Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
This whole water kerfuffle mystifies me. The boat in question tips the scales at about 10 tons. Somehow I really SERIOUSLY doubt that filling the tanks would have made much of difference in her performance. I think the skipper just forgot to top them off before he left. He sure doesn't seem to have put a whole lot of thought into much else (like a decent sail inventory, organizing a shakedown cruise or two, making sure that HE knew how to fly a spinnaker, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera).
It does affect trim... quite a lot... and if you're in race mode, you certainly don't want to carry water in the wrong place if you can help it at all because, depending on where the tanks are located, it can definitely slow you down.

Never mind the water, I've known people to shift their entire engine and drivetrain a couple of inches forward or back just to get the balance right.. and then use Velcro tape to hold up ceiling linings just to save the weight of screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Finally, how is "Skippy" going to get his boat back to SoCal? Is Chef gonna crew for him?

Last edited by Classic30; 08-07-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Chef (and Sal),

Why does this make you so mad? What's the nerve they hit?

Your ire is up so high that you've even stated that you're willing to try and sabotage RD's future crewing prospects (but curiously not the sushi chef's) in the real world for what he's posted here.

RD has done nothing to you. Neither did the sushi chef, and you weren't anywhere near what has transpired. You are witness to the telling of a story, not the grand judgement of St. Peter.

Seriously, are you willing to share what is is about this that bug you so much? Can I buy you enough strong rum drinks to calm that nerve that's been struck?

MedSailor
Med,

I think your reading an emotion into my pst that isn't there. It may appear that I am mad, but I am not at all. I have nothing againt RD personally and have given him credit for beginning to obtain sailing experience on his trips.

In addition I fing great fault with the Captain and his ultimate responsibility. However he is not posting here and whining and trying to shift blame from himself, nor is he threatening to sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We seems to have two basis for emotions here.

1. Those who feared for their life on a boat in the middle of the Pacific.

2. Those that can't control themselves reading a story on a computer screen sitting in their living room.

Which sounds like the bigger woosie.
Great contribution

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-07-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Funny thing was everyone was worried about rafting up and no one saw the waterspout but me. I was like "Hey guys, why don't we unraft right now" and everyone wanted to know why so I pointed aft and the crew action sped up a LOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well there you go. And as LetsGo called it in and got the verbal ruling which fits the above...what's the issue?

"Even More DFL". Best thing to come out of this thread yet.

PS - Coquina, this is an insane photo:

We had a similar thing on our old boat on Lake Travis:

Not quite as nasty looking as yours!

Old 08-07-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Manual pumps are by no means failsafe, however... Especially, foot pumps that can get inadvertently stepped on or kicked in boisterous conditions...

I know a guy who had to abandon their Pacific Cup race about 700 miles out, after someone accidentally cracked the plastic/nylon housing on a galley foot pump, and allowing most of their water into the bilge before anyone noticed... I was a tough call to quit, they still had plenty of emergency rations in bottles, but the right one...

Good on them, they came back and won their division in the next edition of the race...

It's a good practice to keep a pressure water pump off when not in use, of course - but I don't worry too much about the integrity of my system... I always keep one of the two FW tanks shut off at the tank anyway, so worst case scenario I'll only lose half of what I have aboard... That's one of the few advantages of a shallow bilge like mine as well, even the most modest loss of FW will show itself immediately on my boat...
I only have one large tank, built right into the hull. It's very low, right above the keel, which is good for stability but it'ss not easy to check for water level. I have a counter-level hand pump which is the main pump when out cruising. For drinking water, I carry three 5 gallon containers which get filled with known good water. Replaced the old Jabsco noise-maker with a new centrifugal pump which is so quiet that it could drain the tanks and I'd never hear it running. For emergency supply, kept in the ditch bag, I have a manual reverse osmosis unit. IMO, a necessary gadget to have on any boat going far from shore.
Old 08-07-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
The whole water bit seems to be their main sticking point. Yet, from the description (i.e., Jane taping up the faucet & hiding the bottled water, complaints about only getting 1.5L of water a day), I was left with the impression that they were acting like rebellious teens trying to sneak water above and beyond whatever they were being rationed. Which, in turn, begs the question, if they were so worried about running out of water, why were they trying to sneak extra water? Idunno. Maybe it's just me but the logic seems rather circular.
If it's hot and you're doing the kind of strenuous work often required on a sailboat, 1.5 l of water is not nearly enough. Is that what this "captain" planned for? It isn't even enough if you're sitting on your butt doing nothing. Water is a CRITICAL issue. Keeping hydrated is a long-known critical factor in any sport. Planning to deprive crew members of adequate water is ludicrous.
Sn0wman, smackdaddy and glassdad like this.
Old 08-07-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

If you go over to the SA site under the title of "86 year old in the pit" there is a picture of the boat with Shirley. I get the feeling that she may well have been the most competent person aboard that boat and her telling the "story" may well be the most accurate. I still don't get the need for a "film crew", but who knows the reasoning?
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 08-07-2013

?

No way I have better judgement than to get on a boat for 2000 miles with the Captain.

Just saying.

Do not extrapolate my comments about Jake's and RD to mean I think this Captain is anything but incompetent. Had he had crew with experience it would compensate somewhat, but we know that didn't happen with difficult results

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-07-2013

Forgot number 3. The 30000 foot view of superiority.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-07-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Replaced the old Jabsco noise-maker with a new centrifugal pump which is so quiet that it could drain the tanks and I'd never hear it running. .
This is a serious potential problem for sure. We made sure that our pressure pump is loud enough that we can hear it.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.