Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
C'mon, man - everyone knows one of the greatest values of pasta offshore is that it can be cooked in seawater... :-)
+1000 likes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
C'mon, man - everyone knows one of the greatest values of pasta offshore is that it can be cooked in seawater... :-)
This was like the best take home message I've gotten out of this whole thread! (I hope you're not kidding around....)

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 08-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
That was actually glacé de viande, ( are you scrambling for the culinary dictionary now) . Demi glacé is a term only a person with pedestrian taste and limited food knowledge from a cook book would use. It is a term what a cheap person would use to impress others who don't know better. Demi glacé is to glacé de viande what a Golden Corral is to Peter Lugars in NYC.
Hey don't blame me for the pedestrian gravy. You're the one slinging the stuff around the kitchen.

Look, a couple of things Chef. First, you post things that are wildly inaccurate, then rant for paragraphs based on that inaccuracy. You can't seem to help yourself. I'm just sarcastically slamming those inaccuracies. Others are pointing them out in a far kinder manner. I just don't have that gene.

For example, these guys didn't "take over the boat". Those were your words. It didn't happen. It's inaccurate. You're making stuff up. Even with all your definitions of gravy and mutiny..."taking over the boat" didn't happen in that story. Period. Yes, they did a lot of stupid stuff, and yes RDawg says he insisted on co-captaining (or something to that affect) but the story doesn't support your statement.

Second, you keep saying this...

Quote:
You can stop making this personal anytime now Steve. You seem to be tracking at me after I exposed your purposeful misrepresentation of the Captains restaurant review to bolster you point
Let's try to clear this up. Here's my post:

+++++++++++

Interesting snippet from SA:

Quote:
Tony-F18, on 01 Aug 2013 - 10:37, said:

I thought the story might be juiced up a little for the sake of a good story, until I found their restaurants's Yelp page:

Review by a customer:

EXTREMELY RUDE, nasty cashier running this place. Service is usually not at the top of my priorities when eating from a little stall in the wall at the farmer's market but this guy went from rude to rabid dog in about 30 seconds. I ordered a few rolls, he gives me change back then walks up to the sushi counter to grab the fish WITHOUT WASHING HIS HANDS OR PUTTING ON GLOVES!! Had I not been watching his every move I would have been tasting dirty cash register fingers in my spicy tuna hand roll. ( I was watching him since from the get go I got the feeling that this was the kind of guy who would spit in your food and call it a garnish).

I kindly requested that he put on gloves and he barked some incoherent annoyingly shrieking broken English at me. I kept calm and tried to explain to the guy that he was required to wear gloves and that If he did not I had the right to ask him to. The guy continued to argue with me but Its amazing how the words HEALTH DEPARTMENT are universally understood in the restaurant world.

This was a total fiasco. The sushi was OK but the cashier needed a muzzle and an attitude makeover.
Sound familiar RDawg?

+++++++++++

First, I acknowledge that I pulled this from SA. Second, if you look on the Yelp page in question, this precise review is there. Where exactly is the "purposeful misrepresentation"? If you feel that it's important to list all the positive reviews, please do so. I don't really care. But, yet again, in saying this quote is a "purposeful misrepresentation" you're saying something that's wildly inaccurate...over and over again...but still inaccurate.

Why do you feel the need to keep doing that? I know you're not great with words, but this is going a good ways beyond that.

See, I'm not an apologist for RDawg. I just think facts are more important than spittle-spraying-hysteria. And I'm in the camp that the buck stops at the skipper. Period. So that informs my viewpoint - not some bromance with RDawg.

Quote:
You need to go back to you BFS thread ( its in big print so you can read without glasses) so the rest of us who understand mutiny means taking over a boat can continue without these personal shots
Mutiny might mean taking over a boat (among other things) - the issue is, there's no proof it happened in this case. That's just all in your very made up mind at this point.

