Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013

mtitus is on a distinguished road
1st Straight of Georgia passage

I just returned from a bit of a milestone for me and my crew- our first Straight of Georgia passage. Lots of fun although the wind kinda went away on us about halfway on the first leg.
On the return trip we had a nice NNW wind with a following sea and surfed all the way back to the Barfleur Passage. From there we had light winds until the turn toward Horseshoe Bay in Howe Sound. Ton's of fun. Looking forward to many more. We managed to shoot some video of this milestone.

I had hoped to post the visuals, but alas, my post count is at 9. Next time.

All and all the ol' girl (82 Catalina 27) performed pretty nicely.

Cheers and fair winds to you all,

Murray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Straight of Georgia passage

Nice Murray. We also did our first passage of the Strait of Georgia in the last month. The crossing from Naniamo to Half Moon Bay was in high winds (~25 knots) and we ran close hauled with both sails reefed. About 2/3rds of the way across the wind died down and we unreefed the sails and kept up our speed. We spent that night in Smuggler's Cove.

I'm sort of wondering if we could have run into you the next day anchoring in Van Dana (sp?) on Texana Island. We were sailing behind a Catalina 27 all day with a colorful wind seeker in light air, then anchored next to them in that harbor. We left very very early in the morning when the shifted 180 degrees.

We came back down Georgia Strait from Campbell River to Gabriola Passage about a week ago (this was over a 2 day period, we stayed at Hornby Island about halfway. There wasn't much wind, we ran the spinnaker for a while going about 3 knots, then motored the rest of the way.

A couple of photos, sorry about the large size (SailNet edits the Facebook URLs to make them huge). This is the Catalina 27 that we were sailing near:

A highlight of that day was watching a tanker airplane put out a fire in Powell River:

Flying the kite when we're heading south out of Hornby Island:
Old 07-29-2013

mtitus is on a distinguished road

Hello Alex,

No that was not us. Wish it had been

Here is a short video during our first leg, from Horseshoe Bay to Schooner Cove Vancouver Island.
Old 07-30-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Looks like you had a nice relaxing crossing!

The first time we took Schock Therapy across the straight, and my wife's first time ever, we had 15-20kts tight reaching. I had a great time at the helm because it was the first time I got a chance to sail the boat in decent wind and waves. Other than having a sore arm from working the tiller for 4 hours I had a great day, and my son slept all the way across! It wasn't until we were at our destination and I had a cocktail in my hand that I found out that my wife was quietly terrified the whole way across!

She's much better now that crossings have become routine! Last year we had porpoises playing in our bow wave coming back to Vancouver! We were so taken with the moment that we didn't even think of getting the camera out!
Hull#101
Old 07-30-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Nice smooth day Murray. My first time was a touch rougher than that, you could see the spray from the waves going completely over the bow of the freighters. And I was in a completely untested boat, just serviced by me (the first time I have ever serviced a diesel engine!). It was, umm, interesting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

How the hell did all of you get those good winds crossing over? I've been crossing since the early 70's and I've accumulated a lot more engine hours than sail wear & tear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.