Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA44 View Post
It's nice to have you back and writing, Brian. Along with your Photobucket blog, it appears that you guys are ensuring some awesome childhood memories for your boys.

BTW, while you we're out, I got what I'll need to join you out there!
Sweet! Can't wait to hear about it and see you out here. Don't forget, you buy the first round (and didn't you promise to babysit????). HEHEH! Just kidding. I am in Marathon for a bit. Sail on down!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've been twice. This is exactly my memory of the place. I also agree there is more to it, but this is dominant, IMO.

I'm an early riser and walk the streets around dawn, hunting for a cup of coffee. Drunks are usually found that either slept on benches or are still up from the night before.

I like a good beer bash as much as the next guy, but I would really need to be in the mood to go again.

The suggestion to stay in Marathon and head to KW when the mood strikes, sounds like the best advice to me.
Wife and I don't mind letting our hair down a bit too, but the drunks always get on my nerves (unless I am one of them... snicker).

I don't want to persuade anyone from going there. As I said, we are still having discussions about spending a lot more time there and we have kids! It is very vibrant and lots of energy. People are all very friendly. They have nice parks and lots of history. Duval is fun but avoidable. I LOVE (LOVE) the architecture there and often just walked down the streets and looked at the old KW historic houses. In some ways, it reminds me of New Orleans (private gardens that are lush and beautiful).

I will give one more word of caution for those sailing into KW Bight (or Galleon or the other one beside it, I forget the name): THey are piss poorly marked. One of our party tied up into the entirely wrong marina and I had to circle twice to find the right marina. THat is not as easy as it sounds because they do pack in the boats there and for those (like me) who are too much of a tight arse to buy a bow thruster, it can test your motoring skills. And I even studied the ariel maps on this before making the trip and still was going to the wrong marina!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I always enjoy Key West as well. Skip the tourist crap on Duvall Street, especially at night or when they release the cruise ship passengers into town.

It is a great little town for bike riding. There is some good Cuban food in town and some decent hole in the wall restaurants off the main drag (no pun intended). The sunset festivities are fun. A trip by car to the state park at Bahia Honda is a must.
Some awesome cuban food (and authentic!!). Good spot here in Marathon too.

Brian
jameswilson29 likes this.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Would one of the murderators please move this post to the proper section.....Introductions......not sure I have seen the person before,,,,and that mut, damn fugly looking thing I must say.....kids are not to bad either, nor is the women, that other human, can we say it is human?!?!?!?!?

obviously they did not sail the SLOOOOOW boat in puget sound, or at least not this summer as of yet........

Marty and mr cuteness Winston!
What? You wanna see the pic of me in my new Tarzan Speedo I got in Key West?

I was actually in WA last week. Was going to do Puget with dad, but he blew his engine outside of Port Townsend. Has spent the last 6 weeks there getting it pulled and replaced - so I passed this year. I think he just left for the SJ yesterday.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

The picture of the motor yacht "Wheels" is in fact owned by Rick Hendrick (Hendrick Motorsports). He and his wife were flying down a couple years ago on Jimmie Johnson's Gulfstream and the brakes crapped out on the plane upon landing. They spare no expense to make the cars work but the plane...aw hell...let's go.
Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
The picture of the motor yacht "Wheels" is in fact owned by Rick Hendrick (Hendrick Motorsports). He and his wife were flying down a couple years ago on Jimmie Johnson's Gulfstream and the brakes crapped out on the plane upon landing. They spare no expense to make the cars work but the plane...aw hell...let's go.
THat was what I heard too. Sorry, I dont watch racing so dont know all the names really well. But I will say that he has quite a large crew all dressed up in black pants and white shirts and bow ties scrubbing his boat. That is a whole other world!

I never heard about the plane! Unreal!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Thanks Gary!

Sure wish I could see you down here this winter. Melissa got her new tub... maybe you can hitch a ride with her?

Not sure why visibility has gone down. I also noticed that over the years, the reefs around Marathon have gotten a bit more bleached. I also noticed a lot of bleaching in the Tortugas the last time I was there... more than I remember over the last ten years.

All this said, I do not want to discourage anyone from Key West. We have actually talked about doing our summer there instead of Marathon and I know we will be heading back soon. I found Key West was full of surprises and the people really are some of the nicest (if not the nicest) in the keys.

A few words of warning though for those with kids (and maybe without):

Got hit by a prostitute not long after dark... in the middle of the street!! Alcohol use is HEAVY and the chicks do hit on the guys as much or more than the other way around. Had a friends cell phone stolen at a bar. Basically, after dark, it gets crazy. Before dark, it is pretty kid friendly.

I think a lot of people go there to get hammered and party all night. THat's fine, but that is not really what it is all about. There is a lot of history and things to do outside of that. There is some really good food and I think it is reasonably priced (for the keys)... and maybe cheaper than Marathon. I did not even mention the museums (Mel Fishers is great) or beaches. There is also a lot of great musicians. I played out on the dock with another fellow and felt like a kid with a Kazoo compared to some of the guys and gals down there.

I bet you could light it up some Gary!!

Brian

We too did Key West kids in tow and found that the Duval Street/bar district wasn't kid friendly pretty much anytime of day. Not that my Fourteen year old son minded the the bare butt string bikinis, or that I minded them either, just not age appropriate for teens and pre teens. Then the drug addicts selling palm fromm bowls etc, not something for the kids to see either.

WE took the kids down to the Duval Street area in the morning figuring that the partiers would be sleeping it off. That turned out to be only partly the case. Not that anything wild was going on, just some inappropriate dress. That said, the rest of the town was just fine for the family.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

I'm sitting at my desk, staring at the computer and I keep thinking about this shot.

Big sigh...

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 07-31-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=JimMcGee;1067278]I'm sitting at my desk, staring at the computer and I keep thinking about this shot.
Yeah, I've been trying to find something wrong with the composition of this shot all day too.
Old 07-31-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I'm sitting at my desk, staring at the computer and I keep thinking about this shot.

Big sigh...
Hi CD. Thanks for the write-up on Key West. We never made it there. You did come by our boat to say "hi" in Boot Key. Thanks for taking the time.

You must have some inside info on this year's hurricane season? The Keys?

We did make it to George Town, and I seriously thought of staying there for the hurricane season, but chickened out! We are in Brunswick, Georgia now but the water sucks!!!! If it's safe in the keys this year, we're on our way!

Ralph

Temporary home | sailing away with R & B