Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Interesting snippet from SA:

Sound familiar RDawg?
This will continue the threads drift, but I think it needs to be said. I am sure the sarcastic personal attack will begin after I post this.

Steve,

Why would you cherry pick out the WORST review of 48 on Yelp of this establishment. Was this to justify your point of view. I really have no knowledge of this place personally...nor do you.

In the interest of fair play and objectivity I have linked the other 47 reviews which present an UNBIASED more objective opinion.

It appears this establishment has its critics and its supporters and falls somewhat in the middle of the road in terms of reviews, trending to the positive.

Sushi A Go Go - Mid-City West - Los Angeles, CA

Sushi A Go Go - Reviews & Menu - Mid-Wilshire - Los Angeles 90036

https://foursquare.com/v/sushiagogo/

The continued personal attack on this gentleman without corroboration of the posted story seems ludicrous. Then to take it from the Transpac 2013 Race to his business establishment and who he hires is even a larger jump into the unknown. The whole post from Rockdawg is a good story andseems personal in nature.

I will reserve a detailed post of the questions and inconsistencies I have till later, but suffice it to say that Rockdawg has shouldered zero responsibility for the alleged accounts of what took place other than a poor choice of captains on his part.

One can only wonder why someone would ignore all the warning signs present before leaving on the race and risk life and limb on a large ocean passage with someone you clearly did not know or trust and had reservations about.

If there is one thing to learn if you even only believe 10% of this tale, is that you shouldn't sail off with someone you have the slightest doubt in their ability or their character.

This would seem to be a major lapse in judgment. Good judgment is one of the keys to risk management. More to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

RD,
I was shocked when I read about your horrific experience on the Transpac. I have heard stories from friends about their “race from hell” but your story beats them all hands down. One common theme in all the stories is the lack of proper provisioning. I think that if you see that the boat isn’t properly provisioned – cut your losses and walk away then and there.

Can you clarify a couple of things? Did the Jeaneau have a symmetric or A-kite? How were the crew positions outlined at the start? You mentioned that you were the navigator, yet Jake was downloading the GRIBs and Harry was setting the course. It seems to me that Harry used your’ s and Jake’s resumes in order to qualify for the race? Was the agreement that you and Jake would crew in exchange for free transportation and food during the trip? Can you post the link to the NOR and SI’s? How did you guys do your morning check-in? Also through the SATphone? Does the Transpac allow for autohems? How did you manage the energy consumption on the boat?

I am a little surprised of the casual attitude on the part of the Transpac race committee. I wonder if they have gotten complacent over the years as the vast majority of boats racing are sleds crewed by rock stars? I’m not sure you have much recourse against the RC. Somewhere in that paperwork you must have signed a crew waiver. My experience in running regattas is there isn’t much money to go after – one of the biggest expenses is the D&O insurance premium to defend the RC against lawsuits. As to the RC providing conflict counciling, don't expect them to provide "marriage counciling services" or the USCG to air drop a social worker anytime soon. (I think it is even covered in the NOR under the section pertaining to the "skipper's responsibility to race".)

My experience with the PacCup was the opposite. We had a very rigorous inspection a month ahead of the race. Half of the crew had to have a current SAS certificate and previous ocean racing experience. We had to demonstrate that our emergency rudder could turn the boat in a complete 360 in under two minutes and we needed to certify that we “passed” a MOB drill. There were countless other requirements (I have a 2” binder at home chronicling our preparation.)

Flying a kite at sea is a lot more difficult than inshore. The way Hawaii (Oahu) is situated in the trades, you have to steer really deep angles – just right for a head stay wrap. Not all ocean racers may agree, but we swear by using a “spinnaker net”. This is a simple set-up using webbing shaped like a big letter “A” (with three cross pieces). You hoist using the spare jib halyard and one leg goes to the base of the mast and the other behind the stem fitting. The “net” is like kryptonite to a spinnaker intent on head stay wrapping. The sail just touches the “net” then bounces back to where it belongs.

The big difference between the Eastern and Western Pacific is the lack of islands on the eastern side. The PacCup race will place you the furthest from land in all ocean races and is second only to Point Nemo in remoteness. If you slide too far south in the trades on the way to Hawaii, your next best landfall are the Line Islands.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 08-01-2013 at 01:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (08-04-2013)
Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
RD,
I was shocked when I read about your horrific experience on the Transpac. I have heard stories from friends about their “race from hell” but your story beats them all hands down. One common theme in all the stories is the lack of proper provisioning. I think that if you see that the boat isn’t properly provisioned – cut your losses and walk away then and there.

Can you clarify a couple of things? Did the Jeaneau have a symmetric or A-kite? How were the crew positions outlined at the start? You mentioned that you were the navigator, yet Jake was downloading the GRIBs and Harry was setting the course. It seems to me that Harry used your’ s and Jake’s resumes in order to qualify for the race? Was the agreement that you and Jake would crew in exchange for free transportation and food during the trip? Can you post the link to the NOR and SI’s? How did you guys do your morning check-in? Also through the SATphone? Does the Transpac allow for autohems? How did you manage the energy consumption on the boat?

I am a little surprised of the casual attitude on the part of the Transpac race committee. I wonder if they have gotten complacent over the years as the vast majority of boats racing are sleds crewed by rock stars? I’m not sure you have much recourse against the RC. Somewhere in that paperwork you must have signed a crew waiver. My experience in running regattas is there isn’t much money to go after – one of the biggest expenses is the D&O insurance premium to defend the RC against lawsuits. As to the RC providing conflict counciling, don't expect them to provide "marriage counciling services" or the USCG to air drop a social worker anytime soon. (I think it is even covered in the NOR under the section pertaining to the "skipper's responsibility to race".)

