Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

I just googled RD under his professional name. He sounds like a piece of work all on his own.
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Just one thing...as RDawg mentioned, I wouldn't take the "Navigator" moniker too seriously. You guys are assuming he sold himself as that. Did the 86 y.o. really sell herself as the pitman? Seriously?

Look, in my book, all this is the responsibility of the captain. Pure and simple. He chose his crew - and only 2/5's of them could sail, and he didn't like either one of them. He also took his boat and crew out woefully unprepared. Every bit of that was a bad call. And it's on him.
That's I agree with the Captain took his boat out woefully unprepared. This in spite of two other know ocean races that he participated in before .

He increased his burden with Rockdawg. We have seen him on here gaining experience through passage making the last two years if we belive his posting. We do not know how he presented himself to the Captain though. Maybe the Captain thought he was getting someone as experienced as Randolf , as we don't know what kind of credentials he presented.

As far as the term navigator, on a racing vessel such as the Americas Cup or phrf races that means something. On a Transpac race of at least 10-14 days all crew has to be accomplished at almost everything. Setting and mataining a spinnaker is Racing 101.

Again the Captain erred, when he chose the 86 old, and two inexperienced racers, inexperienced navigators, inexperienced passage makers, inexperienced in the Pacific, to attempt 14 days in the open ocean. He didn't even have enough experience to provision , put all the safety equipment on board timely.

Now we get to the crew. No way I would ever risk my life no matter how much experience I woud gain in this situation. I know my limitation and would know my place as being supportive crew with much more experienced ocean racers like Randolf and his friends. Rockdawg has poor judgement in not recognizing his limitations and lack of eperience and not at all recognizing the dangerous situation he was putting himself and others in. He even told Jake he old race with the Captain alone and that it was ok for Jake to bail. The REAL sailors like Randolf and his fiends recognized the situation as too much of a risk and in he name of safety said no way. Rockdawg in his bravado says illl do it alone. This is an obvious and telling clue into his thought process and what is more important, Safety or personal accomplishment. Most accomplished sailors would not have not left he dock with this Captain in this situation with this crew. This is a risk of life for what? He knew he had major doubts but continued on ignoring a slew of red flags. That type of risk taker is not who you want in charge, or even in your crew.

Then they get underway. It seems everything the Captain did was wrong in Rockdawgs mind. Remember the Captain has more experience in ocean racing already and knows the rules too. But RD arrogance raises its head again with criticism of everything the Captain does. One has to wonder how much this was and open and direct challenge,

Imagine you are the Captain. You take on a crew of unknowns , someone who has openly expressed distain for boat owners and probably displayed that. Someone who never set a spinnaker in an ocean race challenging openly your decisions and tactics. Someone who won't shut up and just be the crew but believes he should run the boat. Someone who calls the Coast Guard, the race organizers, the military and who knows who else.

A sign of maturity came from the Coast Guard who recommended tht Rockdawg lower the confrontation threshold. Maturity is when you see the volatile nature of the Captain not to wave. Red flag in front of him, but try and lower the confrontation level. Did Rockdawg do that. Well if his posts on here in terms of confrontation are any pre- indication of what hed do on this mans boat I doubt it. In fact he kept openly challenging him. If I were the Captain and had the right crew...I'd have hog tied him and duct taped his mouth shut and locked him in a cabin till landfall.

So yes Smack is right about the Captains responsibility , but this post also bings into focus the responsibility of the crew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-02-2013 at 12:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
SalNichols94804 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
SailNichols
Can you give those of us that are not initiated an idea of how a
DSQ costs you $55K? I really have no clue as to the costs of the TransPac.
I could send you my budget and spreadsheet, but I'll summarize:

Entry, insurance = 3.5k
SSB + modem = 3k
Boat mods = 7k
New rudder= 19k installed
E rudder= 2.5k
Spinnakers=15k
Blast reacher 1.5k used and modified
Food/consumables for 5 for 3wks= 2.2k
Raft rental=.8k round trip
Satphone installed with ext ant=1.5k
Satphone minutes=.5k
All of the crew dinners parties etc.=.8k

Craploads of other nuts and bolts stuff.

Delivery costs=13k

If you get dsq'd, these are sunk costs. The only carry away are the big ticket items which you'll never recover in resale. Essentially, some PhD punk with no financial skin in the game will have gotten you tossed, flushing two years worth of work and nearly 60k.

Trust me, it was the most expensive vacation of my life. If I go in '14, I think I can do it for 20k.

Note that this hasn't addressed the 15k in repairs since I brought the boat home.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-02-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2013

And guys, this s a cheap program, not a big boat/gran Prix effort where the costs generally run around 100k/mo for a boat like those in div2 of the Trans PAC.
Old 08-02-2013

Smackers, he had an uncooperative crew from the drive from the airport. His best option was to leave the arse at the dock. I had someone try to make the rules on my boat last year. We had a talk.
Old 08-02-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Man if I was going to piss away 60+k , I think I'd rather be sh*t faced at some achorage to the south of here, trying to remeber how I got there, wondering why my glass always dry and hoping the rash on her sun tanned a$$ is from the non-sikd.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-02-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Man if I was going to piss away 60+k , I think I'd rather be sh*t faced at some achorage to the south of here, trying to remeber how I got there, wondering why my glass always dry and hoping the rash on her sun tanned a$$ is from the non-sikd.
Yes, well it's fairly obvious you're not a racer then.

For racing people, the main object is to WIN... not just some trinket at the end of the race but, far more importantly, the respect of (a) your peers and other competitors as they acknowledge you as "The King" for that race, that year, and (b) your friends for years afterward as they admire the contents of your trophy cabinet. For many, for the prestige of the winners podium, money is no object.

$60k is loose change compared to the money spent by serious racers in everything from the Transpac to the America's Cup. Anything much less than that and you're only there for the fun of it.
JomsViking and davidpm like this.

Last edited by Classic30; 08-02-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
5 good years of cruising in the tropics....not sure what all the hype is about racing.
tdw likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-02-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
5 good years of cruising in the tropics....not sure what all the hype is about racing.
You're in the groove, spray flying, competition loosing ground to leeward as they chase you to the top mark... Yep, you're right. No idea.

...but some might find 5 years drifting around the tropics just a tad - how can I put it - boring??

(..and, despite my choice of avatar, I'm no serious racer, btw.. )

Last edited by Classic30; 08-02-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Hartley18;1067974]You're in the groove, spray flying, competition loosing ground to leeward as they chase you to the top mark... Yep, you're right. No idea.

...but some might find 5 years drifting around the tropics just a tad - how can I put it - boring??

(..and, despite my choice of avatar, I'm no serious racer, btw.. )

Ha Ha, bored to tears. I wanna job so bad.

Race ya to the bar, mate!

Might just be down yer way soon, save me a space on the rail!
Slayer and Classic30 like this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.