Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Key West

I know of three boats that rode out hurricanes in Sister Creek, said it was like being in a mill pond, and during the same time Boot Key Harbor was a wash-machine. They all spider webbed their boats in the mangroves and stayed aboard to ride out the storms. I've been through Sister Creek in 40 MPH winds and it was flat as a pool table.

I was hoping to sail down again in 2014/15, but my wife said if I did, I would be available to the ladies because I would damned well be single again. I told her "Don't tempt me." I should be out of the hospital in a few days.

I will be driving down this winter to Marathon, then to several other locations where I'll meet up with friends and play some music. Should be there by the end of January or early February, and hopefully, spend at least two or three weeks in Marathon.

Marathon, IMO, caters more to a somewhat older crowd, folks ranging from 45 to 85 and older. Those under 45 tend to migrate more to Key West and the party hearty lifestyle. The folks in Marathon love to party, probably more than those in Key West, but they don't get totally plastered and end up sleeping on a bench or someone's lawn. The Marathon crew loves older music, loves to dance, loves to sing, and they sure drink a lot better quality booze.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I know of three boats that rode out hurricanes in Sister Creek, said it was like being in a mill pond, and during the same time Boot Key Harbor was a wash-machine. They all spider webbed their boats in the mangroves and stayed aboard to ride out the storms. I've been through Sister Creek in 40 MPH winds and it was flat as a pool table.
Yeah, I do think Sister Creek could work. Nice place to clean the dink close by, too!

We sure enjoyed Boot Key, and stayed for two months. Of course, we are over 60!

Ralph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Ralph, I'm over 70 - but I loved every minute of the place. I know exactly where you are talking about to clean the dink - I scrubbed the bottom of mine near the mouth of the creek on a sandy beach area adjacent to the public beach. Coral sand does a great job in removing the slime and crud from the bottom of the dink.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 08-01-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

No Brian, I do not want to see you in a speedo! much less in shorts and a t-shirt, unless you are buying the drinks........then I'll have a DARK pair of sunglass's on...

WHere was he in PT? I was up there for a bit today.....maybe I saw his boat with out knowing it.........

Marty
Old 08-01-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
The picture of the motor yacht "Wheels" is in fact owned by Rick Hendrick (Hendrick Motorsports). He and his wife were flying down a couple years ago on Jimmie Johnson's Gulfstream and the brakes crapped out on the plane upon landing. They spare no expense to make the cars work but the plane...aw hell...let's go.
Unfortunately, "Hell, let's go" has played a tragic roll,as it relates to aviation at Hendrick Motor Sports.

Rick Hendrick's son, brother, and nieces were among ten people killed in 2004 when a Hendrick's Motorsports Beachcraft King Air flew into a fog shrouded mountainside after executing a missed approach to a small airport in Virginia. The investigation into the crash showed that 27 other aircraft had diverted to another airport rather than attempt landing at the mountain strip. Testimony also showed that John Hendrick, President of HMS and onboard the plane, had insisted that the plane not divert as it would have made them late for the race they were flying to. The Pilots gave in to the boss and paid with their lives.

So it goes in corporate aviation. Had the pilots refused the boss they likely would have been unemployed shortly thereafter.

Sad day all around.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-01-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Hi CD. Thanks for the write-up on Key West. We never made it there. You did come by our boat to say "hi" in Boot Key. Thanks for taking the time.

You must have some inside info on this year's hurricane season? The Keys?

We did make it to George Town, and I seriously thought of staying there for the hurricane season, but chickened out! We are in Brunswick, Georgia now but the water sucks!!!! If it's safe in the keys this year, we're on our way!

Ralph

Temporary home | sailing away with R & B
Hey Ralph! How are you and Bev?? Good to hear from you. I was wondering how you were. We went in to visit you and you were gone.

BTW, we were put on U5 on the mooring field... wasn't that your old ball?

Anyways, yep, still in the keys. Hopefully the storms will be kind to us this year. SO far so good. I have a 6 foot draft, so Sister isn't a great option for me, but I know many others will be heading in there if the big one is coming.

Hopefully will see you back down here this winter. Take care.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

I was hoping to sail down again in 2014/15, but my wife said if I did, I would be available to the ladies because I would damned well be single again. I told her "Don't tempt me." I should be out of the hospital in a few days.

I will be driving down this winter to Marathon, then to several other locations where I'll meet up with friends and play some music. Should be there by the end of January or early February, and hopefully, spend at least two or three weeks in Marathon.

Marathon, IMO, caters more to a somewhat older crowd, folks ranging from 45 to 85 and older. Those under 45 tend to migrate more to Key West and the party hearty lifestyle. The folks in Marathon love to party, probably more than those in Key West, but they don't get totally plastered and end up sleeping on a bench or someone's lawn. The Marathon crew loves older music, loves to dance, loves to sing, and they sure drink a lot better quality booze.

Cheers,

Gary
Heya Gary, let us know when you are coming down. I would love to meet you! You can also meet the fam. We will exchange margarita recipes. Maybe I can even talk Kris into making us some banana bread!!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-01-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Hopefully will see you back down here this winter. Take care.

Brian
Yep, we were on U-5. I guess we left quietly...we hoped to meet up with Ellen and Bob, but they broke their boat on the crossing over. Unfortunately, we missed them in Bimini.

We'll look you up if we get back there. I'm not sure, we may just head back to the Bahamas in November.

Best wishes, and hope the storms leave you alone!

Ralph

Old 08-02-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Yep, we were on U-5. I guess we left quietly...we hoped to meet up with Ellen and Bob, but they broke their boat on the crossing over. Unfortunately, we missed them in Bimini.

We'll look you up if we get back there. I'm not sure, we may just head back to the Bahamas in November.

Best wishes, and hope the storms leave you alone!

Ralph
Yeah, we stay in touch with Bob and Ellen. Good people. THey are still in FTL last I heard. Tried to talk them into Key West with us, but they had another issue that took precedence.

ANyways, if you guys come back down, let us know. If not, mayb we can hook up in the Bahamas or something.

Take care!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.