Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Galley countertop refinishing

I've done a few tops with plastic laminate and it's pretty easy if you have exposed edges. All you need is contact cement and a sheet of plastic laminate that suits your taste. Then follow the directions on the contact cement label. Once it's set, run a trim bit along the edge with a router.

If you have a wood edging (I'm guessing you do) see if you can remove it. If not, you'll have to trim the laminate very precisely. If you can remove it without destroying it, the job will go a lot easier.

This is from a bar I built in our basement years ago. I used the same method described above then added the wood trim afterward.

The bar top is 1/4" oak veneer plywood. I would not recommend wood veneer for any top that will get a lot of use. The veneer is too thin, the core is not hard enough, the wood can get easily dinged and if there are any voids in the plywood core, weak spots will eventually show. Marine grade plywood is not supposed to have any voids but ... And something like 1/4" plywood is harder to work with than plastic laminate. You can probably find videos on laminate gluing on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I can't imagine a paint that would stand up to the inevitable knife blade or two to slice something - cutting boards don't always get used let's face it.

Even epoxy cuts and slices. Make a pattern from butcher paper then go have one cut from corian.
Old 07-30-2013

kunkwriter is on a distinguished road

Did a tile refinish on an old galley counter top. Bought the tile at home depot for 99 cents sheet (12x12) and used a dab of 3m 5200 on each tile. Grout was easy and cheap. I put the tile right on top of the old formica. Total cost was about $40 including the 5200. Has held up beautifully, and is easy to clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Galley countertop refinishing-img_1355.jpg  
MMR and oceangirl like this.
Old 07-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Here's a realy bad picture of my galley, for reference. I haven't measured it, but it's roughly 6' long (might be closer to 6.5') and MAYBE 2' wide. It has cut-outs for the sink, a storage compartment behind the sink, the stove area, and the ice box. The ice box and storage compartment lids match the counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I can't imagine a paint that would stand up to the inevitable knife blade or two to slice something - cutting boards don't always get used let's face it.

Even epoxy cuts and slices. Make a pattern from butcher paper then go have one cut from corian.
I'm not really looking at this as a long-term solution. I just want something to clean up the galley for a year or two until we figure out a more permanent solution. Though I probably should get an estimate for having a "real" counter made.

Yours is also the second time Corian was mentioned. Is Corian much lighter than granite? I've seen a few places where my countertops could be made from the cut-offs of other customers' granite counters.

Aeventyr60, I misunderstood your suggestion. I thought you were saying to buy an entire countertop (including the substrate) rather than just the layer of plastic. That's not a bad idea.

Julie, the bar looks really nice! I'll have to look into how hard it will be to take off the trim if I decide to go with another layer of mica.

Hmmm...sounds like a lunchtime trip to Lowes is in order...
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Jim, since your counter top is about 6 ft by 2 ft, one sheet of Formica (or high pressure plastic laminate) will be enough material to do the job. It comes 4 ft wide by 8,10 and 12 ft long. Lowes should have a selection. Think I spent $46.00 on a sheet of off white.
If you can get the fiddles (pretty sure thats the term for the wood edge treatment) off then trimming the Formica to the counter top edge is a snap. I've laid formica down before, its no big deal. Corian will not be within the $50.00 range. Its heavy, thick and expensive.

Looks like you can get to most of the edge with a router to trim the formica. What you can't get to with the router, use a mill bastard file.
jimgo likes this.
Old 07-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

personally, I don't mind the blue so much as i mind the circa-1986 -TGIFridays-green cushions.

As Chuck has pointed out, painting is gonna inevitably lead to scratches.

I think the countertop is begging to be covered in 1/8" baltic birch, with bartop epoxy poured overtop to seal and protect.
Or, use cork floor tiles, epoxy sealed.

But that's me. I like wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

jim, the countertop bullnose should come off fairly easily. usually it is simply nailed/stapled on. A bigger issue is gonna be getting the faucet and sink out.

Old 07-30-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

You probably won't get the fiddles off with out destroying them, they are probably screwed and glued. The router and maybe a dremel tool will be your best friends.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

BLJones, the sink sits loose in the countertop, and the faucet doesn't seem to be on all that well either. Originally, I was thinking that I wasn't impressed, but now that you mention removal, maybe it isn't such a bad thing.

As for the cushions, I agree, I'm not a fan. I re-did the cushions for my C25, and just the salon cushions took forever. Looking around at this boat, I'll have a MUCH bigger project. The fabric on these is actually in good shape, so, although I'm not a fan of the color, I'm also not in a rush to replace it.

I had thought about bartop epoxy. I originally was considering painting it white with oil-based Killz, then pouring the epoxy over it. But I'll have to figure out how to keep the epoxy from spilling into all the openings. My initial thought was to rub vaseline on some cardboard and staple that inside the openings to create a trim. But then I saw Chuck's comment about epoxy coatings and was second-guessing the idea.

I also saw this stuff:
Rust-Oleum 1-Qt. Countertop Tintbase - Kit-246068 at The Home Depot

But, again, I wasn't sure how it would hold up with the temperature swings and humidity that you get inside a boat.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-30-2013

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

Rustoleum makes Countertop Paint specifically for kitchen countertops. Home Depot has it, as I'm sure do other home improvement stores. Various colors and finishes, take a look at it.