Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Responsible or irresponsible hard to tell on this one. However, in light of diminishing supplies something had to be done by somebody. Maybe there was enough and it was just part of the "survivor" type game being played out. What say you tribe?
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Agreed. I'm in the middle of teaching my two young boys all about conserving water on the boat. You just have no clue until you get out there.

So, yeah, these are the primary questions in my book. Because as I said above, the water issue is where an actual threat to life potentially existed. And wherever the negligence for that threat lies is where the actions taken in this story are either justified or not.

From all accounts, it's easier for me to believe the story than assuming that Captain Furious was being as responsible as you lay out above. After all, he apparently left the dock for a SLOW 2K run without making sure the tanks were sufficiently full.
Therein lies the rub eh? I would have departed with 80 gallons, split p&s just to be safe. (I had all 75 of mine in three bladders all on stbd). I would have disabled all of the showers and pressure water pumps though. Foot pumps only. Harder to waste water and easier to monitor use.
The Following User Says Thank You to SalNichols94804 For This Useful Post:
Dirtboy (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Almost every post in this thread make me happier that I neither race, nor sail with ANY of the knuckleheads who have posted here. It's pretty obvious that the entire line-up on that boat (Skipper, crew, and 86 y.o.) constituted its own "Perfect Storm" for a 2000+ nm passage; although I still think special attention has to be paid to the skipper's shortcomings. But I think we all need to take a deep breath and tone it down a notch (or three, or five). How about concentrating more on constructive criticism, rather than name-calling and chest-thumping?

Whatever happened to sailing as a nice relaxing pastime?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlowButSteady For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (08-06-2013), mjf55 (08-07-2013)
Old 08-06-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Or maybe strategies to deal with the myriad events that happen out here?
Easy to identify the faults after the fact. Solutions en enroute for this group? Not So.

I"m not a knuckle head either....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Last edited by aeventyr60; 08-06-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Knuckleheaded?
Old 08-06-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Manual pumps for water are definitely a good idea, even on standard cruising boats. I keep my electric pump off at all times unless it's being used. It's too damned easy for a fitting to let go and dump all your fresh water in the bilge before you know it. I have a wrist band attached to the water pump switch. Anyone using the pressurized water system puts the clunky wrist band on, me included. The water switch needs to stay OFF. The use of bottles, manual pumps for salt water (on my to-do list), even pails of salt water below for things like dish washing are ways to save the precious fresh water. I can understand Harry taping off the faucets but taking the fuse out or just switching off the water circuit would have accomplished the same thing.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Old 08-06-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
this is the real world and not everyone agrees or feels sorry for you.

The funniest thing I've read on this thread. There seems to be a few who really believe this is the real world because they are getting pretty worked up.
MedSailor and Minnewaska like this.
Old 08-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

All I can say is if they hit the kind of weather I have had to contend with offshore they would all be dead.
chef2sail and smackdaddy like this.

Old 08-06-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
All I can say is if they hit the kind of weather I have had to contend with offshore they would all be dead.
I dunno. RD can come across as an idiot on the forum sometimes (some of the things he doesn't know are surprising to me). But my sense is that he is probably pretty capable. He certainly proved to be an asset in getting this boat into port safely (IMO). I admire his willingness to do it under less than perfect circumstances (and when it is someone else's boat it is always less than perfect).

But yeah - the absence of any weather issues is pretty notable. Damn -- that woulda been an even better story!
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by blowinstink; 08-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
Never had more than two people on deck flying a kite, including through the squalls. And we didn't use the damn AP. over trim it just a touch, then drive to it. The second person is there to run the sheet if you screw up. This ain't freaking brain surgery.
End for end or dip pole. Big difference.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-06-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

In really bad stuff you'll need teamwork with people that trust each other and know each other's moves.

Handling a really dangerous situation with a divided crew that does not trust, like, or respect each other *AT BEST* is a nightmare I would never want to experience.
chef2sail and oceangirl like this.

Last edited by Coquina; 08-07-2013 at 06:07 AM.