Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Its easy to say "I would have taken one look at the boat and got off".

But thats a big ask when you've paid for your air flights (a lot of crew fly into the Canary Islands for a trans atlanitc and that costs heaps); plus they have taken 2 weeks or more off work... so what do they do now?
In exitement of something new ones enthusiasm overlooks a lot of things.

Its not easy to bail out.

Wow, what an epic story! I just finished reading all the posts and links except for the entire SA thread or any of the personal/restaurant reviews.

First, I'd like to commend RockDawg for posting his story here. Unlike most who come here to tell their tale and then get torn a new orifice, RD has been here long enough that he KNEW that would happen, and yet he chose to share his story and take the grief that would follow. After all, that's what we do at Sailnet right? Monday morning quarterback?

Personally I think there can be something learned from picking apart a story and discussing it, but I don't get the obsession with assigning blame... "It's the captain's fault", "It's RD's fault", "Everybody's at fault", "It's the 86 y/o lady's fault!". I see absolutely no utility in assigning fault by SailNet Jury (though I have my suspicions about the old lady ).

I see this as a cautionary tale. Yes, in hindsight, he wouldn't have had this experience if he refused to go. BUT he gave up a lot to go. Jumping off the boat at the fuel dock when the tanks weren't filled up? Swim home? Really? What and leave all your stuff there? It sounds like that point was the point of no return.

This experience reminds me of the lesson I keep re-learning about a calendar being the most dangerous item on the boat. It's not the schedule that gets us, it's the unwillingness to bag the plan regardless of consequences that makes us sail into things we shouldn't. I see this tale as a reinforcement of that lesson for me.

I also see the lesson of making sure not to put yourself in that last minute position by taking the necessary steps to check our your boat/skipper/crew first. I interviewed a boat/skipper in person for a Vic Maui months before the race and declined. They DNF'd a couple days in. I've stepped on enough boats for an afternoon that I'd NEVER want to be on again to risk that kind of thing for an ocean race. Heck, a co-worker at West Marine took a paid delivery crew job and the captain had never sailed before. he refused to turn off the engine (ever) and they ran out of fuel, drifted to the Dominican Republic without permission and my friend ended up in a Dominican jail (where they don't feed you) for a couple days.

To those that don't have the awesome sailing resumes to pick the most pedigreed boats, please exercise even more caution. Experienced skippers can get experienced crew, inexperienced ones often can't. Be careful.

As for the lawsuit, give the guy a break. It's a pretty normal reaction to a stressful situation to want to get back at the guy. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), in our society today, there aren't other good ways of venting that anger. In the ol' days we had pistol duels and fisticuffs. Honor was reclaimed and things were "made right". Now you go to prison for that kind of stuff. I hope he doesn't sue, because lawsuits usually aren't good for the person bringing suit, the one being sued, or anyone else for that matter.

Thanks RockDawg for posting. I think you knew you'd get roasted by SailNet, but your story is valuable and likely will save someone else looking to crew from a similar situation.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
bratzcpa (08-05-2013), Sal Paradise (08-05-2013)
Old 08-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Lastly, one thing you are correct about, should I know or see you posting for delivery jobs etc anywhere I will feel it is my obligation for safeties sake to forward this posting to them. Hopefully when they Google search your name it will now appear.
Chef, please don't do this, and PLEASE don't even pretend that you're doing this for the betterment of others and that your motives are pure. Unless you completely lack personal insight you, like the rest of us, can see that you are making this personal and are being vindictive.

You and he disagree, why not keep it here on SailNet?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 08-04-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Quote didn't have HTML tag at beginning. Added tag.
The Following User Says Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (08-05-2013)
Old 08-04-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Med,

Don't pat RD on the back too hard. He obviously posted this story expecting a great deal of sympathy, and once some of the experienced ocean sailors criticized him, he began whining and complaining about trolls and attacks. He's hardly as noble as you paint him.

That being said, I totally agree that we should stay out of his future business and not interfere with his future crewing prospects as Chef suggested. None of us are witnesses to what really happened. I personally, think this story is a totally, one-sided piece of bunk but I have no proof of anything and I'm not about to interfere in RD's personal affairs by blocking his attempts to sail, or make recommendations for/against him based solely on his internet postings.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Clearly he was blowing off steam. No one can get in his head and know what he wanted or expected in return.

To threaten to mess with an anonymous blog poster's future, because one doesn't like what he wrote, is disturbed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-04-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...is disturbed.
No words can improve on this simple statement.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 08-04-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
No words can improve on this simple statement.
Fryewe.

He doesn't often post. But when he does...it's gold.

(PS - Did you guys know that TMIMITW is a sailor? Bam.)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
An angel for every shoulder? Bless you for volunteering...

.........Oops...forgot this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Chef, please don't do this, and PLEASE don't even pretend that you're doing this for the betterment of others and that your motives are pure. Unless you completely lack personal insight you, like the rest of us, can see that you are making this personal and are being vindictive.

You and he disagree, why not keep it here on SailNet?

MedSailor

I had to hand ya both a "like" goodie before Chef used up the "like" allowance is his quest to show his disproval of RD's wild adventure

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-04-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
I had to hand ya both a "like" goodie before Chef used up the "like" allowance is his quest to show his disproval of RD's wild adventure

"Sorry. This adventure is NOT APPROVED."
fryewe likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

"Sorry. This adventure is NOT APPROVED."
Wait to go Rockdawg, you have been successful in deflecting your actions and your original postings toward me. Most are smart enough to see through this smokescreen and focus on the original thread and your decisions but some took the bait. Saying others are shills for me, hell most of them don't even like me, and none of them even know me. They have brains and can see through this crap, unlike some others. For those that can...they get the like button

Smack....you get the thread drift and deflection award for trying to make it about me. You truly pick up the gauntlet as an apologist for Rockdawg. From the misinformation you posted on the Captains business, to posting on Sailing Anarchy to give fresh meat to the lions over there who have ridiculed RD not the Captain, much to your chagrin, to now directing the thread toward me.

None of these personal comments are pertinent and germane to the subject, so turn off the deflect button Rockdawg threw out there and try to stay on course here, its not about me at all.

Its about the original post, the tall tales and obvious inconsistencies and the incredible inept Captain ( if we believe half of the story). We have yet to see movies as promised. Where is Jake? We have heard from another crew of experienced racers who have sailed with the Captain twice before and would have a third time had the last member of the crew been allowed to come. Why would they do that if this man was so over the top. We have heard from others with race and long ocean experience here on many aspects of this one sided "fairy tale" told by Rockdawg who have major major questions.

Quite frankly I do not believe this tall tale completely, and neither do some others. And mutiny on a vessel is a big deal.

Chris Carter recent inductee in the pro football Hall of Fame would have a field day with this

Call the US Navy...come on man. They see no problem

Call the CG...come on man. They hang up

Strike the Captain, and brag about it.... come on man...wow.

Fly a spinnaker at night shorthanded( a dangerous feat for experienced sailors, especially when pushing hard and having a crew who had NEVER worked together when having no practice ever having done that...come on man.

Force the Captain to use the autopilot because you think its right even though it automatically DQs him...come on man.

Get on a boat purporting to be the Navigator without researching the Captain or even the rules of the race for a 14 day race, not cruise,...come on man

Leave on the boat without filling the water tanks....come on man

Getting on here with the SOLE purpose of ruing the Captain and his reputation. Remember it was Rockdawg who wanted vengeance all along through lawsuit and this forum.

The poor judgment exercised by Rockdawg whose bravado and lack of experience finally caught up with him posing as a delivery Captain, are apparent to many others as they are apparent to me.

The "need" to build a resume far outweighed following prudent procedures as outlined through the whole thread. Its really that simple.

Yes the Captain should be avoided for his inexperience and decisions...and many suggested posting warnings to others about the Captain if I recall. In fact that was one of if not the main reason for Rockdawg writing here really, to ruin his reputation. He was going to ruin him here on SN and then bring suit against him also. He penned this by his own hand.

So its not so far a fetch to warn others who want to employ or travel with Rockdawg about his boastful mutiny. Its a taste of the same medicine he sought to bring upon the Captain.

Stay focused on the thread and the actions of Rockdawg and the Captain. I am not part of this story, just one single sailor with an opinion like or unlike yours.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-04-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Reading some of the replies on here from sailors/racers who have some what more experience and who seem to be a tad harsh on RD, I thought I would throw this in here, really has nothing to do with sailing but....

Two days ago we had a birthday party on the beach for my son who wasn't supposed to see his next BD, there was over 30 people there. We had canopies, big a$$ BBQ and herd of burgers to cook & all the fixings and then some. Next to us was two young couples with their little kids and they too were doing a BBQ. Problem was, in their rush to get to the beach, they forgot a bag that had most of their BBQ stuff.

The guys doing our BBQ were feeding over 30 people like a full on catering service, never missed a beat. The group next to us? not so well, he was trying to cook without BBQ tools, picking hot food off the grill with his fingers and dropping some in the sand

Seeing this, did we bash them for being ill perpared? No, we leant them our extra tools and gave them our extra condiments, they were very thankful, we were glad to help and we knew ( because they said ) next time they'll be better perpared.

What's this have to do with RD's adventure? Maybe not a F'n thing but then maybe it does. We don't need to beat our fellow sailors down for a bad judgement call, anymore than we need to beat down a fellow beach goer for being ill- perpare to BBQ, Hell, as well setup as we were? I know CruisingDad would have schooled us on the art of fine BBQ'ing.

I guess the point is, no matter how much a expert you think you are, there is someone out there that we'll school ya, so tread lightly on your brothers.

OH!!!, btw, here's the best part, I think; Sitting on the seas wall was a young homeless guy, propably hadn't eat'n in days, Levi ( our head chef ) cooked the guy a big fat juicy doulbe decker cheese burger, the famlies next to us, the ones we helped, Well, they played it foward by fixing him a plate of beans and potato salad.

We didn't bash him either.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
The Following User Says Thank You to poopdeckpappy For This Useful Post:
Grunthrie (08-07-2013)