Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Mods are out to lunch here and I have no clue why.
We are here and watching. If it gets really out of hand I will jump in and post a pic of TDW in a bikini. That is like forum syrup of ipecac and all parties forget while they are fighting and just get sick. So Chef et all, don't make me do it.

Brian
davidpm likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
It was a comparison to Golden Corral not to say Lugars is the best. That's a matter of personal taste. Wygu is definitely one of top. I personally like BLT.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

On the subject of Chef, let me just say one thing...I personally don't expect or want the mods to do anything...unless, of course, he seriously crosses a line or breaks a clear rule. And I haven't seen that. Yes, the dude can be insanely annoying...but...

When I first started posting on this forum 5 years ago in the FightClub thread, there must have been 10-20 long-time members that pestered the mods to ban me (even though the thread was all about fighting for crying out loud and I was just a lot better at it than they were). Well, to their absolute credit, the mods didn't ban me...despite the pressure...because I didn't cross the line. I think that's a good thing.

I can pretty easily not read anyone's posts if I want...though I've never had a single person "on ignore". I like to have very spirited debates about ideas and facts. But, I never take myself or some chucklehead's comments all that seriously.

So, rail on Chef, my man! At the same time, pay attention to what people are saying. Minne's right about Karma.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
On the subject of Chef, let me just say one thing...I personally don't expect or want the mods to do anything...unless, of course, he seriously crosses a line or breaks a clear rule. And I haven't seen that. Yes, the dude can be insanely annoying...but...

When I first started posting on this forum 5 years ago in the FightClub thread, there must have been 10-20 guys that pestered the mods to ban me (even though the thread was all about fighting for crying out loud and I was just a lot better at it than they were). Well, to their absolute credit, the mods didn't ban me...despite the pressure...because I didn't cross the line. I think that's a good thing.

I can pretty easily not read anyone's posts if I want...though I've never had a single person "on ignore". I like to have very spirited debates about ideas and facts. But, I never take myself or some chucklehead's comments all that seriously.

So, rail on Chef, my man! At the same time, pay attention to what people are saying. Minne's right about Karma.
We haven't banned you... yet! Personally, I feel a good banning coming on. Goes well with coffee in the morning.

Brian
smackdaddy likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aargau View Post
Warning, foodie digression. Apologies in advance.

They dry age well, but they don't sous-vide their steaks, and as such, have to depend on fat marbling to provide tenderness. Fat doesn't actually add any flavor. Instead if one cooks at 53-56c for 8 to 72 hours (depending on cut) in an immersion circulating water bath then sear with oxyacetylene, one can gelatinize even tough gristle, getting equal tenderness but with more flavor. They also use corn-fed midwest beef which I find is surpassed by many others, Maesawa/Matsusaka/Wagyu.

Japan has the best steaks I find (DONS de la NATURE, etc.,), although you can make incredible steaks on a yacht using sous-vide techniques. High end cuisine is about great steaks, but also the pairing and presentation.
Peter Luger definitely hasn't mastered the latter part in my humble opinion.
Dude - do you want to crew on the next Transpac? If you can pull a steak like that off the rail-mounted Magma, I'll bet even grumpy old SalNich would take you along!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-08-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

And why I commented about mods.

Dont want anyone banned - want to get back to the story and discussion!!!
Old 08-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
thank you

Thank you for your comments. I actually find agreement with them. I alsoso find some annoying, some egotistical, some who have superiority complexes, but most posters are very good. I actually only have one person on ignore and can freely pass by others I find are not worth it.

I have tried to remember It's sometimes dangerous to suggest or extrapolate a tone on the internet where things are much easier to misinterpret than Ilin person.

If you post here you should expect different opinions at times. If you post something controversial lots of different opinions, sometimes passionate.

Be wary of the people who wish to limit expression of ideas . Usually they have an agenda or are unable to see or process other points of view. Arguing for your point is not nearly as dangerous as wanting to muzzle others right to have a point of view.

I treasure the people I have met in person through SN including moderators , and use them as my real true gauge whether my posts are annoying or ovet the top.They know me and would tellme face to face and sometimes do.

I will try AND be more aware thatt my posts are sometimes percieved as over the top. I will also continue to treat people as they treat me. It starts with the assumption of respect. If you are disrespectful to me expect the same in return. Of you want to shut my opinions off, by whining to others and the mods, that's the absolute in disrespect. With me its simple you get what you give.

Simple formula which has alloweded me to make. Many friends on SN both online and in person.
davidpm likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph555 View Post
FROM A PAST CREW LEADER ON HARRY'S BOAT…………….

THIS HAS BEEN A GREAT and by all accounts; a very popular thread. I, and my friends who have or know most of the characters in this tread are enjoying the post. In fact it is very strange, the feelings we have and are experiencing by this post by RD..

It is side-busting funny!!! In the way it was written.. (note: any writer takes liberty with his or her description at the moment of their incerpts, and as we should all know the words and expletives chosen at the time of the writings are injected with an array of word descriptive that of course cannot be taken so seriously as to think their intent is as exactly as written ( ex. ‘I should have fed him to the sharks!! (note; made this ex. up, but the thought could be anything written about anything done… although, we all know; words and actions not carried out are just that)) . We all know that this is venting anger or frustration and it should be viewed just as that. When you hear the words ‘mutiny’, etc. it is oblivious to most everyone reading that this is an ‘in the moment verbal descriptive’ and should be taken as such without ‘overanalyzing the intent of the story… Samuel Clemens was a master of ‘colorful’ descriptive.

