Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Yeah, but there is a point where harry should have been hog tied, Jane as well. Those people were out of their friken minds. I, nor, any of us would of set foot on that boat. But, if I were there, harry would of been tied up and spoon fed 'till we arrived. The CG would of been notified of my actions and I'd challenge them in court with my head held high. These little racing games you guy's play do not give the skipper complete power, and as we know complete power can corrupt completely.
You know as well as I that those decisions should have been made before the lines were cast. You're a professional seaman, once you step aboard you'd do what I would: everything you could to get that passage ended safely and quickly. I also suspect that as a professional seaman you're more than capable of managing difficult situations without resorting to zip ties and duct tape.

But I know you've been tempted, right? Tell me if you'd ever work again if you used RD's tactics on one of your ships with a captain that was disagreeable.

Be honest now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
You know as well as I that those decisions should have been made before the lines were cast. You're a professional seaman, once you step aboard you'd do what I would: everything you could to get that passage ended safely and quickly. I also suspect that as a professional seaman you're more than capable of managing difficult situations without resorting to zip ties and duct tape.

But I know you've been tempted, right? Tell me if you'd ever work again if you used RD's tactics on one of your ships with a captain that was disagreeable.

Be honest now.
If harry was as nuts, and jane as well, as RD say's. I could probably take legal control of the ship. Chances are their insanity was greatly exaggerated, but, if they were as nuts as I've been led to imagine, than ya, I would work again if I zip tied 'em. I can tell story's of captains being poisoned with visine till they where deathly ill. I know of crazy captains disapearing completely. And also sabotaged. We can make captains go from hero to zero in a hurry and we are treated with trepidation because of that. I joke with my captain that if he pisses me off I'll just put some cocaine or oxy in his coffee and demand a piss test because i think he is impaired. I would most def. have taken charge of that boat with a stern scolding and pure intimidation.
Old 08-13-2013

Quote:
My 28 footer has one 65 gal tank, one 50 gal tank I have 4 6 gal jerry cans and I bring about 8 cases of bottled water. and i have a hand pump de sal for emergency. It's all about water. and I stow nothing and I mean nothing above the water line.
Ok, I have 1 34 gallon tank, and I installed 2 26 gallon bladders, all on the starboard side. No room for Jerry's, and no room for all of the bottled water or trash that it creates.

We did have a pur survivor on board.

It's just a different mindset. We have to carry two anchors with 200' of rode, 1/2 b/l of chain. You won't find either of them in the anchor locker. They're stashed below by the mast. Weight is minimized. We give the crew a med size sea bag and tell them, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. We give ourselves 3-4 days margin on water, and we ration from day 1. We eat great for the first 7 days, then live on fish or sandwiches. We never hit the dehydrated food.

You might not have an appreciation for it, but in reality it isn't that different from what you do for a living. You're not exactly jerking off between ports of call now are you?
Old 08-13-2013

Quote:
If harry was as nuts, and jane as well, as RD say's. I could probably take legal control of the ship. Chances are their insanity was greatly exaggerated, but, if they were as nuts as I've been led to imagine, than ya, I would work again if I zip tied 'em. I can tell story's of captains being poisoned with visine till they where deathly ill. I know of crazy captains disapearing completely. And also sabotaged. We can make captains go from hero to zero in a hurry and we are treated with trepidation because of that. I joke with my captain that if he pisses me off I'll just put some cocaine or oxy in his coffee and demand a piss test because i think he is impaired. I would most def. have taken charge of that boat with a stern scolding and pure intimidation.
Well now, that's good to know.
Old 08-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Ok, I have 1 34 gallon tank, and I installed 2 26 gallon bladders, all on the starboard side. No room for Jerry's, and no room for all of the bottled water or trash that it creates.

We did have a pur survivor on board.

It's just a different mindset. We have to carry two anchors with 200' of rode, 1/2 b/l of chain. You won't find either of them in the anchor locker. They're stashed below by the mast. Weight is minimized. We give the crew a med size sea bag and tell them, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. We give ourselves 3-4 days margin on water, and we ration from day 1. We eat great for the first 7 days, then live on fish or sandwiches. We never hit the dehydrated food.

You might not have an appreciation for it, but in reality it isn't that different from what you do for a living. You're not exactly jerking off between ports of call now are you?
In all honesty, I have some appreciation for some of it. And a lot of disdain for the rest. But I'm a paradox. I have no engine so no diesel, which gives me room for more water. I carry almost no crap, so i have room for great food and lots of water. I bath in salt water and rinse with fresh etc. On the tug we carry stupid amounts of water, 24,000 gallons of fuel and freezers full of steak and bacon. we wash clothes and take long hot showers. My personal boat is after all an old racer. I would'nt be caught dead on one of today's crewed racing boats.
Old 08-13-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Time again for me to remind you skippers drinking at the bar that this boat got a "dnf".
They never crossed a finish line.
Who gives a sh!t who behaved badly. What are you all, a bunch of forensic sailors?

I will admit though that I found some of Sal's comments on how "scantily" ocean racers might provision their boats informing.

Learning about Jacuzzi cooked steak has just been a bonus.

Sweet Baby Cheeses.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I will admit though that I found some of Sal's comments on how "scantily" ocean racers might provision their boats informing.
All of the ocean racers I've been associated with have been equipped completely differently, but one thing they did have in common is that all were, basically, giant sail lockers down below ie. no 'crew comforts' whatsoever.

Unnecessary bulkheads, bunks and fancy trimmings all gone. The only seat in the boat is attached to the chart table - for everyone else, if you want to sit down, go on deck. Most still had a head.. but there was always a bucket. The most comfortable berth on the boat was amongst the sails - but don't let the sailing master find you there or you'll get your butt kicked!

Last edited by Classic30; 08-13-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
On that subject, Sal, where in the story do you come up with 18 days' worth of water? I don't see that stated anywhere.
I'm not Sal but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
we had enough water to last us maybe 18 days.
Btw, and aside, here is a perfect example inconsistency from their stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Jake reminded Harry to top off the water tanks but he left the dock anyway to head to the starting point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGo View Post
what with the underfilled tank (that had been Harry's responsibility to fill, and that we only found out when we were well underway he hadn't filled)
Regardless, based upon what these two wrote, the water bit sounds more like a folie à deux on the high seas.
Old 08-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
....If you were interested in anything but your own agenda, which is focused mainly upon being a dick........

.......You haven't earned the chops to criticize me.
Text book definition of tu quoque.
Slayer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Time again for me to remind you skippers drinking at the bar that this boat got a "dnf".
They never crossed a finish line.
Who gives a sh!t who behaved badly. What are you all, a bunch of forensic sailors?

Learning about Jacuzzi cooked steak has just been a bonus.

Sweet Baby Cheeses.
The whole point for me has never been about the finish line but only about who behaved how. Once you are at sea, as we all know, it doesn't matter WHY you are out there it's THAT you are out there that trumps everything else. Acting accordingly is what gets you home. The crazy behavior of harry and jane, if it was even close to accurate, would needed to have been dealt with. Attitude and anger out there can cause serious injury or death.
A jacuzzi cooked steak and some sweet baby cheese served on a bed sprouts on day 14 can sometimes be exactly what a crew needs for moral.
I love those little sweet baby cheeses, the ones that come in the little wax wrapper...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.