Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
Pictures of rodents....whatever floats your lame arse boat?
Damn, I though that I was an a**hole. Why don't you take your obnoxious attitude and go annoy the people on SA.

poopdeckpappy and AlaskaMC like this.
Old 08-09-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Damn, I though that I was an a**hole. Why don't you take your obnoxious attitude and go annoy the people on SA.

Oh please, don't let me dissuade you from your attempt at self awareness. Your initial instinct was more than likely correct. You probably do enjoy tickling yourself there eh?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Oh please, don't let me dissuade you from your attempt at self awareness. Your initial instinct was more than likely correct. You probably do enjoy tickling yourself there eh?
I'm curious...have you won anything lately?

PS - I just figured it out. Sal is Harry. Do the math.

"When Harry Met Sal?"
BentSailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-10-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2013

A few goofy prizes on Express 37s and J-111s, just one cog in the machine. Lost the '10 race, but got a electrically dead boat to Oahu in 9 days. got smoked on corrected time on the '12 Pac Cup, but proud of the fact that I got everyone there and back safely. 2009 SF OYRA PHRO1A Season Championship. Do you have a point?

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 08-10-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2013

No wonder Perry doesn't miss this place.
Old 08-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm curious...have you won anything lately?

PS - I just figured it out. Sal is Harry. Do the math.

"When Harry Met Sal?"

Really now!!

How low can you stoop Steve. Just because he differs in opinion from you doesn't mean the ridicule card needs to be. Did you forget and mean that post for SA. Oh ok I get it now, you'll say you were only joking...lighten up.

How can you ridicule this posters experience when you dont even know him.

Do you have " ocean race " experience or is it even be less than Harry's and more than likely a SN certificate. I think even Harry was in races to Puerto Vaharda not just hanging out in the Gulf.

For those who think i have it in for RD and its personal read this. I don't like his style, and many other things, but I have to give him credit because he has done more than pontificate himself on the Internet. He has attempted at least by action to go forward and do many blue water cruising than many of us in the last couple of years.

This time he tried to step his experience up a notch and had he done it correctly and he had allied himself with an experienced crew like Sals or Randolf who posted earlier, he woud have gained huge experience as well as had a much different post. I actually was looking forward to reading his postings as I think many here were when he posted he had figured a way to defer the deposition for a chance to crew in this race.

We can learn from his mistakes. He should have waited and listened to the voice on his shoulder when he got there that said, nope this isn't the right situation, not only will I not learn, but I might be in danger. There is a huge difference in what he found and getting in with an established race crew.

I raced in Annapolis for many years and it took a while to get a permanent ride and crew on the same boat. I was willing to pay my dues to learn from racers who had many years experience. Part of that became a safety/ trust thing as we knew each other. From that I was asked to be part of a crew for a few Annapolis to Newport, Newport to Bermuda, Marblehead to Halifax, races as well as a Carribean 1500. Racing and passage making are two different things. The racing was dangerous enough without the added burden of not knowing the crew or Captain. These races are nothing like the Transpac either as they can gt to land in a few dys if needed not 1000 miles in the Pacific from and in the middle of the race.

His step into that arena was to large a one and in his zeal to gain more knowledge he compromised some of the obvious red flags going with the ilk of Harry presented to more experienced racers who have presented themselves here in this post. While commenting strongly on his voyage has won me little friends ( who cares) RD, his premise for gaining the experience is good, but he needs to back down his ego some and get involved with a good established crew to get it. Racing experienced is invaluable, and ocean racing even more so in learning how to passages make as well as sail and boathandling. Most cruising you don't push the boat nearly as hard as racing.

For you to ridicule this mans racing experice in light of your lack of it is not very funny.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-10-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Sal, that was in poor taste on my part, it's gone and I apologise

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-10-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Chef, read Sal's last couple posts............Sheeezz, should've gave you the AH award

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Don't let him run you off. Thats what he wants. Theres a difference between experience and posing. Others on here have I enjoyed your contribution in this as well. Very few here have actual ocean racing experience. Every site has its "prickly emotional chef" and its "sarcastic cutting Smackdaddy" who plays to the crowd. After all as one mod once told me " don't let the stuff here bother you, it's only the Internet"

When you present a minority opinion on here many have had to withstand the digging insults camouflaged as humor. He gets away with it here because of the way this site is. I noticed He is very careful not to try this on SA and stays with the pack, cause he'd become road kill by the experienced racers quickly if he insulted them the same way there. They are not very PC.

I would like to know a good way to get involved in this race. Feel free to PM me
davidpm and thefacts like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-10-2013

sevvy is on a distinguished road

This should be a movie!