Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
...it sure did not sound like a pleasant cruse.
That's the part I am having trouble figgering out...being on a boat headed for Hawaii and somehow being in a foul mood or less than fully engergized!!!
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 08-08-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickAndWide View Post
All this cowardice about sharing actual info is a real drag - particularly from folks with no dog in this fight. Thanks to the OP who did share.
Has not a thing to do with cowardice. It has to do with volunteering to post private phone calls/text messages to inet. Calls/messages that do not even pertain to what occurred during this particular journey. Moreover, the only reason, that I can see, for volunteering to violate these people's privacy, is to support the claim that these people are a nightmare to deal with. And, afaics, no one participating on this thread has questioned that. So, why even consider doing so? So that a bunch of strangers can ooh-and-ah? And basically, jerk off over what horrible people they are? Maybe I'm just old school. But I find that sort of thing just plain unnecessary, and for that matter, offensive, in the telling of this particular tale.
thefacts likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:
thefacts (08-21-2013)
Old 08-08-2013

ParallaxView is on a distinguished road

Is this the same Rockdawg?
from Sailnet
Crew, Captain and Owners forum
Post #47
Old 08-08-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Absolutely correct if there is someone aboard that knows how to drive with a spinny. In the event, however, they were likely better letting Otto handle matters in his/its ponderous albeit reliable way, Non?
Non. They're on the open ocean. If the state of play aboard what appears to have been a cruising boat along for the ride is what it sounds like it was, they would have been better advised (IMHO and as has been mentioned here before by others) especially at night, to pole out the genoa and leave the spinnaker for such times as the Crew on Watch felt they could handle it...
chef2sail and thefacts like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic30 For This Useful Post:
thefacts (08-21-2013)
Old 08-08-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Non. They're on the open ocean. If the state of play aboard what appears to have been a cruising boat along for the ride is what it sounds like it was, they would have been better advised (IMHO and as has been mentioned here before by others) especially at night, to pole out the genoa and leave the spinnaker for such times as the Crew on Watch felt they could handle it...
I agree entirely as I noted in an earlier comment. Never-the-less, they did have the Spinnaker up in the event and, given that, they'd have done better letting Otto handle the driving. Frankly, they'd have done better simply staying in Long Beach and knocking back a few beers at the Rusty Pelican or LBYC.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-08-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
NOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not THAT!!! Please, not THAT!!!

We'll be good. HONEST!!!
I'm well annoyed I can tell you .... he promised me he'd destroyed the negative.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-08-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallaxView View Post
Is this the same Rockdawg?
from Sailnet
Crew, Captain and Owners forum
Post #47
Rockdawg is a Chinese-American who is a doctorate level professional. He is a consumate gentleman, and is a renaissance-type individual who has a wide variety of skills that are particularly useful on a sailboat. His mission to become a solo-circumnavigator has already brought him to cross the Gulf Stream 4 or 5 times in the last year as crew on other sailing vessels, and his accumulated knowledge of every major mechanical and electrical system on sailboats is impressive. Did I mention that he is an accomplished chef and can prepare an above average meal in a rough sea?

Rockdawg is a reliable, knowledgable, polite, loyal, and skilled sailor, who is always advancing his education and experience in the world of sailing. He has an ingenuity and work ethic that is uncommon nowadays. He is comfortable with both taking the captains directions, or taking the initiative in making independent decisions to advance the objectives of the passage in a safe and skillful manner. "Reliability" cannot be underestimated when you pick a crew member...especially when you only have 1 crew! Rockdawg will be the last man standing when the going gets rough. He would always rather be offshore in a sailboat than most any other place.

Rockdawg has become a valued friend of mine with whom I hope to share future sailing adventures. Whenever I sail now, I will call Rockdawg first, and if you are fortunate enough to find him available as crew on one of your trips then you can rest assured that you will be getting a first class gentleman and sailor to help make your passage safe, happy, and successful.
carl762 likes this.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 08-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Rockdawg is a Chinese-American who is a doctorate level professional. He is a consumate gentleman, and is a renaissance-type individual who has a wide variety of skills that are particularly useful on a sailboat. His mission to become a solo-circumnavigator has already brought him to cross the Gulf Stream 4 or 5 times in the last year as crew on other sailing vessels, and his accumulated knowledge of every major mechanical and electrical system on sailboats is impressive. Did I mention that he is an accomplished chef and can prepare an above average meal in a rough sea?

Rockdawg is a reliable, knowledgable, polite, loyal, and skilled sailor, who is always advancing his education and experience in the world of sailing. He has an ingenuity and work ethic that is uncommon nowadays. He is comfortable with both taking the captains directions, or taking the initiative in making independent decisions to advance the objectives of the passage in a safe and skillful manner. "Reliability" cannot be underestimated when you pick a crew member...especially when you only have 1 crew! Rockdawg will be the last man standing when the going gets rough. He would always rather be offshore in a sailboat than most any other place.

Rockdawg has become a valued friend of mine with whom I hope to share future sailing adventures. Whenever I sail now, I will call Rockdawg first, and if you are fortunate enough to find him available as crew on one of your trips then you can rest assured that you will be getting a first class gentleman and sailor to help make your passage safe, happy, and successful.
G ....
Quote:
edited by tdw, contention not reallly acceptable
..... d.

Great 2nd post, so who called you and suggested the damage control that you felt to join SN now and not before.

This thread has runs its course for me unless someone new from the boat comes forth. We now have the ghosts of Christmas past joining Sailnet to present testimonials.
thefacts likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by tdw; 08-09-2013 at 09:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
thefacts (08-21-2013)
Old 08-08-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
We are here and watching. If it gets really out of hand I will jump in and post a pic of TDW in a bikini.
The bill from my therapist is in the mail. Please pay it because if they take me off the Thorazine and I start seeing that image in my mind's eye again, I cannot be held liable for my actions.
Old 08-08-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Gag...
Chef. Fwiw, the review that Sal Paradise quoted was posted by someone else on January 19, 2013, in the Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback thread in the Crew wanted/available forum.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.