Anyway, you're right the BFS thread is pretty awesome. Even so, I'm fine hanging around here too. It's an interesting thread...as long as people can stick to the facts as we know them at this point.

I'll leave you alone now.
opc11 and TTC like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-08-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

So, who has written the best "dating guide" for skippers and crews?
davidpm likes this.
Old 08-08-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

Any idiot that believes that everything written in yelp is totally accurate deserves to spend his life eating at Mickey Ds.

Smackers is trying to revise history by ignoring what RD originally set to pen, and is applying his own interpretation of what occurred based upon the simple fact that everyone arrived alive.

So why don't we agree upon this: NOTHING AT ALL WORTH TALKING ABOUT happened on this voyage.

Seriously, it works for me.

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-08-2013 at 01:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SalNichols94804 For This Useful Post:
thefacts (08-21-2013)
Old 08-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
So, who has written the best "dating guide" for skippers and crews?
RockDawg?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-08-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Chef,

As far as I know I'm the only person with postings in this thread who has also eaten at the sushi joint in question. It wasn't that great. I don't recall the service being terrible, but the sushi was mediocre (at best). The best thing I can say about the food is that I've had worse. It's basically a tourist/semi-fast-food sort of place. If one really enjoys sushi, this place was pretty forgettable. The ONLY reason we ate there was because my brother-in-law wanted to check out the Farmers Market and we decided to get a bite while we were there. I suspect that is how they get most of their business, they have a great location.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 08-08-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ha, ha, was wondering if the dirt dwellers woulda figured that one out. But then maybe it was out of a can. I here Chef Boyardee makes something similar in a demi glace or was it raggoute?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-08-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
Btw, like Robert Duvall said in Apocalypse Now "Charlie don't surf"...Charlie being your AP. it's just going to drive to an AWA. It can't feel the boat load up as the bow buries in the back of a roller, and IT can't/won't pump the wheel a couple of times to drive the bow down and break the boat loose to set her surfing. Using the AP, you're just really sailing in stop and go traffic.

And you're missing all of the real fun of doing the race.
That is pretty-much exactly was I was alluding to all those pages ago... not to mention that an AP simply cannot anticipate the boat broaching and a gybe all-standing in race conditions once the rudder stalls out (with absolutely no warning either!) can bring the rig down, kill someone or both.

I simply can't see the point in it myself - the risk is too great. IMO, AP's should be banned from long-distance races full stop - but I can understand that, used responsibly (ie. not when you have a kite up), a short-handed crew would appreciate being able to use one. ..which, I suppose, is why the Transpac rules are written as they are.

Last edited by Classic30; 08-08-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Smack.... C2S accused you of being personal? I hate when his childish crud gets quoted, because its the one thing ignore doesn't work on. I've noticed several push backs on his personal attacks in this thread and the likes pour all over them. Do the mods care? It's his M.O. That I'm sure they know.

I will bet, as usual, he has simply repeated himself, called the OP names, denigrated the OPs abilities, exaggerated his position and then when called on it, suggests his opposition is being personal against him. Am I right? How many times are we going to see this show?

This OP went through a personally terrifying experience on a 43 ft boat in the middle of an ocean. Lots of fault to go around, but who in good taste just repeatedly kicks someone like this in the groin, without knowing they're getting very personal. Karma is not mystical. Those around you that are disgusted by your mistreatment of another will lay in wait until you make a mistake, as everyone eventually does, and then get on you like white on rice. I'll bet he didn't get that in my very early post here on Karma.

I can imagine him and a few others above visiting a VA hospital and repeatedly telling all the wounded warriors how stupid they were to get injured. Many of them made mistakes too.

The discussion can constructively be about the epic story, how it could be avoided by others, technique to diffuse, fly a spin at night, even get all OCD over the technical definition of mutiny or the NORs, if you must. I have no beef with identifying what went wrong. A little sympathy for someone who lived their mistake already would be humane.

Continually telling an OP how stupid he was, incompetent, etc, is pretty brutal.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.