sail slightly better than it's swing counterpart.

The condition looks excellent, but the price is (assuming it has a trailer) definitely high even given the condition.

I suspect though it's a perfect turn-key boat, and you won't likely find one that nice at that age (which isn't terribly old for a sailboat) easily again.

The stove likely wasn't EVER used. I can't think of a good reason except boiling water to use one, unless you overnight for quite a while, which you likely would not enjoy much on a 22 footer.

But the important stuff, sails, motor, rigging looks well maintained.

I love the improvement list though (LED lights, tiller tamer, tiller, new sails, VHF, motor redone)... Geesh I did all that stuff... mine must be worth 10k then! (HA, in my dreams, if I could get $2000 more than I bought it for I'd be doing well, and have only lost $3000 for my time).

An 1988 Cat 22 in good shape with motor and trailer would likely run between $4000-$6000, for the lower 48. I'd put that one in "excellent" shape at least from as much as we can glean from pictures.

As for a new Catalina 22 costing $19k? Try again. How about $28k? and without a motor.
http://tinyurl.com/kzhvowq
Old 07-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I got the $19k number from this place which is always advertising them -
New 2013 Catalina 22 Sport Swing Keel, St. Petersburg, Fl - 33714 - BoatTrader.com
Old 07-29-2013

arlouper is on a distinguished road

I too am looking at C22's but in Austin, TX. We are in a severe draught, none of the public ramps are open on our biggest lake, and so people seem to be dumping boats left and right.

That said, two C22's came on the market here in the last week, both of them @ $2500.

Obviously, age, equipment, trailer availability, etc. affect price, the fact that in Austin you'd have to drive 200 miles to get it in the water right now...

Just my 2500 cents.
Old 07-29-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Yep, showing $21,882 now, without trailer, or any options, so it makes more sense now. Either way, I've gone through all up new pricing twice on a Capri 22 (a couple years ago), and it always worked out to over $22k (was like $24k with trailer and motor and that was after some haggle).

Don't rule out new by the way, if you want to make sure all the equipment is in top shape, and under warranty, then new is a viable option... plus you can configure as you like. Interest rates are still at pretty historic lows for loans too.

But I think for a trailerable you get your best "deal" still shopping around and finding the best used condition at your price point.
Old 07-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Wow, I didn't realize they were that "cheap" new. Still outside my budget and too small for my family and me, but $25K for a new boat isn't bad if the boat would meet your needs.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.