Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Should have stopped in Hollywood on your way home to strike a movie deal.
ottos likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdream View Post
Should have stopped in Hollywood on your way home to strike a movie deal.
Should stop at a lawyers office and start a suit for reckless endangerment, both on Harry and on the Transpac race organization.
Old 07-31-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Transpac 2013 PUBLIC - Powered by Yellowbrick Tracking

The tracking part is still there. There is another site with info too, or at least was. I doubt it was removed. The one above shows the aquarius at Hilo, the other boats to the north, and some heading home already.

Marty
LoboPops likes this.
Old 07-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Marty...do you think "Harry" will be able to GET his boat home?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Great title for a movie. What actor should play Harry?

There are many dangers that can be encountered as we hike alone in wilderness areas or sail to remote locations, but all of these maybe the most dangerous is a fellow human. For the vast majority of encounters it is benign and worthwhile, but the danger is still there. While I admire your patience and restraint, I don't think you realize the danger that you were in.... not from nature, but from Harry. Even letting the CG know of your situation does not help protect you from the actions of an irrational man. Glad you survived.
juggleandhope and LoboPops like this.
Old 07-31-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Should stop at a lawyers office and start a suit for reckless endangerment, both on Harry and on the Transpac race organization.
I don't know, some of this reads to me, at least as written, somewhat implausible...

For example, the contact made with the military ship on Day 6, and the request to be taken off due to the "unsafe environment"...

Quote:

In despair, Jake contacted a military ship “HS V2 Swift” nearby for rescue, claiming unsafe environment. Unfortunately Harry and Jane refused to let us leave the boat. The captain of Swift talked on the radio that they would monitor for 3 hours. They took away the VHF radio and sent Swift away. We were officially their prisoners.
What, were Harry & Jane holding guns to their heads? Moreover, the captain of the SWIFT doesn't even bother to investigate the situation further, and is content to be simply "sent away" by someone who apparently speaks barely understandable English? After the original request to be evacuated was made by someone speaking "perfect English"? If that is, indeed, how this encounter went down, it certainly doesn't speak very highly of the command of the SWIFT or the Navy's concern for the safety of American sailors on the high seas - particularly in an age where Carnival cruise ships and Liberian-flagged merchant vessels are willing to come to the aid of distressed sailors, literally, at the drop of a hat... :-)

It's not like it would have taken the SWIFT very long to arrive on scene to check things out, after all...

I don't know, just sounds like there might be a tad more to certain elements of this story :-)
chef2sail and LoboPops like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-31-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2013
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

When that guy re-gained consciousness , his clothes would have gone out of style , & if the water ran out I'd have slit his throat & drank his blood .
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 07-31-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Harry will probably get his boat home.....altho suspect it will be hired help without him on board, or he will have to sell there........

but, as I was packing truck for the day, a thought occured. Many if not most countries other than the US, would require ea boat to have 2-3 prep races with the crew generally speaking as is to be sailed on longer races like this. This in reality, would have weeded out this skipper/boat combo. As it is now, ANYONE could potentially enter this race, even if the boat was not fit, skipper/crew member(s) are not fit etc.

Hopefully if this hits the YC's in charge etc, they may get looked at by USSA or equal and told to tighten the screws on initial interviewing the skippers etc as happened at the Chi-mac after the flipping of the boat and 2 folks died in an improper designed boat for the task being down. The skipper/crew manifests should also be looked at etc a bit more also in this races case. I know locally, the vic-maui has some qualifying races that need to be down before you can actually cross the start line, this would potentially/probably, not not 100% positive, taken this guy out before the start.

marty
The Following User Says Thank You to blt2ski For This Useful Post:
SOVT (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Dawg, that is a pretty gnarly experience, no doubt!
You must have angered the sea gods somehow to deserve this amount of sh...t fall on you...
Glad you made it home safely and thank you for a great story!
I always consider people to be the most important factor in every situation.
Old 07-31-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, some of this reads to me, at least as written, somewhat implausible...

For example, the contact made with the military ship on Day 6, and the request to be taken off due to the "unsafe environment"...

What, were Harry & Jane holding guns to their heads? Moreover, the captain of the SWIFT doesn't even bother to investigate the situation further, and is content to be simply "sent away" by someone who apparently speaks barely understandable English? After the original request to be evacuated was made by someone speaking "perfect English"? If that is, indeed, how this encounter went down, it certainly doesn't speak very highly of the command of the SWIFT or the Navy's concern for the safety of American sailors on the high seas - particularly in an age where Carnival cruise ships and Liberian-flagged merchant vessels are willing to come to the aid of distressed sailors, literally, at the drop of a hat... :-)

It's not like it would have taken the SWIFT very long to arrive on scene to check things out, after all...

I don't know, just sounds like there might be a tad more to certain elements of this story :-)
Agree. The thing that seems implausible is that anyone would endure a madman for more than a very short time before setting him straight in one form or another. People willingly staying confined to berths on the whim of a loony??? Makes no sense. It isn't 1810 and the crew aren't Shanghaied drunks waking up under the command of Capt. Bligh. Something does not add up here.
abrahamx likes this.
neilsty (08-01-2013)