Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

This has to be one of the best stories I have read on SN in a long time!!!

Wow Rock! What a story... and you have pics and a video too!?? Holy cow.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Best thread ever.

PS - I just want to know what the 86 y.o. chick was doing this whole time. Must have been great entertainment for her.
I found the following on sailrevolution website...

“I think this will be a great adventure, and everyone should have a good time,” said Shirley Fischer, who is sailing on Hiroyuki Funaoku and Janet Nicholson’s Jeanneau 43 Sun Odyssey DS Aquarius in her first Transpac. “I’m 86 years young, I’ve sailed before with Hiro and my daughter Janet, and they asked me to come, so here I am. I’ve had my own boat before, just sailing from here to Catalina, but Hawaii of course is much further. So I’m looking forward to just being part of this, for going this far, and enjoying the experience.”

When asked about her role on the team, Fischer said “I will do anything I can to help. But when on the helm I was asked to look out for refrigerators and whales!”
Old 07-31-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
I found the following on sailrevolution website...

“I think this will be a great adventure, and everyone should have a good time,” said Shirley Fischer, who is sailing on Hiroyuki Funaoku and Janet Nicholson’s Jeanneau 43 Sun Odyssey DS Aquarius in her first Transpac. “I’m 86 years young, I’ve sailed before with Hiro and my daughter Janet, and they asked me to come, so here I am. I’ve had my own boat before, just sailing from here to Catalina, but Hawaii of course is much further. So I’m looking forward to just being part of this, for going this far, and enjoying the experience.”

When asked about her role on the team, Fischer said “I will do anything I can to help. But when on the helm I was asked to look out for refrigerators and whales!”
I think you just blew their cover!
Old 07-31-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I tend to do that sometimes... ;-)
Old 07-31-2013

az_r2d1 is on a distinguished road

Wow, what a story. I don't think I would have had the patience and would not have put up with it that long. Being the owner doesn't give you the right to be so abusive to your crew, and DEFINITELY does not give you the right to withhold water and food. Add to that the fact that it was all his fault due to bad/lack of planning....

No, the cover needs to be blown. People need to be aware of this so nobody else will fall into the trap.
Old 07-31-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm not sure I follow the logic on this post. Sounds like RockD and this Jake guy (i.e. - the crew) were the only reason that boat made it anywhere near HI.

I looked up the details and they abandoned the race in last place with 300 miles to go. I can't wait to hear part 2.
You're only hearing one side of this story. Do you really expect the storyteller to make a full confession of his incompetence, or do you expect him to paint a story of him and his companion being the heroes of this tale of mis-adventure?

Based on RD's past contributions, my opinion is that he is arrogant and knows all. You don't contribute knowledge to RD, he contributes it to you. You are wrong, and that's the end of it.

Even if we give RD the benefit of the doubt and say that his version of the tale is 100% factual, he is STILL at fault for allowing himself to become trapped in the situation.

The only data I needed in order to decide whether or not I would embark as crew, was the crew manifest he listed in the first paragraph of his opening post: A list of non-usable bodies and complete incompetence if I ever saw one, yet he decided to board and subject himself to the skipper's authority anyway.

Don't look to me for sympathy.
Tempest, chef2sail, willyd and 3 others like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-31-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
You're only hearing one side of this story. Do you really expect the storyteller to make a full confession of his incompetence, or do you expect him to paint a story of him and his companion being the heroes of this tale of mis-adventure?

Based on RD's past contributions, my opinion is that he is arrogant and knows all. You don't contribute knowledge to RD, he contributes it to you. You are wrong, and that's the end of it.

Even if we give RD the benefit of the doubt and say that his version of the tale is 100% factual, he is STILL at fault for allowing himself to become trapped in the situation.

The only data I needed in order to decide whether or not I would embark as crew, was the crew manifest he listed in the first paragraph of his opening post: A list of non-usable bodies and complete incompetence if I ever saw one, yet he decided to board and subject himself to the skipper's authority anyway.

Oh. He's never come across that way to me. Actually the opposite. But, believe it or not, I don't actually read every single post on SN. I'm too busy trying to get my own post count up so I can finally send private messages.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Wow. He doesn't strike me that way either, but I have not read all his stuff.

We all have to remember this is just his impression of what happened. Still, a pretty good story!

I cannot imagine what the video of all this must be like.

Brian
JulieMor and LoboPops like this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-31-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Like I said, even if I'm totally wrong about RD, and his accouting of the story is 100% factual, this is all I need to know to walk away from this situation:

Quote:
Me - rockDawg or RD. as on-board navigator
Jake – Near coastal USCG licensed Captain. Serve as a crew.
Harry - Skipper/Owner – A Japanese national owns a Sushi Restaurant in LA, long time old traditional sailor, but no off shore or long passage experience. Serve as a skipper
Jane – Partner of Harry, co-owner of the Sushi Restaurant. Has no sailing experience. Serve a watch crew as needed
Sheryl – Mother of Jane, 86 yo. No official duty.
Jeanneau 43 – Corporation owned sailing vessel
If that's not enough, the "Day 1" accounting should have been the final nail in the coffin. There were way, way more than enough warning bells in his account, before they ever left the dock.
Tempest likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
Maine Sail (08-03-2013)
Old 07-31-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Like I said, even if I'm totally wrong about RD, and his accouting of the story is 100% factual, this is all I need to know to walk away from this situation:

If that's not enough, the "Day 1" accounting should have been the final nail in the coffin. There were way, way more than enough warning bells in his account, before they ever left the dock.
In all honesty, that would have concerned me too... esp on a run that long.

This thread should also serve as a warning for those who are always looking to crew (esp as 'companions') to something I have long said: WHen you get on that boat, it isn't like you can just get off an leave. You are now in a situation where you are stuck there at the captains whims. No cell phones and no vhf. If rock did not have a sat phone, it might have been even worse??

Just a thought.

But I think many people, esp those without boats, are eager to go sailing and experience stuff and may overlook shortcomings (or pretend to over look them). Me? I got my boat and will (and have) told you to screw off. I ain't going. I am picky amd when I go out, it is with competent people that I trust and will have fun with... fun being the key word. If we can all agree on one thing, it was that no one was having fun on RD's boat! Well, maybe the 86 year old gal. She was watching reality tv for weeks!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
neilsty (08-01-2013)