My experience with the PacCup was the opposite. We had a very rigorous inspection a month ahead of the race. Half of the crew had to have a current SAS certificate and previous ocean racing experience. We had to demonstrate that our emergency rudder could turn the boat in a complete 360 in under two minutes and we needed to certify that we “passed” a MOB drill. There were countless other requirements (I have a 2” binder at home chronicling our preparation.)

Flying a kite at sea is a lot more difficult than inshore. The way Hawaii (Oahu) is situated in the trades, you have to steer really deep angles – just right for a head stay wrap. Not all ocean racers may agree, but we swear by using a “spinnaker net”. This is a simple set-up using webbing shaped like a big letter “A” (with three cross pieces). You hoist using the spare jib halyard and one leg goes to the base of the mast and the other behind the stem fitting. The “net” is like kryptonite to a spinnaker intent on head stay wrapping. The sail just touches the “net” then bounces back to where it belongs.

The big difference between the Eastern and Western Pacific is the lack of islands on the eastern side. The PacCup race will place you the furthest from land in all ocean races and is second only to Point Nemo in remoteness. If you slide too far south in the trades on the way to Hawaii, your next best landfall are the Line Islands.
That is the best post yet. Great post, George.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

BTW, I thought you couldn't Autopilot on that race? Didn't that disqualify you? Would that be why the captain refused it?

Do you know George?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-01-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
BTW, I thought you couldn't Autopilot on that race? Didn't that disqualify you? Would that be why the captain refused it?
From the 2013 transpac rules:
1.6 Auto pilot use is only permitted for double handed boats.
Old 08-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

If you read some of the check-in information from the race committee, you'll see that once the Autopilot was used, the boat was DQ'd.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-01-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quite honestly, I feel that there is a lot more to this story than we are getting here.
However, be that as it may be, the fact that you were aboard that boat 10 seconds after leaving the dock w/o topping up the water tanks on a 2225 mile voyage, makes all that followed YOUR fault, even if you had a water maker aboard, which you did not mention.
I have never heard anything so stupid in over 50 years of voyaging! Who needs sails when one is dying from dehydration? Or navigation?
If you want to continue sailing and making a living aboard boats, you are going to have to work on your judgement skills. It was totally irresponsible for you to sail on that boat and no one should expect you to honor your agreement to do so, if the captain attempted to leave the dock w/o filling the tanks.
Do not try to make your part in this horror story anyone's fault but your own. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THERE!
chef2sail and lancelot9898 like this.
Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
If you read some of the check-in information from the race committee, you'll see that once the Autopilot was used, the boat was DQ'd.
Thats what I have been saying. I wonder if RD knew that and the captain did too, which is why he did not want to run the AP?

I guess only RD and the captain know the answer to that.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-01-2013

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road

A few points as we collaborate together to make sense of the experience RD has shared with the forum;

1. Filing with the California Department of Labor seems ethically required - that's how we protect other workers from employer abuse. To not do so is like leaving a bottle lying on a public staircase - even though you don't know who will fall or how bad they'll be injured, you know you've got to pick up the bottle. Another benefit of filing with the DOL would be that, after initial filing, the DOL pursues the case and eats the time and energy of the scary people, without much additional impetus from you. In other words, it has the beauty of a washing machine or setting a sail and won't require much of your life to keep it going. Any passage-making captain who would blackball you as crew for continuing to guarantee the safety of your fellow sailors (as you did in the original "mutiny") would be pledging an absurd allegiance to a ruling-class-solidarity over safety and decency and you'd be better off not on their boats.

2. Several posters have published personal attacks on RD and blamed him for the experience he and the others had to survive. Although the crudeness of these attacks seem initially surprising I think we're all familiar with the urge to blame victims. If it's the victims fault it's no one else's problem, I'm not endangered because I won't make the mistake the victim did, I'm absolved of solidarity in the face of injustice, and so forth. I'd like to imagine that the most unsympathetic people (like Ellidyr in the Black Cauldron) actually have the largest hearts and thus have the most fear of opening them - like how the most angrily homophobic men sometimes have surprising blood-flows in research studies?

3. Congrats to RD on not throwing the two bosses overboard. You would have regretted it later, probably, and thus you should feel proud that you handled the situation well enough that everyone could walk away. Congrats also on keeping the faith with your fellow crew - sometimes in crazy situations unless you're strong and lucky everyone turns on everyone as each small "betrayal" feels threatening. Sounds like you two did great in not turning on each other and in sailing the boat to a safe port. I'm curious how you managed to work out the moments when the two of you felt at cross-purposes - you describe the first one, when he thought exiting the race and you told him to do what he thought was right.

4. In terms of Bligh, I remember reading in his journal that several sailors tried the hide-in-the-woods trick and despite help from very friendly Tahitians it didn't work. From the reading I've done it seems that one factor in the decision to mutiny had to do with Bligh's mixed role as both the person who oversees provision-dispensing and the person allowed to profit by substituting cheap provisions for customary ones. I've also read a hypothesis that perhaps Bligh's violence, which didn't particularly exceed other captains', had a different "tone" because he himself wasn't an aristocrat but desperately wanted to be accepted as one. People hate wanna-bes. Finally, I'll point out that his other major appointment, Governor of (what's now called) Australia, also ended in a successful revolution.

Thanks again for sharing the story so we can all learn from it, RD.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 08-01-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

With all due respect to those who cast RD's account in a negative light, and I do mean this with the respect; look, you weren't there and the boat and crew arrived intact, so who are you to judge?
And RD, your post while exceptionally gripping and exciting, should have stuck to the facts as you saw them, and left personalities out; I mean completely out.
IMHO
Dick
opc11 likes this.