Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013

diverchick71 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to diverchick71
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

At work dammit...have to go. Will be back to read the rest!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Sounds as if a good time was had by all!
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 08-01-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
That aside, and to the OP:

Yes, I found the story to be interesting. At least, initially. Though, imho, you seem hardly without fault. While I do get that crewing for the transpac is/was the main draw I was admittedly surprised in light of your introduction, that you chose to go.

While it certainly sounds like this guy was an insufferable bastard, I do wonder what part you played wrt the seemingly ongoing explosive dynamics. Bc, from your description, it certainly sounds like your role in this particular fiasco was not small.

For example, the way you repeatedly harp about his ESL and him not behaving to your standards? He's been in the country for 16 years, and you expect him to suddenly, what? Sound like someone who grew up speaking US english? Assimilate to your customs?

Aside: You do understand that cultures vary widely? Even within and between communities in the good ole USofA. Moreover, you really should educate yourself on linguistics. Just sayin...

But, I digress.

From your description, it sounded like you had absolutely no respect for this man from the get go. If this is the case, he very likely picked up on that. Which, of course, not surprisingly, exacerbated the situation.

That you are now considering suing this guy is very sad. You chose to go. Even with all of the up-front warning signs. I do not know about other readers but I certainly would not risk even having you aboard my boat, much less crewing on even a short jaunt.

And last but not least. There's this bit:

I think the idiom, , "beggars can't be choosers" is apropos here. Esp considering that you seem intent on crewing on other people's boats. People whom, by your very words above, you seem to disrespect their choice to actually own/work and pay for the upkeep of their boats. And yet, you want a free ride? Please.

That said, transpac is a great race. Quite a few of my dockmates have not only crewed but also done the singlehanded transpac. The people who run it and sail it, love sailing.

That you characterize them as a money making machine... that you would even remotely consider going after as a result of your poor choice, leaves me wondering why you even wanted to crew in this race in the first place.
Ugh...I give up on bolding the the relevant comments. The whole darned post pretty much nails it.

Shadow, you are wise my dear. I bow to your superior articulation.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
thefacts (08-21-2013)
Old 08-01-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Nightowl, it is a good advise and has wisdom. I will certainly take heart to consider this calmly and logically. Thanks.
Counting to ten is always good advice - Wish I had always heeded what my Dad told me
Old 08-01-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
...where all the Tahitian women were topless...
Not only topless, but sported breasts that were like horns on a buffalo...
I would have stayed too... by hiding deep in the interior before the Bounty sailed out of the harbor, so I could later pretend I just missed the boat.
Old 08-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Interesting snippet from SA:

Quote:
Tony-F18, on 01 Aug 2013 - 10:37, said:

I thought the story might be juiced up a little for the sake of a good story, until I found their restaurants's Yelp page:

Review by a customer:

EXTREMELY RUDE, nasty cashier running this place. Service is usually not at the top of my priorities when eating from a little stall in the wall at the farmer's market but this guy went from rude to rabid dog in about 30 seconds. I ordered a few rolls, he gives me change back then walks up to the sushi counter to grab the fish WITHOUT WASHING HIS HANDS OR PUTTING ON GLOVES!! Had I not been watching his every move I would have been tasting dirty cash register fingers in my spicy tuna hand roll. ( I was watching him since from the get go I got the feeling that this was the kind of guy who would spit in your food and call it a garnish).

I kindly requested that he put on gloves and he barked some incoherent annoyingly shrieking broken English at me. I kept calm and tried to explain to the guy that he was required to wear gloves and that If he did not I had the right to ask him to. The guy continued to argue with me but Its amazing how the words HEALTH DEPARTMENT are universally understood in the restaurant world.

This was a total fiasco. The sushi was OK but the cashier needed a muzzle and an attitude makeover.
Sound familiar RDawg?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-01-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

PLEASE someone go to his eatery with a video camera to catch one of his melt downs.
I'd do it but I live in east Tennessee.
Old 08-01-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I smell the beginnings of a new reality show. RDawg if you could stand to do a weekly sailing with the guy their might be some serious bucks in it for you. Just hire some chase boats to pull you out of the drink on occasion, adds to the drama. It makes "Deadliest Catch" look like child's play. Maybe Jake's transpac tape could be the teaser. It sounds like Jake has some experience in this realm.

Now what would this new reality series be called?
JimMcGee and juggleandhope like this.
Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
Now what would this new reality series be called?
"Don't Rock the boat!"

Brian
JomsViking likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-01-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
My crewing/captaining luck finally ran out on me, I was shaken but not broken. I need reinvent my luck to continue to sail the great ocean ours.
Been there..done this.. I can attest to the 'Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde' personality change(s) of a trip to long on a small boat in a big ocean with a crew and Captain that appeared to be somewhat normal on land and completly irrational once at sea.

It's easy now with internet background checks that may possibly eliminate or shed light on some possible problems.