Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Not yet, one step at a time.

1. Filing the compliants
2. DOL reviews the case and evidences
3. DOL takes action if any
4. DOL open mediation and compensation
4. DOL grants the right to sue
5. Looking for a lawyer

This will take months and years perhaps, Patience is a virtue. Even they win, they will lose big time.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
If DOL is sided on our case, the legal action will follow.
You know who else I would have dealings with on a personal level?, The SOB race organizer that hung up on you
JimMcGee, rockDAWG and carl762 like this.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-31-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
UFB... Is this for real?

Seriously, dude - you need to get your own boat...

Until then, you need to get better at reading the Warning Signs... :-)
Buying my own boat will not satisfy my craving for off shore sailing. If I have my own boat, I will end up putting around the boat at the dock all day, week and year, just like most of you folks.

Without my own boat, I can be in Hawaii last week, TCI next week, Central America the week after, and Azores the next!!! Granted, privilege to sail other's boat comes with responsibility and risk. We just have to manage it.

Like I said before, I was shaken but not broken. I am determined as ever. Some may say I am arrogant. Perhaps, but this is my life, I choose to live the what I like it. If my wife and grown children endorse my style, who do I need to get approval.

No regret.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-31-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
You know who else I would have dealings with on a personal level?, The SOB race organizer that hung up on you
This was very disappointed from the longest race committee of world. Jake has previously called to alert them, they did nothing and just ignore his sat phone messages (no reply).

Their revisit safety inspection from the race committee was a joke, I know I was there. The Caribbean 1500 rally team did a better job than these TransPac guys.

Just be patience, one step at a time. Once DOL hands out their rulings, we will have the free ticket to forward.

I studied the book of "Art of War" very well when I was a young man and later in life in English translation.

Fine Print:
Old 07-31-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

I may joke with you about the movie thing but, this was a serious deal and in light of the string of tragic losses we suffered over the last couple years, to have that kind of response in this kind of race from the race officials is down right scary.
JimMcGee, rockDAWG and LoboPops like this.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I may joke with you about the movie thing but, this was a serious deal and in light of the string of tragic losses we suffered over the last couple years, to have that kind of response in this kind of race from the race officials is down right scary.
Not to belabor the point - but this is why this is interesting to me.

Purely from the RA's and CG's perspective, it basically boils down to a complete relationship breakdown between skipper and crew on a boat in the middle of a race. Though it is undoubtedly miserable and somewhat insane, it is not immediately life-threatening.

The only real fix is to work it out long enough to get to safety. Which RockD did.

What CAN the CG and/or RA realistically do beyond giving this advice? It's a very, very tricky situation that I bet doesn't pop up very often.
rockDAWG likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-31-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

What a nightmare. Actually several nights.

Jack

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 07-31-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
I agree. Most of this organizations are a money making machine in the good old boy club. They charge the participant $3500 plus all other fees. The sale of merchandise and media coverage etc are lots of profits.

I did closed to 10K nm sailing in just short few years, I have never needed to go out on deck in pitch dark to fix anything so urgently. In this voyage, 4 out 6 wild gybes, Jake and I had to get on deck in the dark to rescue or to tame the spinnaker. The spinnaker was so enormous and powerful that I was yanked airborne a couple time. I was Hoisted 4 time to the forestay when the boat was in motion. I was being swung and banged against the forestay. I was not afraid of dying. But dying for Harry's stupidity is not I have in mind.

Harry has been living in this country for 16 years who has not learned how to behave properly and respect another human being. His way of life must be stopped. Look at his way to treat his partner in the last two days of the voyage. What an evil man!!!

Jake: I hope you coming in soon. Insert some of your words in here.

Fine Print:

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-31-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

HOLY MOLLY BATMAN there is a Sushi chief/captain Harry and he is looking for help at his eatery.
If you want to apply here is the link.
Sushi Chef and / or Preparation Helper - Los Angeles - Sushi A GoGo

Drop a line to Harry, let him know you like sailing.

Here are the requirements:
Required Experience:
Clean good public image and appearance.
Some knowledge of Sushi.
Dependable, with a cooperative nature.
Old 07-31-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My secretary did some work for me regarding the Labor Law in CA. I can file three complaints against the company
• Violation (for not providing sufficient safety and welfare of the employee, water, etc.)
• Retaliation (for threatening after you called CG)
• Wage (for not reimbursing the expenses to go home)

The boat is in the name of the corporation, was used as a tax write off, we were the employee of the company and were protected by the labor law of California. All three complaints are well documented in our correspondings (emails), video, pictures, and voice recordings. If DOL is sided on our case, the legal action will follow.
Hmmm, change of heart, eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody died on this voyage, right?

Quote:
As much as I dislike my lawyers, since they and their firm suck my dry. I think in the Bounty case, the lawsuit is justified. In the case of Rule 62, I don't think it is justified.

But this is just me. YMMV.