Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
what you cite is mutiny verbiage (rockDAWG does like his verbiage)
And, puffing up. Apparently. But, yeah, I took some of rock's story with a grain of salt. People tend to embellish when telling a story. Regardless of how bad, or for that matter, good, the experience is.

Quote:
Sure, we weren't in imminent danger, but we didn't want to find ourselves in imminent danger, either, and it was looking to end up that way.
So, this was more a psychological fear, than one based in fact? If so, I certainly can see how, being stuck in the middle of the ocean in less than optimal circumstances could magnify the fear of imminent danger.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
I'll look for good stuff, but honestly it's not very dramatic, since I didn't usually have the energy to shoot when there was drama going on. I wish I'd thought to put on the head-mount during one of the night-time spinnaker dramas, but I didn't.

I have some audio files of Harry's ranting and raving. I'll look for a good one.
Would be nice to see the video of the 2 day pre-race preparation that your film crew taped. It seems like that might provide some insight to what you guys faced when deciding to proceed. Of course, you don't *have to* show it. Just would be nice.
Old 08-07-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Chef (and Sal),

Why does this make you so mad? What's the nerve they hit?

Your ire is up so high that you've even stated that you're willing to try and sabotage RD's future crewing prospects (but curiously not the sushi chef's) in the real world for what he's posted here.

RD has done nothing to you. Neither did the sushi chef, and you weren't anywhere near what has transpired. You are witness to the telling of a story, not the grand judgement of St. Peter.

Seriously, are you willing to share what is is about this that bug you so much? Can I buy you enough strong rum drinks to calm that nerve that's been struck?

MedSailor
Yes sir, I'll try. First off, this entire tale, as told by these two makes it sound like an episode of Sharknado, where but for their magnificent skills, everyone would have perished. So one of them had to go up the rig? Someone ought to be doing that every few days anyway. Life threatening? No more than an uninspected rig falling on your head. Back up with a second halyard and what's the big deal? Dousing a fouled kite on the foredeck is risking life and limb? On one hand there isn't enough wind, on the other this task is a life and death struggle. Sails go up and down day and night on these races, I don't understand the life threatening drama. This behavior just drives me over the edge. youre on a sailboat in the middle of the Pacific. You're crew, sails go up and down 24/7. It's your job boys!

These boys started the race upset and continued to escalate the problems by bullying a weak and ineffective captain, to the point that they saw fit to take command of his boat. Then they've come to your community crying woe is me seeking sympathy. It's telling to me that they didn't try posting their story of misery on SA.

They were uncomfortable. It's an ocean race, it happens. You don't eat as you normally would, you're sleep deprived, and you're crammed into a living situation that would be illegal in any prison outside of Florida. It means that you have to be flexible, particularly to the wishes of the owner. And calling everyone on the planet to whine is just so...I'm at a lack for words to describe it.

This entire tale of victim/hero bravado described under the proud title of Mutiny reeks of a lack of character, not a trait that I would be comfortable with offshore.

Lastly, I'll admit to no small bit of frustration with some of the opinions expressed by the non racing members of the forum regarding the way things are done on racing yachts. Neither of us is wrong, and neither of us are unsafe. We just have different priorities.

Trust me, I'm not defending Harry and Jane, they were over their head. I didn't express this as well as shadowraith, but that's the nut of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SalNichols94804 For This Useful Post:
happy_sailor (08-13-2013), MedSailor (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013

LetsGo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
So, this was more a psychological fear, than one based in fact?
It was definitely based in fact - the running-out-of-water wasn't going to happen tomorrow, but it was certain to happen if we didn't move faster.
Old 08-07-2013

What mode was the ap in when you guys were flying the kite? Compass, Wind, or Waypoint? How about when Harry was sailing with the AP? It's kind of an important question. Also, do you know if the compass had been swung when the ap was commissioned?

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-07-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2013

Btw, by the rules, that boat had to have 5 additional gallons on board, each gallon or two depending upon how you buy it, in a factory sealed container...I.e. not taped up Clorox bottles, or a five gallon jerry. It's part of the pre race inspection. Using them during the race is an automatic DSQ.
Old 08-07-2013

The whole water bit seems to be their main sticking point. Yet, from the description (i.e., Jane taping up the faucet & hiding the bottled water, complaints about only getting 1.5L of water a day), I was left with the impression that they were acting like rebellious teens trying to sneak water above and beyond whatever they were being rationed. Which, in turn, begs the question, if they were so worried about running out of water, why were they trying to sneak extra water? Idunno. Maybe it's just me but the logic seems rather circular.
Old 08-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We seems to have two basis for emotions here.

1. Those who feared for their life on a boat in the middle of the Pacific.

2. Those that can't control themselves reading a story on a computer screen sitting in their living room.

Which sounds like the bigger woosie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 08-07-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Some of Sal's questions were answered previously and some of the others would be for the captain/owner to answer.
Old 08-07-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

This whole water kerfuffle mystifies me. The boat in question tips the scales at about 10 tons. Somehow I really SERIOUSLY doubt that filling the tanks would have made much of difference in her performance. I think the skipper just forgot to top them off before he left. He sure doesn't seem to have put a whole lot of thought into much else (like a decent sail inventory, organizing a shakedown cruise or two, making sure that HE knew how to fly a spinnaker, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera).

For that matter, why did "Good Ol' Skippy" opt to go to the Big Island, rather than Oahu? At the time he made that decision they were far enough north that the difference between going to Hawaii and going to Oahu couldn't have been more than half a day or so.

Finally, how is "Skippy" going to get his boat back to SoCal? Is Chef gonna crew for him?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt