Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Thanks for the heads up. We decided to make Brent Swain and Bob Perry a moderator for this thread. That will help calm things down. (snicker)

Brian
niiiiice...
Old 08-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
285 guests viewing this thread? Hm. Maybe SA's mythical FP does have a few readers.

You must have quite an influence with the SA group as you are the one who posted it first and supplied the link and brought it to their attention.

Now that's what I call chumming the water

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You must have quite an influence with the SA group as you are the one who posted it first and supplied the link and brought it to their attention.

Now that's what I call chumming the water
Naa. No influence. But I hang out in both places - have for a long time. There's an absolutely incredible amount of experience and knowledge there (not to mention wit).

So, I like SA a lot (especially CA). When there's a great story like this that deals with a race sailors are interested in, I have no problem spreading the word. I'm just selective on the word I spread.

Anyway, they're good guys. Just a little edgier than most. I happen to like their "ilk".
tdw likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-02-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

Me thinks RD might just have blown his (slim) chances on getting another gig in a major race....
Old 08-02-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

May be taken as blasphemy but methinks there's more to sailing than racing.It's obvious that there is more to racing than sailing.
Old 08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Naa. No influence. But I hang out in both places - have for a long time. There's an absolutely incredible amount of experience and knowledge there (not to mention wit).

So, I like SA a lot (especially CA). When there's a great story like this that deals with a race sailors are interested in, I have no problem spreading the word. I'm just selective on the word I spread.

Anyway, they're good guys. Just a little edgier than most. I happen to like their "ilk".
I agree with that. I also read a lot of their posts. I Dont get involved with them though. I respect the knowledge and information there. Having spent a number of years crewing in Annapolis races and a few Newport to Bermuda ones I understand their mentality also. Racing really helped me hone my sailing skills in terms of sail trim etc. I was always crew or navigator/ tactician in later years.

I have no where the skill or hard core ability as most on SA, but their viewpoints are kind of spot on and blunt without the nanny niceties you see here many times.

Their view of this situation has turned since the initial reactionary posts of incredulity have started weighing in also just like here. The more you think about this the more questions arise.

At least everyone survived and is safe. That's the most important think. Many lessons to be learned by all sides.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-02-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Wow - so many levels of FAIL I don't know where to start.
RD - you showed stupendously bad judgement in even getting on that boat. I would not go from the fuel dock to the holding tank pumpout dock with that bunch, let alone out in the OCEAN farther than I could swim back to land. You have never flown a CHUTE? Really? WTF

How exactly is this going to work You don't know much and the rest know even less. I have turned down offshore passages with MUCH better crew than this because there were not enough experienced hands aboard. I ran a 2 good man 4 useless passenger offshore trip ONCE and vowed NEVER again and those 4 were pleasant if not especially good.

* As it happens, I was on the receiving end of a hysterical MAYDAY call once on a hot flat calm day. A voice screaming over and over "we have no water we have no oil". I was in a poor position to help, the calm having strectched my own supplies as well. As I was wondering what to do a calm voice came on and told me the first guy had been in the sun too long. I am wondering how the "we can't get along" calls went. If your posts are factually accurate including denial of water and physical attacks I would have been calling Mayday and setting off every beacon I could find, not just suggesting I was unhappy

Last edited by Coquina; 08-02-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

There are always two sides to every story, that's why my own post only wished RD well that he's back and suggested this had to be a good learning experience. I don't know the whole story, nor does anyone else here.

However, those that denigrate a fellow sailor who had a harrowing experience, regardless of fault, are seriously messing with karma. Particularly those that also seem to press 'like' on every single negative post toward the OP. No one here has experience beyond anything they may ever encounter.

There has been no investigation, no other stories, no other first hand observations, no data, but the convictions are rolling in. I'm not taking a side either way. Can't wait to see the reported vids. Maybe we'll hear from the owner.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (08-04-2013)
Old 08-02-2013
cyasurfin

cyasurfin is on a distinguished road

So...Where's the rest of the story?
Old 08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There are always two sides to every story, that's why my own post only wished RD well that he's back and suggested this had to be a good learning experience. I don't know the whole story, nor does anyone else here.

However, those that denigrate a fellow sailor who had a harrowing experience, regardless of fault, are seriously messing with karma. Particularly those that also seem to press 'like' on every single negative post toward the OP. No one here has experience beyond anything they may ever encounter.

There has been no investigation, no other stories, no other first hand observations, no data, but the convictions are rolling in. I'm not taking a side either way. Can't wait to see the reported vids. Maybe we'll hear from the owner.

Wow,

And here I always thought when a reader here presses "like" its because they agreed with what the others poster wrote.

I will have to consult my imaginary "karma" shrink. I didn't realize it was going to create and encourage bad juju.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-