Having known some of the characters in this event and in humorous conversations with many of my friends who have read these events all realize that in the absolutely funny account of this incident that many problems did arise from the way this event transpired and concluded. It is obvious to all of us that this was a disaster in the making and the boat should have never left the dock.

We are enjoying the humor in the description by the poster of this story and are having countless moments among friends of some of these people, yacht racers who were in this years race as well as those who have raced this event in the past, plus other racers, cruisers, part-time sailors and an array of others who are amused by what had transpired.
Please note: This is because this’ ship of fools’ made the journey and all arrived (in Hilo …lol) safe and otherwise unharmed (other than ego, financial, exhaustion, hangover and hurt and bruised feelings and relationships)

A funny story though (and this is what bothers me) is in the heat of this controversy; OTHERS IN THIS THREAD HAVE USED THE POPULARITY OF THIS POST TO COMMANDEER IT AS THEIR OWN PLATFORM. There is good and bad in this but, it is somewhat like (ex. A speaker who has secured and engagement after working so hard to learn his topic, commit his time and encounter all difficulty in experiencing, gathering, preparing for and finally presenting his or her account is being or trying to be upstaged by others in the audience who have opinions, accounts, suggestions or needs for interaction…. This, at first is not bad because the speaker must know that there will be reactions to the topic of what he or she is bringing up. As a reader or onlooker it is easy to want to get involved, but the problem is when the reader or audience starts creating his or her own platform off the coat-tails the person who had initiated the post because of his or her experience, then you need to look at that or those persons and wonder if they would be receiving so much attention if they created their own threads and posts. I believe that I am not only speaking for myself, but for others who are amused and as well concerned by the great story originally posted.
For those that seem to be riding the ‘coat-tails’ of the original person who posted, please allow the story(s) to transpire to afford allot of us to enjoy this thread without the sub-performances. And please, do not get me wrong, because some of the posts made by this select few have indeed lend to the ‘colorfulness’ of the original account, but there are just to many pages cluttering this ‘very strange’ account of ones exploits at sea.
And by all means, for those select few who have found a fertile platform on which to express your opinion please label and start a separate thread from this one and I, at least will be one of who know how many will read your opinions and resolves. As well, do not stop posting on this thread some of your contributions as I and I am sure others do enjoy your opinions on someone else’s topic.

Lastly, as I have sailed with Harry and Jane on other occasions and have compiled my logs, and statements from others who have sailed with them, known them from the marinas, consider them friends, rivals, or a love-hate opinion. I will post this information in intervals, if needed or if the occasion arises as soon as the thread revolves back to the original poster and those interested in his and other (crew, caption, owners, 86 yr. Old plus anyone else venturing forth a comment or tow or three).

Plus, I have kept the phone conversations with Jane and Harry as well as the text messages between myself and Harry and Jane and may be willing to post them if they are to be received in a constructive way. I also have records and statements from other past crewmembers and from the original crew, which declined before the race.

And mind all of you, I have both respect and des-respect for Jane and Harry and of course I have an opinion about those two (semi-experienced and obviously un-prepared) last minute replacement crew. I think the boat was ill-prepared (they decided to enter TransPac a little over a month before the race. (All my friends, crewing, skippering this race this year and in the past years plan for this event at least a year or two before). All the red-flags were up and this boat in all honestly, should never have left the dock, or at the very least they should have divulged that this was more of a cruise than a race. I do though; have respect for anyone (owners and crew and a 86yr. old woman) for having the courage, adventuresome spirit and frankly, the ‘balls’ to attempt such a feat.

And Jane, with all her in-experience (though, she had made the return trip from HI several years back on one of this years racer’s boat, and had cruised and raced extensively in Mexico), unfortunately, she is in way over her head and finds herself resorting to manipulative tactics to get her way. She is very strong-willed and in her willingness to prove herself she has at times created some very dangerous conceptions. But, if she would ever concede to really learning the basic foundation of sailing she would be a ‘positive’ force to be reckoned with. (some people, it seems believe too much in the Hollywood version of sailing, adventure and skill… the ‘Whomper’).

I have heard through other sources that Jane will post soon but like Jake and probably RD I am sure they are hesitant to post more info until the platform returns to their STRANGE and rather interesting stories!!!

Cheers to all………….
I would love to hear your versions and invite others to this thread too.

However, let me warn you that this is a forum, and the internet, and things do drift off topic. It is just life and reality on these sites. But I highly suspect that if you and or Jane or Harry get on this thread, it will quickly go back on topic!!!

Brian
(Moderator)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
Randolph555 (08-08-2013), thefacts (08-21-2013)
Old 08-08-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Plus, I have kept the phone conversations with Jane and Harry as well as the text messages between myself and Harry and Jane and may be willing to post them
Please don't. People should be able to engage with each other via phone/sms without having to worry about their private conversations being plastered on inet.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:
Randolph555 (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FROM A PAST CREW LEADER ON HARRY'S BOAT…………….

Lastly, as I have sailed with Harry and Jane on other occasions and have compiled my logs, and statements from others who have sailed with them, known them from the marinas, consider them friends, rivals, or a love-hate opinion. I will post this information in intervals, if needed or if the occasion arises as soon as the thread revolves back to the original poster and those interested in his and other (crew, caption, owners, 86 yr. Old plus anyone else venturing forth a comment or tow or three).

Plus, I have kept the phone conversations with Jane and Harry as well as the text messages between myself and Harry and Jane and may be willing to post them if they are to be received in a constructive way. I also have records and statements from other past crewmembers and from the original crew, which declined before the race.

Cheers to all………….
It would not be appropriate to post those conversations on this forum.
MarkofSeaLife and Randolph555 like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
oceangirl (08-08-2013), Randolph555 (08-08-2013), thefacts (08-21-2013)