Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This is just sad. Many members come here to read my experience in my recent voyage to Hawaii. Thanks for those who leave value comment and advice and particular those who wrote encourage words to my inbox. And yet, many were so surprise to read the personal attack against me by a few members here. It was not due this post, but rather my long on-going fight with Chef2sail. I continue to ignore him, refuse to be his lapdog, ignore him when he suggested to do a delivery a sailboat together. The more I ignore him, the more attack I received. He always here on sailnet trolling to make a strike at me. Fortunately, I was able to sail a lot even without a boat, learn lot and sometime get into bad situation, But always happy ending. In the last 4 years, I have crewed with other more than 30 to 40 times. I have impeccable track records and 100% good reference. Some one here suggests me to delete this post. Otherwise, I won't get any crewing position. No, this is not my style, I like 100% disclosure. In fact, the owner I will captain his boat tomorrow to Puerto Rico know about this incidence. He promised me he will not yell. ...LOL.

As for other like "SalNichols94804", he is a troll who registered a few days ago for the purpose of troll this thread. Nothing more, it is shame that he have to hide between a new alias. I am surprised that the Moderator turned a blind eye on this.

Therefore don't fall into Chef2sail games. Do a search on here. You will see.

Many kept suggesting me to walk out in this first day. It is not my style. But I will keep that in mind. Or I will keep this post with me, and will show it to the captain that I am about to walk out because my prior bad experience.

I am glad that at least no one questions me if I made up the story up. That was the biggest question Jake and I asking ourselves. No one would believe this could happen in 2013 with a relative new boat, a legitimate businessman, a well spoken manager, TransPac race. IT was great that Jake videoed lot of this.

I thought I will post some pics tonite, but this has side tracked me.

Dave, you have intimidated me in the last three years. I will continue to ignore you and I am not afraid of you and your lapdogs.
Seriously? I registered here so I could register my disbelief of your story. Was I aboard? Clearly not. But your story is but one side, and I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the other side, until I hear from them. You see, Dr. Shum, I've done a couple of these races, as the guy paying the bills. I also had YEARS of experience racing, including flying, trimming, and driving under spinnakers before I ever considered myself even remotely qualified to serve as crew on a HI race.

As for being a troll...in 2010 I navigated an electrically DEAD boat to Kaneohe in 9:06:33. Elapsed. By dead I mean, no boat instruments (boat speed, wind direction, wind speed), or weather forecasts from 5 hours after our start. Navigator wasn't my title on the boat entry, it was what I did; in addition to being the crew boss. I also drove, worked the foredeck, trimmed, cooked, and cleaned, right alongside the rest of the team. In 2012, I skippered my own boat over and back. You're not only not qualified to call me names, you're not qualified to do my laundry.

I'm not one of your female office staff that you can bully. Understand?
jephotog, chef2sail and Lateral like this.

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-04-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I used to make a living teaching people to fly and to sail. The hardest thing to teach is judgement, not skills. You STILL don't seem to realize what a horrible choice you made to go on that boat.
Please explain what being a "legitimate businessman" or a "well spoken manager" has to do with sailing a boat offshore

If your description of the skipper and his girlfriend are even remotely accurate, I wouldn't go for a 1 hour sail with them. Did you think being at sea would magically cure their erratic behaviour? I have been sailing offshore since the 1970s and it is a very rare thing for close quarters and lack of sleep to IMPROVE the personality of nut-cases

Quote:
This is just sad. Many members come here to read my experience in my recent voyage to Hawaii. Thanks for those who leave value comment and advice and particular those who wrote encourage words to my inbox. And yet, many were so surprise to read the personal attack against me by a few members here. It was not due this post, but rather my long on-going fight with Chef2sail. I continue to ignore him, refuse to be his lapdog, ignore him when he suggested to do a delivery a sailboat together. The more I ignore him, the more attack I received. He always here on sailnet trolling to make a strike at me. Fortunately, I was able to sail a lot even without a boat, learn lot and sometime get into bad situation, But always happy ending. In the last 4 years, I have crewed with other more than 30 to 40 times. I have impeccable track records and 100% good reference. Some one here suggests me to delete this post. Otherwise, I won't get any crewing position. No, this is not my style, I like 100% disclosure. In fact, the owner I will captain his boat tomorrow to Puerto Rico know about this incidence. He promised me he will not yell. ...LOL.

As for other like "SalNichols94804", he is a troll who registered a few days ago for the purpose of troll this thread. Nothing more, it is shame that he have to hide between a new alias. I am surprised that the Moderator turned a blind eye on this.

Many kept suggesting me to walk out in this first day. It is not my style. But I will keep that in mind. Or I will keep this post with me, and will show it to the captain that I am about to walk out because my prior bad experience.

I am glad that at least no one questions me if I made up the story up. That was the biggest question Jake and I asking ourselves. No one would believe this could happen in 2013 with a relative new boat, a legitimate businessman, a well spoken manager, TransPac race. IT was great that Jake videoed lot of this.

Dave, you have intimidated me in the last three years. I will continue to ignore you and I am not afraid of you and your lapdogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

FWIW, rockdawg, there are more folks than just chef2sail expressing doubt's on the story and/or the thought poor judgement was exercised on your part. Whilst there might be some history between you & chef2sail informing his opinion, he's not the only one expressing the same or similar thoughts on the story given.

I don't have the experience to judge myself, so I haven't & probably won't, but you should consider the fact that there are folks with a lot of experience & wisdom who are express similar sentiments, at least as far as the poor decision to go out on said boat with said crew/skipper. Whatever you feel about chef2sail, it's not worth ignoring the advice & experience offered by others is it?
Old 08-04-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

This thread is interesting, but frustrating, because rockdawg cherry picks what he wants to respond to. There's been some good points raised, but they go ignored.

One thing mentioned earlier, that also jumped way off the page for me in the initial post, was how do you leave for this passage without topping off the water tanks. And then, surprise (not really), water had to be rationed. Absolutely mind boggling to me. I would've jumped off the boat and swam to shore if I thought we were leaving without adequate water supply.
Old 08-04-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Its easy to say "I would have taken one look at the boat and got off".

But thats a big ask when you've paid for your air flights (a lot of crew fly into the Canary Islands for a trans atlanitc and that costs heaps); plus they have taken 2 weeks or more off work... so what do they do now?
In exitement of something new ones enthusiasm overlooks a lot of things.

Its not easy to bail out.
jephotog, abrahamx, Slayer and 3 others like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

It seems pretty clear that mistakes were made. Even the OP indirectly agrees he wouldn't do this the same again.

I just don't get the venom. Regardless of reason, someone survives a two week blue water passage that went to crap and then steams off. So what. It's common response to a traumatic experience.

I have no doubt that the legal/DOL stuff goes away as the emotions subside.

Indeed, every web forum has those certain personalities that have to be ignored, just like in the real world.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-04-2013

Regarding water. H2O is the heaviest item that you put on the boat. The NORMAL water plan is to account for 1 gallon/person/day. In the case of Aquarius, estimating a max 15 day passage * 5 crew =75 gallons. The Jeanneau 43 has a total capacity of 145 gallons. IOW, by topping off the tanks, they would have carrying 70 gallons more than necessary or 560 additional lbs., probably on the wrong side of the boat. Heavy is slow. I left SFO for Oahu with 5 people and 80 gallons, and arrived with 15 in the tank plus my 5 emergency gallons. This s SOP on a race boat amigos.

You drink it, you don't bathe with it, or wash dishes with it.
Old 08-04-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
Regarding water. H2O is the heaviest item that you put on the boat. The NORMAL water plan is to account for 1 gallon/person/day. In the case of Aquarius, estimating a max 15 day passage * 5 crew =75 gallons. The Jeanneau 43 has a total capacity of 145 gallons. IOW, by topping off the tanks, they would have carrying 70 gallons more than necessary or 560 additional lbs., probably on the wrong side of the boat. Heavy is slow. I left SFO for Oahu with 5 people and 80 gallons, and arrived with 15 in the tank plus my 5 emergency gallons. This s SOP on a race boat amigos.

You drink it, you don't bathe with it, or wash dishes with it .

Well, I think thats almost criminally negligent.

Mark

Old 08-04-2013

Well Mark, I can pretty much guarantee you that nearly every boat that left LA was provisioned along those lines. But please, next time you step aboard a race boat on a major passage be sure to make your opinion known before you leave the dock.
Old 08-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:

Rockdawg,

Thats is so ridiculous trying to make this personal to deflect your own poor judgement here. Accusing others of falling in with me like they have no free will of their own to have opinions. I didn't post mine for a while.

You made it personal with the Captain accusing him of many things, threatening to sue, impugning his business. Evidently this action struck a cord with others who post here.. It was not me who researched your true identity and posted about the sexual harassment suits as well as poor employer ratings you have gotten all by yourself.

Maybe you should read what the true sailboat racing community is thinking about you. You can start after post 74 when Smackdaddy posted the Sailnet discussion.

I gave you credit for your attempts to gain experience via others people's boats. For you to Captain a boat with your track record and judgement skills is questionable, and for you to continue to fraudulently pose as a "delivery captain" is really an affront to people like Jon or Dave who have worlds of experience and are true professionals.

I would never step foot on a boat with you, after your actions in this instance knowing you are willing to physically confront the Captain of the boat, call the USNavy ( suspect) , Coast Gaurd frivolously when your life is not endanger.

Here are the Sailing Anarchy links

TRANSPAC - and they're off! - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Lastly, one thing you are correct about, should I know or see you posting for delivery jobs etc anywhere I will feel it is my obligation for safeties sake to forward this posting to them. Hopefully when they Google search your name it will now appear.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner