Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph555 View Post
...the account of RD crewman was right in the fact that the owner and friend had very little spin exp., ...
I suspected as much after I did a search and found a few fairly recent race results showing Aquarius sailing in non-spinnaker classes. Somehow, I would think that the TransPac wouldn't be a great venue to try improving ones limited sail-handling skills.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I've had skippers try violence or days of fetal position. The violence doesn't work as I'm 6' 7" and 235 and the fetal is easy ,, just sail the boat.It's all about the personalities and weaknesses of the characters involved. I've got some tales to tell but this one takes the hardtac. On to the next adventure.
Old 08-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I was asked to run that race team and got Don Souther and Duncon Harrison as teammates.... Duncon has been on 4 transPacs and won on Willow Wind (Cal 40)... they wanted me to trade Duncon for the 86yr old woman!!! The owner (in a text) said she made for a good drinking partner!.... Talked to Don and Duncon and under the advise of Don's brother Bob, Sam Heck and Merry, Steve Tregor (Grand Illusion), Richard Parlette(White Knight), and practically everyone else we ran for the hills!!! That boat should never have left the dock!!!... we all feel sorry for the crew RD and Jake and believe there is truth in that report as I have raced that boat to PV and dealt with these people before!.. they are decent people but their flair-ups are notorious!

Aquarius passed quite easily the pre-race inspection, as it was campaigned as a live-aboard boat that races and therefore be measured/weighed as is (compared to another similar boat by the inspector it passed specs.) Unfortunately, the boat had no real sail arsenal and being a virtual last-minute entry it somewhat slipped its way through the cracks.... the account of RD crewman was right in the fact that the owner and friend had very little spin exp., in fact, we had the same problems in the PV race although we managed a 2nd.
(FYI)...cheers, Randy
Thanks for the details Randy. That puts the whole thing a bit more into perspective.

But obviously you haven't seen the 86 y.o. on the coffee grinder after a case or two of beer. She's a madman.
juggleandhope likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-01-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
But obviously you haven't seen the 86 y.o. on the coffee grinder after a case or two of beer. She's a madman.
Would love to hear what she was doing during the screaming matches and physical fights. It's a curious cat sorta thing...
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 08-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I still don't know why RDawg and Jake didn't duct tape Captain Furious into the boasun's chair, run him up the mast, and leave him.

And the 86 y.o.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I still don't know why RDawg and Jake didn't duct tape Captain Furious into the boasun's chair, run him up the mast, and leave him.

And the 86 y.o.

And what right would he have to imprison the Captain of the vessel. Just because he got his feelings hurt and didn't like being yelled at. Just because he didn't agree with the Captains decisions? Just because he felt he had superior knowledge than the Captain? None of that would justify taking over the boat and mutinying.

RD has ridiculed the Captain and BTW his self professed attitude to those who own boats by his own statements in this thread and others.

Did you ever think maybe that's why the CG recommended what they did and didn't get involved. Lots of accusations, rants and threats by Rockdawg....against the owner and his business, against the race organizers of the Transpac, against the Coast Guard. Yet nothing being done but airing it here. Sounds like a paper tiger.

Strange wonder why?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
I was asked to run that race team and got Don Souther and Duncon Harrison as teammates.... Duncon has been on 4 transPacs and won on Willow Wind (Cal 40)... they wanted me to trade Duncon for the 86yr old woman!!! The owner (in a text) said she made for a good drinking partner!.... Talked to Don and Duncon and under the advise of Don's brother Bob, Sam Heck and Merry, Steve Tregor (Grand Illusion), Richard Parlette(White Knight), and practically everyone else we ran for the hills!!! That boat should never have left the dock!!!... we all feel sorry for the crew RD and Jake and believe there is truth in that report as I have raced that boat to PV and dealt with these people before!.. they are decent people but their flair-ups are notorious!

Aquarius passed quite easily the pre-race inspection, as it was campaigned as a live-aboard boat that races and therefore be measured/weighed as is (compared to another similar boat by the inspector it passed specs.) Unfortunately, the boat had no real sail arsenal and being a virtual last-minute entry it somewhat slipped its way through the cracks.... the account of RD crewman was right in the fact that the owner and friend had very little spin exp., in fact, we had the same problems in the PV race although we managed a 2nd.
(FYI)...cheers, Randy
Randy....

Thank you for shedding light on their reputation. You are obviously experienced and have experienced friends, as you showed good judgment in not going with them a second time without your friends, but you were thinking about it till they nixed your friend replaced by the 86year old. If it was terrible the first time to PV why did you even consider going again?

Would you agree there is a big difference between the run to Hawaii and the run to Puerto Vharda? Was this boat adequately outfitted ( besides the sails) to do this passage safely. Did it have the proper safety equipment?

I noticed you just joined Sailnet and this is your first post, so how did you find out about this controversy? What boat did you eventually get a ride on?

You said you texted with the Captain. Do you have the Captains e mail address. Could you PM it to me. It might be nice to here the other side of this story also

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-01-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
And what right would he have to imprison the Captain of the vessel. Just because he got his feelings hurt and didn't like being yelled at. Just because he didn't agree with the Captains decisions? Just because he felt he had superior knowledge than the Captain? None of that would justify taking over the boat and mutinying.

RD has ridiculed the Captain and BTW his self professed attitude to those who own boats by his own statements in this thread and others.

Did you ever think maybe that's why the CG recommended what they did and didn't get involved. Lots of accusations, rants and threats by Rockdawg....against the owner and his business, against the race organizers of the Transpac, against the Coast Guard. Yet nothing being done but airing it here. Sounds like a paper tiger.

Strange wonder why?
Easy there Tarzan. It was a joke.

You can find the guy's contact info on the interwebs if you look. Actually go up to the help wanted link in this thread.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-01-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
Easy there Tarzan. It was a joke.

You can find the guy's contact info on the interwebs if you look. Actually go up to the help wanted link in this thread.
I have done that already thanks.

That e mail was a Generic e mail for the business. No answer on the cell. Was hoping since Randolf had already spoken directly to him there was an alternative number

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
HeartsContent (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

SA does not seem to be quite as ready to skewer the captain while lauding RD & "Jake" as heroes. In fact, I think this individual nails the situation rather well.