Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen .....

Sal .... cool it. All your abuse and name calling , hesitant or not, will only cause others to bite back and that is not something we'd like to see. Indeed it could well be your arse that gets the chewing so please, cool it a tadge.

With that in mind ... Smack and Aaron please hold your fire.

cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-13-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Mispelt Aaron's name.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Come on Aaron, why are you lowering yourself to his level? You are better than that
Sometimes it's fun to just jump down in the mud puddle and stamp your feet and splash around. After Harry, and some of the other race fiasco's this year and the Italian team running over the kids in Dinghy's, and the excuses from racers I've read on that, coupled with the dicks cutting us off in Miami on the tug, every once in a while I just want to tell these guy's to suck it.
Old 08-13-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

Sal .... cool it. All your abuse and name calling , hesitant or not, will only cause others to bite back and that is not something we'd like to see. Indeed it could well be your arse that gets the chewing so please, cool it a tadge.

With that in mind ... Smack and Aaran please hold your fire.
Awww man...just when I was beginning to get a glimpse of what it takes to be a real honest-to-god ocean sailor. Darn...
Old 08-13-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay. Well, on the water thing...here's what was said:

There certainly doesn't seem to be any communication regarding water strategy at the beginning of the race. Just the skipper ignoring a reminder from the crew. This decision then apparently led to this outcome:

Is 1.5 liters per day enough drinking water for racers in those conditions?

You're right. There's no logic there at all. It's just bad skippering. Yet you've hammered the crew far harder than this skipper who HAS done races. That's the problem.

And BTW, I'm not one hammering the racing mindset. I like to race. So our games are not all that different.

Jesus Christ. They left LA with 18 days of water for what should have been, at most, a 14 day passage. They didn't need to top off the bloody tanks you pedantic twit.

Should H2O have been discussed before leaving the dock? Absolutely. Do you think that Harry had a few things on his mind at the time? Do you think that just maybe either of these two guys might have taken a couple of things off of his punch list? No, in your case probably not. Because in your case, ocean racing isn't a team effort, it's ALL on the skipper, including the behavior of the crew. Just step aboard, sail, and criticize.

Just perfect.
Old 08-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

With that in mind ... Smack and Aaran please hold your fire.

cheers

Andrew B
Roger That, I'm done.
Nothing but positive posts for while. Not all racers are pricks. etc. etc...
Old 08-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
Jesus Christ. They left LA with 18 days of water for what should have been, at most, a 14 day passage. They didn't need to top off the bloody tanks you pedantic twit.

Should H2O have been discussed before leaving the dock? Absolutely. Do you think that Harry had a few things on his mind at the time? Do you think that just maybe either of these two guys might have taken a couple of things off of his punch list? No, in your case probably not. Because in your case, ocean racing isn't a team effort, it's ALL on the skipper, including the behavior of the crew. Just step aboard, sail, and criticize.

Just perfect.
Just one more......this guy epitomizes every thing I've every posted about racers.
Old 08-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well, Steve has yet to post his cv, so I'm calling ******** on you. (Yes modrators, I used the word ********. Get over it). You don't race, you don't get it, and I personally don't have a problem with that. Why you guys feel obligated to criticize other sailors is beyond me.
Boy, ain't that the truth.

Here's my CV:

-Learned to sail on a day charter in 2008 on a lake in Texas
-Bought into a C27 on that same lake and sailed a lot and had a lot of fun
-In 2010 crewed my first off-shore race, the "Race to The Border", 300 miles from Galveston to South Padre. We DNF'd, along with most of our division, due to literally no wind on day two, which put us all over the finish time.
-Crewed the return delivery on that same 300 mile route.
-In 2011 crewed the "Harvest Moon Regatta", a 150 mile race, on a different boat. There were 186 total boats in that race. We took 6th in our division.
-I crewed the return on that same 150 mile route - assigned watch captain by the skipper.
-In 2012 I crewed the HYC Offshore Regatta, a 75 mile race, on that same boat. We were 3rd over the line. I again served as watch captain (I'm pretty proud of that).
-I also crewed that same return, which was a pursuit race with a staggered start based on PHRF. We were in a cruising boat and were 3rd over the line (first in our division)..in a fleet of J's, Benes, and even a Mac65. We did okay with sail trim.
-Last fall I crewed the delivery of this same boat after the Harvest Moon Regatta - which I was unable to join due to work.

So, true, that's only a total of around 1200 miles of off-shore work. But it's a start.

Oh, and we had a great skipper...and enough water.

PS - I plan to do the next Harvest Moon Regatta in our new boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-13-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Memory improved our standings. Reality corrected.
Old 08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Just one more......this guy epitomizes every thing I've every posted about racers.
Really? Just what in that post did I say that got your knickers in a bunch?
Old 08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Boy, ain't that the truth.

Here's my CV:

-Learned to sail on a day charter in 2008 on a lake in Texas
-Bought into a C27 on that same lake and sailed a lot and had a lot of fun
-In 2010 crewed my first off-shore race, the "Race to The Border", 300 miles from Galveston to South Padre. We DNF'd, along with most of our division, due to literally no wind on day two, which put us all over the finish time.
-Crewed the return delivery on that same 300 mile route.
-In 2011 crewed the "Harvest Moon Regatta", a 150 mile race, on a different boat. There were 186 total boats in that race. We took 3rd in our division.
-I crewed the return on that same 150 mile route - assigned watch captain by the skipper.
-In 2012 I crewed the HYC Offshore Regatta, a 75 mile race, on that same boat. We were 3rd over the line and won our division. I again served as watch captain (I'm pretty proud of that).
-I also crewed that same return, which was an open race with a staggered start based on PHRF. We were in a Pearson 365 Ketch - and were 3rd over the line..in a fleet of J's, Benes, and even a Mac65. We did okay with sail trim.
-Last fall I crewed the deliver of this same boat after the Harvest Moon Regatta - which I was unable to join due to work.

So, true, that's only a total of around 1200 miles of off-shore work. But it's a start.

Oh, and we had a great skipper.
That's great man, keep up the good work. Pity about the lack of breeze.
Old 08-13-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
(Don't need to get over it Mush ... for I , megalomaniacal weasel butt that I is have control of the edit button * - blowing hugs and kisses, tdw) You don't race, you don't get it, and I personally don't have a problem with that. Why you guys feel obligated to criticize other sailors is beyond me. Hell, after every long ocean race, I'm faced with a bloody cruise home. You don't see me pissing and moaning about you guys, even if you don't bother trimming your damn sails.

George, After doing deliveries from 2005 to 2012, and racing non stop from 07-12, I'm taking the year off. I'm restoring my Baltic from the beating she took coming across the NorPac last summer. Hey, ask your skipper about the 07 Santa Barbara race. We passed on opposite tacks off of Goleta, laughing at one another, knowing the other guy was screwed sailing into a dying breeze. That was a fun race.
* control of the ban stick too .....
MedSailor likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-13-2013 at 12:33 AM.