Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Try this:
I got on a powerboat with 3 drunk guys.
They ran aground and got stuck and wrecked the drives. I had to swim home and got stung by nettles. It was terrible and dangerous and horrible.

Yes that is true. So what exactly did you THINK was going to happen

I have never flown a spinnaker nor met the skipper and crew.
I get to the dock and discover a boat crewed by an irrational barely-speaks-English inexperienced skipper, his inexperienced biatch-from-hell girlfriend, an 89 year old lady, and one guy that can sail. PLus the boat is ill-prepared at best.

It was terrible and dangerous and horrible.

Yes that is true. So what exactly did you THINK was going to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There are always two sides to every story, that's why my own post only wished RD well that he's back and suggested this had to be a good learning experience. I don't know the whole story, nor does anyone else here.

However, those that denigrate a fellow sailor who had a harrowing experience, regardless of fault, are seriously messing with karma. Particularly those that also seem to press 'like' on every single negative post toward the OP. No one here has experience beyond anything they may ever encounter.

There has been no investigation, no other stories, no other first hand observations, no data, but the convictions are rolling in. I'm not taking a side either way. Can't wait to see the reported vids. Maybe we'll hear from the owner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 08-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

Making it to land , when there were times during the trip you didn't think you would, sets a certain brain jam of thoughts and emotions, in RD defense, His post have been written while still reeling from the crazy events. So a little leeway for him would be nice. Plus, dont down play a person in a rage while floating in the middle of the ocean, ive been there, things can go wrong very fast, no words can describe the danger. My unhinged guy( lets call him psycho) nearly knocked me overboard in a panic to get topside. He spent hours in his bunk rocking and growling. Funny aye? rocking and growling, but in the middle of the ocean with no where to go? Scary scary chit. But in RD case the loose cannon was the Captain. There is little to no recourse for crew in that situation.

Yes, we all agree, leaving on that boat was not prudent. But Smackdaddy is right, RD's one ( big) mistake doesn't give the owners the right to do what they did, the biggest is not being in controll or in command of himself, which has a chilling effect on the entire vessel.

Hope that made some sense.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 08-02-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Close posting to members with under 500 post count.

Wait, Wait, Wait. Can we start at 200 posts, I'm almost there.
Old 08-02-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

My blood pressure must have rose a hundred points while I was reading those logs. That dude should have been beat down, and often. Its either going to be him or me if a stranger tries grabbing my phone out of my hand. Land or sea.
Old 08-02-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Wait, Wait, Wait. Can we start at 200 posts, I'm almost there.
just an absurd suggestion in the first place.
I mean the post you were referring to. Who cares about post count.
GMFL likes this.

Last edited by abrahamx; 08-02-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

RD may have made the mistake of not bailing on this rag-tag bunch before the start of the race (and THAT was a pretty serious mistake), HOWEVER, it is the skipper of the boat who is ultimately responsible for ALL the problems in this case:

- The skipper didn't properly prepare the boat
- The skipper didn't assemble an adequate crew for such a race
- The skipper didn't properly provision the boat
- The skipper didn't have the experience to be the skipper of a boat sailing 2000+ miles of open ocean
- The skipper (apparently) has absolutely no management skills (his ownership of a mediocre sushi bar notwithstanding)

Yes, RD may have been in over his head with respect to flying a spinnaker, but it was the skipper's responsibility to make sure that the crew could handle the sails. The skipper totally lost control of the situation because he could neither sail the boat himself, nor bring himself to handing over that responsibility to someone who could do so.

I don't think a lawsuit or complaint to the labor relations board is going to accomplish anything (other than just cause more grief and frustration). But writing up a concise, not-too-nasty article/letter to Latitude38 will almost certainly go a long way toward keeping "Harry" from roping another inexperienced crew into another such "adventure". Lat38 is THE sailing rag on the West Coast, and they often publish such letters. The editor may not agree with RD on everything, and subsequent letters are likely to be as diverse (and nasty) as some of the stuff here. But such a letter will get the word out.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 08-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure any of them could have made it to Catalina and back on their own while under sail, let alone HI.

I had a young guy aboard my boat last yr for the Pac Cup. We took him out and shook him down. on overnight and three day sails, he was more or less ok. He claimed that a Chi-Mac was like a HI race...no big deal. We had a light air start which meant that 5 days out we were still 8 days from Kaneohe. Physical fatigue, brought upon by the rotating watches killed him. Crewing on a HI race is like living in the Alaskan bush in Winter. A weekend skiing in Tahoe isn't adequate prep., and even a Bermuda race is at most 1/4 the duration for boats like mine.

I guess what I'm saying is that none of them had a bloody clue.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 08-02-2013

CATALINA GUY is on a distinguished road

I followed the boat via yellowbrick.....I wondered why she was so slow and finalya DNF
Old 08-02-2013

I followed the boat during the race....now I know why she was so slow
Old 08-02-2013

Wink Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Lucky you made it back. I followed the boat via yellowbrick and now I know why she was so slow.
My parents sailed against DORADE in the 36 Transpac on Sartartia an 85 ft Alden schooner I follow the race.
smackdaddy likes this.