Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Sal- the story you related is of even more concern then the RD saga. Seems your friend was a diligent, thoughtful person and the initial event sounds like it would fall in the "act of god" category to my way of thinking but obviously not seen that way in tort.. One can imagine the details and his being held responsible for a failed fitting with presumption of injury due to neglected maintenance making him responsible once the lawyers got a hold of it. Still, sounds like something that could happen to any of us boat owner/captains. Makes you wonder if we should have all crew sign "held harmless" contracts before boarding our boats. Have no legal background. Would be interested in opinion of legal eagles reading this post.

Last edited by outbound; 08-08-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.
So putting me on ignore was not enough. You come out of the shadows to attack. Defending myself is not usually necessary , but seriously you need to just stop reafingy posts since they bother you so much. They don't bother everyone.

My opinions are just that my opinions. I have directed at both Rockdawg as well as the Captain. No one has ruined anyone's rep here. I have not used their actual names even though I have them all. I haven't disclosed any personal information either about anyone concerned. When Rockdawg posted on a public forum it leads to comments. No one required him to do so. With public comments come differing opinions. If you notice I have the same opinions basically as other posters in some ways. You may not like my style or tone sometimes, but that's too bad . Yours isn't so great either in many people's opinion, bit no one is trying to censor you.

The problem Minnie is you want the mods to shut me up and just allow optinpns which only agree with your point of view.

This is not germane to the topic and should be handled in PM not burdening others with your personal feelings or outbursts. If the mods neleibe that I need to tone down or cross a line, they will let me know that way also and I will respect that as in the past.

You don't need to be the SN police. That wouldn't happen anyone because you lack the objectivity.

If you don't agree with what I say just read by it . If you want to respond it and do so without the personal sarcastic reflexes. See this isn't a plane you are the Captain of and can shut everyone up like you are used to. Peaople have different opinions here. Just because they are minority views or different than yours doesn'tean they need to be censored.

Let's keep to the subject here, which is not me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-08-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The problem Minnie is you want the mods to shut me up
Its not just Minnie.

You really come across as an A Grade jerk to other people. Its so unnecessary because you have good ideas and can write well and obviously enjoy your time here.

But the Mods here are too lax feeling that adults will even themselves out.

It really just will take a mod to correct your immature behaviour and then we can have you back posting your usual intelligent stuff instead of your petulant childish drivel.

Mark
TTC likes this.
Old 08-08-2013

Aargau is on a distinguished road

First time on these forums. Interesting thread. Would love to get the side of all parties as I feel some pertinent information is being withheld given that the facts presented compared to the purported justifications and goals of all concerned just don't seem to add up.

On some other forums mods have a rule that 3 replies per poster per thread is probably sufficient to get the point across or evidence that there won't be some kind of resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
It is a term what a cheap person would use to impress others who don't know better. Demi glacé is to glacé de viande what a Golden Corral is to Peter Lugars in NYC.
In an attempt to entirely derail this thread,

It's Peter Luger Steak House, and despite 1 Michelin star for its history, serves quite pedestrian steaks with unimaginative side pairings. Not a good example of high end cuisine, although the sizzling plates do impress tourists who like more maillarding at the expense of overcooking their steaks.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 08-08-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Mods are out to lunch here and I have no clue why.
Old 08-08-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aargau View Post
First time on these forums. Interesting thread. Would love to get the side of all parties as I feel some pertinent information is being withheld given that the facts presented compared to the purported justifications and goals of all concerned just don't seem to add up.

On some other forums mods have a rule that 3 replies per poster per thread is probably sufficient to get the point across or evidence that there won't be some kind of resolution.

In an attempt to entirely derail this thread,

It's Peter Luger Steak House, and despite 1 Michelin star for its history, serves quite pedestrian steaks with unimaginative side pairings. Not a good example of high end cuisine, although the sizzling plates do impress tourists who like more maillarding at the expense of overcooking their steaks.
BLASPHEMY!!!!

Rarely do I see tourists at either Luger's location. I've been to the best steak houses all over the country and the Wagyu at Cut in Las Vegas not withstanding, Luger's is one of the best, tastiest, porterhouse in the country. Pedestrian? HAH!
Old 08-08-2013

Aargau is on a distinguished road

Warning, foodie digression. Apologies in advance.

Quote:
I've been to the best steak houses all over the country and the Wagyu at Cut in Las Vegas not withstanding, Luger's is one of the best, tastiest, porterhouse in the country. Pedestrian? HAH!
They dry age well, but they don't sous-vide their steaks, and as such, have to depend on fat marbling to provide tenderness. Fat doesn't actually add any flavor. Instead if one cooks at 53-56c for 8 to 72 hours (depending on cut) in an immersion circulating water bath then sear with oxyacetylene, one can gelatinize even tough gristle, getting equal tenderness but with more flavor. They also use corn-fed midwest beef which I find is surpassed by many others, Maesawa/Matsusaka/Wagyu.

Japan has the best steaks I find (DONS de la NATURE, etc.,), although you can make incredible steaks on a yacht using sous-vide techniques. High end cuisine is about great steaks, but also the pairing and presentation.
Peter Luger definitely hasn't mastered the latter part in my humble opinion.
Old 08-08-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Continually telling an OP how stupid he was, incompetent, etc, is pretty brutal.
Not only that but it quite agravating to read all the back and fourth and it makes the thread hard to read by trying to see which post is worth reading and which posts are just people arguing with each other. Really should just start your own thread to bicker with each other.
fryewe likes this.
Old 08-08-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
He was awarded that in compensatory damages.
Lets See. Guy volunteers to help return a yacht to Santa Cruz, proves to be something of a rectum during the trip, the yacht is disabled by a "Shoot Happens" at sea accident, crew manages to get him evacuated and treated such that he survives. Rather than being grateful for that, he sues the shoot out of the yacht owner (presumably) and is awarded $6,000,000 for his "pain and suffering".

If anything, that is a cautionary tail of why one needs to have a prospective crew sign a witnessed hold-harmless and indemnification agreement indicating that they understand that sailing, and particularly ocean passages, are inherently hazardous, and that they willingly with knowledge aforethought accept such hazards voluntarily and without recourse in any event. Particularly so in California considering the litigious nature of place, and the near universal "my problem is someone else's fault and they're gonna pay" philosophy of the place. (That attitude, in part, convinced us to have done with the place when we did even though sadly as some of my forebearers had arrived in the early 1800's--There's even a street in San Francisco named after one of them!)

Jeeze...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-08-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
Btw, like Robert Duvall said in Apocalypse Now "Charlie don't surf"...Charlie being your AP. it's just going to drive to an AWA. It can't feel the boat load up as the bow buries in the back of a roller, and IT can't/won't pump the wheel a couple of times to drive the bow down and break the boat loose to set her surfing. Using the AP, you're just really sailing in stop and go traffic.

And you're missing all of the real fun of doing the race.
Absolutely correct if there is someone aboard that knows how to drive with a spinny. In the event, however, they were likely better letting Otto handle matters in his/its ponderous albeit reliable way, Non?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."