Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Okay - this is the best damn story I've heard in a VERY long time!!!!!

Hollen, steve77 and AlaskaMC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

The first temper tantrum was your cue to leave. There is absolutely no reason to stay aboard after that.
As you experienced, things go wrong fast and can get out of control fast, good or bad crew.

Please learn from this, you can point fingers at the crazy people, but you stayed aboard. if there is a next time, leave and don't look back.
BubbleheadMd likes this.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 07-30-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
The first temper tantrum was your cue to leave. There is absolutely no reason to stay aboard after that.
As you experienced, things go wrong fast and can get out of control fast, good or bad crew.

Please learn from this, you can point fingers at the crazy people, but you stayed aboard. if there is a next time, leave and don't look back.
EXACTLY...

Particularly ironic, that this story comes from one who - through the various 'Bluewater vs. Production Boats' threads that routinely occur here - has maintained that the choice of boat matters little for offshore passagemaking, instead it's all about the CREW... (grin, bigtime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I would suggest you continue to read and read and then read some more. It will soon realize that it is not the blue water boat that is important in crossing the pond. It is the sailor who knows how to sail blue water.
jimrafford and thefacts like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-30-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Rocky,
Glad you lived to write the tale.
Sounds pretty horrible.

Waiting patiently for next installment.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-30-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Can't we get the rest of the story before we get all heavy with the conclusions?
Old 07-30-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

is there a fresnel lens involved? or poodle ranchers?
Mr. Bubs likes this.

Old 07-30-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Holy Aquari-tantrums, Batman!!

OK, I totally realize that this is "armchair quarterbacking" (or navigating, or whatever), but...

1) If there is friction among the crew before you even leave the dock, it should be a HUGE red flag. The tension of being away from land and in close quarters is bound to only magnify such friction.

B) If the owner/skipper has the boat nowhere near prepared, and is skimping on basics like jack-lines, for a 2000+ nm passage (much less a race) you should be way beyond red flags and in the shooting off of flares territory (or "Help Mr. Wizard, I don't wanna be a TransPac sailor anymore!!!" territory).

III) If you say the magic words "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" the USCG is obligated to respond and at least come check things out. If the skipper/owner was truly putting you and the others in mortal danger, it might just be time to call in the calvary (granted, I wasn't there, but the story is sounding pretty close to that "mortal danger" threshold to me), or just hog-tie "Capt. Queeg" and sail the damned boat yourself to Hawaii. Either option is gonna force you to do some serious "splainin' " once you get to dry land, but if there is real doubt as to whether you're gonna' get to dry land under the circumstances as they are, it's probably worth it.

In any case, I'm gonna nuke some popcorn and get ready for the rest of the story.....
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
EXACTLY...

Particularly ironic, that this story comes from one who - through the various 'Bluewater vs. Production Boats' threads that routinely occur here - has maintained that the choice of boat matters little for offshore passagemaking, instead it's all about the CREW... (grin, bigtime)
I'm not sure I follow the logic on this post. Sounds like RockD and this Jake guy (i.e. - the crew) were the only reason that boat made it anywhere near HI.

I looked up the details and they abandoned the race in last place with 300 miles to go. I can't wait to hear part 2.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-30-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Holy Aquari-tantrums, Batman!!

OK, I totally realize that this is "armchair quarterbacking" (or navigating, or whatever), but...

1) If there is friction among the crew before you even leave the dock, it should be a HUGE red flag. The tension of being away from land and in close quarters is bound to only magnify such friction.
True enough, but to fair on poor 'ol Dawg, it's not uncommon for the pressures of race prep for a major race like the TransPac to cause some level of "pre-race tension" that one might expect would settle out after the yacht was headed west.

One obvious lesson out of this is to insist on the whole boat getting out for a 'shakedown' preparation sail a few days beforehand so you can gauge how you all work together and iron out any 'issues' with the boat (in fact some of our major races include one or two harbour races beforehand to encourage exactly this) - and bail in plenty of time if you have to - but all too often there simply isn't time, and in that case you simply hope this will never happen...

FWIW, I've yet to be convinced you could legitimately call a "Mayday" in this situation even if you had access to a radio, but it'll be interesting to see what others think.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-30-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Part 2 will be interesting, as I noticed the boat is NOT at the finish line in hawaii! but on the BIG island to the south, not at the finish on the northern island...............oh boy! the phun is just beginning!

Marty