Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

This appears to be an example of what happens when there is a lack of competent leadership. Where there is no leadership, a void is created. How this void is filled can vary wildly.

In this case, it appears the captain was both not fully capable but also unwilling to accept input or assistance. The captain withdrew and essentially shutdown communications with the crew and became hostile. It appears he finally had a realization near the end of his shortcomings.

I would credit RD and his friend with the safe delivery of this vessel to its destination. RD's expertise and a large cup of luck kept this from becoming a dangerous situation.

RD's talk of a lawsuit did him no good. There was no actual loss or injury, just bent feelings. I would have walked at the 1st shouting match while on shore - it's a clear sign of how this captain operates under stress. Prepping a boat to get underway is very stressful - especially for a trip of this size.

This boat was never really in a race.
blowinstink likes this.
Old 08-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I am not an anonymous poster and have thousands of offshore miles as skipper and crew. I would not run a boat like the skipper did and would not act like RD did as crew.

I think it went like this:
Skipper - the chute is dangerous and I don't want it up. It scares me.
RD - not having the chute is dangerous because we are so slow with jib and main we'll starve and/or die of thirst before we get to Hawaii.

So combine scared inexperienced people, a small space, and no way to get off and you get this mess

Still want to know what grandma thought of this mongolian cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan22 View Post
OK, after re-reading all 37 pages I really find it kind of amusing the way this has turned from a "let me tell you what happened to me" thread into a "this guy (RD or the skipper) had his head up his arse and is totally wrong" thread. Even more than that it amazes me to watch the internet commandos come out under the anonymity of thier protected spaces and fire verbal lobs of how they would do this or that in the situation and then threaten other posters with physical retribution if they had done it on their boat. I sail because I love to sail, I come on here for entertainment or specific advice if I ask for it and since he did not come on seeking advice it would seem his original post was for entertainment values (think professional wrestling) and should be taken as such. I will say this though I would pay money to watch a goold old fashioned Texas Cage Match between RockDawg and Chef2Sail though.
davidpm and Sal Paradise like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 08-06-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013

LetsGo is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. I'm the "Jake" in rockDAWG's narrative. Just wanted to say for now that it's really, really nice to see such an outpouring of interest in this. It gives me hope that this nasty story can serve a purpose.

I'm embarrassed it's taken me this long to check this out. This was such a wretched adventure I've just sort of fled in the opposite direction and preferred not to think about this too much. But now I'm ready to dive in and talk about it… and try to do something about it, too, maybe help others avoid similar dire situations.

They say hell is other people. In this case, nothing could be truer. The weather was fine, the wind good (or would have been IF our incompetent skipper had listened to us and followed it), the ocean gorgeous, and it would have been a fun first major crossing for me. What crazy luck that my first such experience would be almost unprecedented in its nastiness.

What rockDAWG writes is all true. Also, I want to add that he's a fantastic partner to have on a crew, even under the worst (the WORST) conditions—great at many things, great company, always ready with a (sometimes good) joke.

More about that later. Shortly I'll have some details to add to this story for those who want them—more about the weather routing part of it, about the Transpac committee's total unresponsiveness and refusal to do the least thing to help us, about the insane dynamic between "Harry" and "Jane," about "Sheryl," about my own coping mechanisms under these insane circumstances, and bits and bobs about everything else.

Onwards!
"Jake"
tankersteve and MarkofSeaLife like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to LetsGo For This Useful Post:
cruisingdream (08-07-2013)
Old 08-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Cool. I look forward to the bits and bobs.

Welcome to SN dude.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-06-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=smackdaddy;1069833]Cool. I look forward to the bits and bobs.

QUOTE]

Shite, I first read that as "tits and boobs".

Was looking forward to it.

Dang.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 08-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Jake - welcome.
I am curious about a lot of things, but start with this one:
Did you all talk to any experienced people before leaving?
Given you say " and it would have been a fun first major crossing for me", RD admits to having never flown a spinnaker, and the owner seems inexperienced *at best*, there was no real way for this trip to go well. Flying a chute at night 2 up is a challenge in anything but near calm weather for experienced crew, let alone people new to chutes and offshore sailing.

Second question: What exactly should the Transpac RC have done? The Bermuda races I have done had minimum qualifications for crew you all would not have met. They could have - if they were smart - denied your entry. Other than that, what could they possibly do? Seriously? Go out in a plane and parachute more crew? Drop water to you? Or ?????

Once again, thanks for posting.

Old 08-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
Shite, I first read that as "tits and boobs".

Was looking forward to it.

Dang.
That would be a MUCH better story.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-06-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Jake-- I think everyone is interested in seeing some video.
Old 08-06-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
What rockDAWG writes is all true. Also, I want to add that he's a fantastic partner to have on a crew, even under the worst (the WORST) conditions—great at many things, great company, always ready with a (sometimes good) joke.

Onwards!
"Jake"
Hi Jake,

Welcome aboard!

To have a great partner under the worst conditions who is still able to make a joke is what is so difficult to find in any avenue of life.

Thanks for giving support to your friend at this time. He has been copping a load in this thread and needed your timely arrival!

A man who says things like you say about a man is, indeed, a man.

Onwards
oceangirl likes this.
Old 08-06-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
Hi everyone. I'm the "Jake" in rockDAWG's narrative. Just wanted to say for now that it's really, really nice to see such an outpouring of interest in this. It gives me hope that this nasty story can serve a purpose.

I'm embarrassed it's taken me this long to check this out. This was such a wretched adventure I've just sort of fled in the opposite direction and preferred not to think about this too much. But now I'm ready to dive in and talk about it… and try to do something about it, too, maybe help others avoid similar dire situations.

They say hell is other people. In this case, nothing could be truer. The weather was fine, the wind good (or would have been IF our incompetent skipper had listened to us and followed it), the ocean gorgeous, and it would have been a fun first major crossing for me. What crazy luck that my first such experience would be almost unprecedented in its nastiness.

More about that later. Shortly I'll have some details to add to this story for those who want them—more about the weather routing part of it, about the Transpac committee's total unresponsiveness and refusal to do the least thing to help us, about the insane dynamic between "Harry" and "Jane," about "Sheryl," about my own coping mechanisms under these insane circumstances, and bits and bobs about everything else.

Onwards!
"Jake"
Jake,

Welcome to Sailnet. You and RD have quite a story.

For the time being, until we can discuss it as Mods, please keep the true names of the individuals hidden as RockDawg has done.

Thanks. Look forward to your point of view also.

Brian
(Moderator)
Slayer likes this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: