Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Open ocean spinnaker flying at night can be done with 2 people on watch if the weather isn't too bad. Once you get to the point of needing sheet in and main in and sheet out and main out 4 is minimal and steering more than one hour very tough. We have - with a crew of 6 good people - switched to the genoa at night so two people could handle jibes and everyone else could get some rest.
jephotog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

I have a bunch of questions and you're not going to like my tone. Deal with it. I've worn out the carpet racing to and delivering home from Hawaii.

1). Who was responsible for navigating?
2). What navigation tools were available? Did you use a race routing program like Expedition?
3). We're there any boat polars aboard?
4). Did you two ALWAYS use the AP while the kite was up?
5). Why did you NOT use the spinnaker net if you had one available?
6). How often did you download weather data? What form did that data take? We're they gribs or iso charts? If they were gribs, did you have the tools to correct the, to local/observed weather? Do you even know this is possible?
7). Can you please describe to me how working on the foredeck was so life endangering?
8). Do you know how to clear a wrap by gybing the boat?
9). Do you understand the implications of the use of the word "mutiny"?
10). Do you think being involved in a mutiny will hurt your shot at getting another ride?
11). Could you two have done anything at all without the autopilot?

Seriously, I am not either of yours greatest fans, nor do I think that the Harry, Jane, mom team belonged out there. I don't care if you thought it was easy, you MADE IT EASY by using the Bloody autopilot! I just don't see where you two get off thinking that you're entitled to take command of someone's boat. Working on a foredeck is what sailors do. We do it at night, and we do it when it's blowing a lot more than 17 kts. Personally, you're a pair of whining kittens.

Nick Salvador
Richmond, CA
chef2sail and aeventyr60 like this.

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-07-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Some cats were offended and are charging me with a hate crime.
Old 08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Open ocean spinnaker flying at night can be done with 2 people on watch if the weather isn't too bad. Once you get to the point of needing sheet in and main in and sheet out and main out 4 is minimal and steering more than one hour very tough. We have - with a crew of 6 good people - switched to the genoa at night so two people could handle jibes and everyone else could get some rest.
Never had more than two people on deck flying a kite, including through the squalls. And we didn't use the damn AP. over trim it just a touch, then drive to it. The second person is there to run the sheet if you screw up. This ain't brain surgery.
Classic30 likes this.

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-07-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Neighbor is a brain surgeon, he's joined the cats in a class action.
Old 08-06-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Yeah really, WTF, I think you just met Harry's brother
I tried to "like" this repeatedly but unfortunately the system will only take one. Damn near broke my keyboard...and did split a gut!!!
Old 08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yep that's what he said....but be careful how you talk to them as the political correct police have arrived. I can feel another BBQ lesson story coming
Holy Moly! I'm just waiting for either one of these autopilot drivers to put their names on the Pac Cup crew list. "We're life saving rockstars", but we can't drive a boat downwind, night or day, without using the bloody autopilot.

My apologies. Harry and Jane are idiots. Both for their lack of self awareness, and for bringing these two along for the ride.

Q 12: how many gallons of water were on board when you departed? The boat has three tanks, containing 145 gallons total. What were the gauges reading? Yeas, I know that they're notoriously inaccurate. What was the water consumption plan? How many showers did each of you take?

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-07-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Christian Right is spamming my inbox until I deleted the religious slur.
Old 08-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
I have a bunch of questions and you're not going to like my tone. Tough sh$t, deal with it. I've worn out the carpet racing to and delivering home from Hawaii.

1). Who was responsible for navigating?
2). What navigation tools were available? Did you use a race routing program like Expedition?
3). We're there any boat polars aboard?
4). Did you two ALWAYS use the AP while the kite was up?
5). Why did you NOT use the spinnaker net if you had one available?
6). How often did you download weather data? What form did that data take? We're they gribs or iso charts? If they were gribs, did you have the tools to correct the, to local/observed weather? Do you even know this is possible?
7). Can you please describe to me how working on the foredeck was so life endangering?
8). Do you know how to clear a wrap by bing the boat?
9). Do you understand the implications of the use of the word "mutiny"?
10). Do you think being involved in a mutiny will hurt your shot at getting another ride?
11). Could you two have done anything at all without the autopilot?

Seriously, I am not either of yours greatest fans, nor do I think that the Harry, Jane, mom team belonged out there. I don't give a sh$t if you thought it was easy, you MADE IT EASY by using the F!cking autopilot! I just don't see where you two get off thinking that you're entitled to take command of someone's boat. Working on a foredeck is what sailors do. We do it at night, and we do it when it's blowing one hell of a lot more than 17 kts. Personally, you're a pair of whining pussies.

Nick Salvador
Richmond, CA
Heh-heh. You definitely freed NoStrings Nick!

I guess I just can't see why you keep overlooking the water situation. In my opinion, that's the crux of everything.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-06-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
. I can feel another BBQ lesson story coming
No wories, I won't be wasting another one on ya

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-06-2013

Finally you goofball, using the A.P. IS AGAINST THE BLOODY RULES on a crewed boat. It amazes me that 1). We need to say this to you; and 2) that you're choosing to argue the point. You're lucky that I wasn't on that boat. Harry and Jane would have been the least of your problems.

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-07-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Edited so children can read it.
Old 08-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Guys, guys!
All this hair splitting over what?
They never crossed the finish line! They were 'dnf' before they could be 'dsq'-ed.
Who cares if they ran their motor the whole way?
Never crossed the finish line.
None of this other stuff matters much since there was no 'finish'.

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
jackdale (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
I have a bunch of questions and you're not going to like my tone. Tough sh$t, deal with it. Personally, you're a pair of whining pussies.

Nick Salvador
Richmond, CA
Personally I hope he tells you to take your questions and go piss up a rope.

Whining pussies? Don't remember anybody whining to you ...perhaps you have them confused with one of your crew.

And personally I wouldn't have your overbearing ass aboard my boat for a beer at the pier let alone underway.

I would consider that perhaps they had a better go of it with Harry than to have been at sea with a shipmate with your attitude.

Now flame back at me. You seem to be highly qualified for that. Doesn't have to be now...perhaps after you finish showing Neptune his way around the Eastern Pacific.