Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Have not done the Trans pac and probably never will but have done multiple variations of the Bermuda Race. When doing it on my boat only use folks I have done passages with or my watch captains have done passages with. Insist on at least one overnight with full crew prior to race to make sure everyone knows the boat and each other prior to race. Also try to have a dinner together to see how the personalities interact. Usually line up alternative crew so if someone drops out or I ask them not to come have a fall back. When serving as crew so far my captains have employed similar pre race protocols. Seems none of these things were done here with not unexpected results.
chef2sail, smackdaddy and S34 like this.
Old 08-03-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Moreover, the OP and some contributors have made some fairly slanderous representations about the yacht owner(s) and his/their business on a public forum (where they have not been given the opportunity to respond) that could be perceived as doing tangible, material damage to his/their reputation(s) and business--particularly the comments concerning illegals/immigrants. I submit that given the litigious nature of California, that is unwise for them and, frankly, more so for the sponsors of this forum.
Well, no. Actually. The site owners are protected from defamation suits under section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (see 47 U.S.C. § 230). Moreover, it would be quite unlikely for the aggrieved party to even obtain the contact information of the posters in question. In fact, to do so, would require a court order. The best he could do, if he's the suing sort, is to go after rock.

That said, for all practical purposes, sailnet is a fairly tiny community, and merely a drop in the ocean of inet forums. As such, I just do not see a defamation suit being viewed as anything other than a SLAPP suit by local judges. Esp considering the primary negative feedback of this man's business is on yelp, not sailnet. Anyway, jmo. TWYAHTR.
smackdaddy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Background - a repeat for those who know me.

I have done no ocean racing, but I have done 4 passages: three on Vic Maui returns (2 as skipper, one as watch captain) and a delivery as watch captain from Newport, RI to St Barths via Bermuda. I have raced with spinnakers on a Tartan 10 on Galveston Bay, San Juan 21s in Calgary, Beneteau 36.7s on Swiftsure and a X-119 on Swiftsure and Van Isle 360. I also instruct folks on using both dip pole and end for end gybes.

On the passages, I was meeting some or all of the crew for the first time. On the races I either knew the skipper/owners or I had to audition. For the X-119 I flew to Seattle for a one race audition.

Some observations:

Long oceans passages require that a crew is harmonious and has a high level of trust. The skippers and watch captains may have to become intermediaries.

Flying spinnakers, especially on dip pole gybes takes a lot of people, a lot of skill and a lot of coordination.

Spinnakers in heavy air are not for the faint of heart. Round ups and broaches are scary.

Provisioning is both an art and a science. Everyone needs input.

I will jump on race boat with a crew I do not know for a short round the buoys race.

I really do not think I would have crewed on Aquarius.

I know that these experiences are on a lot folks bucket lists, but I have learned that crew selection and capabilities are paramount. Not everyone is up to the challenge. I have made mistakes. After an ocean or offshore experience most of my students will admit they were glad they did it. A large number would not do it again. They will stick to coastal cruising.

One of my favourite expressions is "Success teachers nothing." I think that the crew of Aquarius has an opportunity to figure out what they learned. Treat it as a teachable moment and move forward.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-03-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
go rent the movie Morning Light
Thanks for mentioning this movie. I just finished watching it. What an incredible story!
davidpm likes this.
Old 08-03-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

Morning light...a perfect example of having an incredibly talented crew each with their own egos coming together for a common goal. Kind of what you'd expect when Roy (rip) is providing you the best sailors on the planet as mentors/coaches.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Background - a repeat for those who know me.

I have done no ocean racing, but I have done 4 passages: three on Vic Maui returns (2 as skipper, one as watch captain) and a delivery as watch captain from Newport, RI to St Barths via Bermuda. I have raced with spinnakers on a Tartan 10 on Galveston Bay, San Juan 21s in Calgary, Beneteau 36.7s on Swiftsure and a X-119 on Swiftsure and Van Isle 360. I also instruct folks on using both dip pole and end for end gybes.

On the passages, I was meeting some or all of the crew for the first time. On the races I either knew the skipper/owners or I had to audition. For the X-119 I flew to Seattle for a one race audition.

Some observations:

Long oceans passages require that a crew is harmonious and has a high level of trust. The skippers and watch captains may have to become intermediaries.

Flying spinnakers, especially on dip pole gybes takes a lot of people, a lot of skill and a lot of coordination.

Spinnakers in heavy air are not for the faint of heart. Round ups and broaches are scary.

Provisioning is both an art and a science. Everyone needs input.

I will jump on race boat with a crew I do not know for a short round the buoys race.

I really do not think I would have crewed on Aquarius.

I know that these experiences are on a lot folks bucket lists, but I have learned that crew selection and capabilities are paramount. Not everyone is up to the challenge. I have made mistakes. After an ocean or offshore experience most of my students will admit they were glad they did it. A large number would not do it again. They will stick to coastal cruising.

One of my favourite expressions is "Success teachers nothing." I think that the crew of Aquarius has an opportunity to figure out what they learned. Treat it as a teachable moment and move forward.
Actually, once you've rinsed your Windex off a few times, rounding up isn't a big deal. Ease, turn down, trim, go. On a boat like Aquarius, you're better off trimming the kite once, then driving to it along a base course. IOW, heat up in the light spots, and burn off below the base if you ever get the pig to surf.

Round downs are a different story. You have to add a few minutes to the clean up to beat the driver.

One of the reasons that I despise roller furling at sea is that it keeps you from setting a spinnaker net. Nets are your best friend, particularly when the lights are out. If you haven't tried one, do it. The damn kite literally bounces off of it.

BTW, I'm one of the SA old timers that's drifted away. SailNet has expended a lot more mental energy on this than they have. A few of us were waving the b.s. flag pretty early on.
Old 08-03-2013

Oh, most of you probably know this, but RD clearly doesn't, never having flown a spinnaker before the start.

When you wrap that sucker around the head stay, DO NOT DO PULL UPS ON IT, or otherwise yard on it to pull it down. Just gybe the main and ease it out...and WAIT. Be patient. The air coming off of the back of the main will unwrap the kite...eventually. We had one take 40 minutes, but it did unwind. first few wraps are kinda slow, but once it starts unspooling, you're golden. Just don't do anything stupid like lowering the halyard to help it along. Be aware, once the last wrap comes off, it's going to want to fly. Watch your trim, because when it fills, it might detonate. We did this twice in '10 on the Pac Cup, because we were slow learners. ;-)
Plumbean likes this.
Old 08-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Anybody have experience with the parasail?
Old 08-03-2013

There were a couple of guys that tried one out on a Moore 24 on SF Bay about 10 years ago, and it just didn't work out that well. I don't know of any other local attempts since then. You'd have to go into the dark recesses of SA archives to find the related threads. Before 2005.
Old 08-04-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

This is just sad. Many members come here to read my experience in my recent voyage to Hawaii. Thanks for those who leave value comment and advice and particular those who wrote encourage words to my inbox. And yet, many were so surprise to read the personal attack against me by a few members here. It was not due this post, but rather my long on-going fight with Chef2sail. I continue to ignore him, refuse to be his lapdog, ignore him when he suggested to do a delivery a sailboat together. The more I ignore him, the more attack I received. He always here on sailnet trolling to make a strike at me. Fortunately, I was able to sail a lot even without a boat, learn lot and sometime get into bad situation, But always happy ending. In the last 4 years, I have crewed with other more than 30 to 40 times. I have impeccable track records and 100% good reference. Some one here suggests me to delete this post. Otherwise, I won't get any crewing position. No, this is not my style, I like 100% disclosure. In fact, the owner I will captain his boat tomorrow to Puerto Rico know about this incidence. He promised me he will not yell. ...LOL.

As for other like "SalNichols94804", he is a troll who registered a few days ago for the purpose of troll this thread. Nothing more, it is shame that he have to hide between a new alias. I am surprised that the Moderator turned a blind eye on this.

Therefore don't fall into Chef2sail games. Do a search on here. You will see.

Many kept suggesting me to walk out in this first day. It is not my style. But I will keep that in mind. Or I will keep this post with me, and will show it to the captain that I am about to walk out because my prior bad experience.

I am glad that at least no one questions me if I made up the story up. That was the biggest question Jake and I asking ourselves. No one would believe this could happen in 2013 with a relative new boat, a legitimate businessman, a well spoken manager, TransPac race. IT was great that Jake videoed lot of this.

I thought I will post some pics tonite, but this has side tracked me.

Dave, you have intimidated me in the last three years. I will continue to ignore you and I am not afraid of you and your lapdogs.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.