Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

This is a bit on/off topic, but I love this log entry and wanted to share.

Captains, good Captains, well they are born I think. I think they are a special breed, not a dying breed, if this Captain is testament. It really is a beautiful thing to have complete trust in your captain, I've only had a few( my hubby included). And to have faith in your vessel at the same time, well that is just heaven.
https://empiricusembarks.wordpress.c...morale-afloat/

Sorry if this is an annoying thread drift
davidpm, Bene505 and shadowraiths like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
When I first read that, it hadn't occurred to me that it was the Ala Wai Entrance that he was referring to... WOW, it's probably just as well they never made it that far...

There's a great shot out there somewhere of a sailboat surfing a swell into the Ala Wai entrance on a pretty flat day...

Can't seem to find it, so this one from Ala Wai will have to do...

Here is the vid for that pic:

Last edited by casey1999; 08-20-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2013
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Nice vid. If you ever find yourself in the lineup with surfers, you are clearly in the wrong spot and should have known it to begin with.

No surfers are hanging out in the water where waves don't break..
TTC likes this.
Old 08-20-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I am guessing that guy was at the helm thinking "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, I really wish I had a bigger motor".
Old 08-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I am guessing that guy was at the helm thinking "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, I really wish I had a bigger motor".
One can only imagine what that moron clinging onto the mast was thinking...

Unbelievably, according to the person who posted this to Youtube, this appears to be a local licensed captain, taking guests out for a ceremony to scatter someone's ashes at sea...

Perhaps one of the stoopidest calls since the late actor George C Scott tried to take the yacht MOJO out of Morro Bay with a big swell running...

Old 08-20-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
One can only imagine what that moron clinging onto the mast was thinking...

Unbelievably, according to the person who posted this to Youtube, this appears to be a local licensed captain, taking guests out for a ceremony to scatter someone's ashes at sea...

Perhaps one of the stoopidest calls since the late actor George C Scott tried to take the yacht MOJO out of Morro Bay with a big swell running...

No, the guy on the mast was definitely not thinking anything, his brain was erased about two seconds before the first wave, and the rest was pure clinging by instinct. Later after it was over he was thinking " Eww, what is that smell and why am I so wet?".

The rest were thinking "Dagnabit, I just know all of my dry clothes are not dry now, and how long will it take my bunk to dry out after we get the water out of the cabin." Except for the cook, who was thinking "I don't know who is going to clean the spaghetti off of everything, but it sure is not gonna be me!". The one who was cleaning it later was thinking "Man, I sure hope that is only spaghetti, and only from the pot."

Old 08-21-2013

thefacts is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
Who said that anything happened to a weeks worth of water? It "appears" that they began rationing when they had a weeks worth of water remaining, and about 9-10 days of sailing to make Honolulu. You're not suggesting that stretching your water supply should begin when you're dry are you? Your logic seems rather confounding.
We had reason to believe that Dawg and Jonah(jake) were scuttling the water, to justify their violation of FCC title 14 regulations in calling PonPon. We caught The Dawg washing his eye glasses under running water for several minutes, although Windex, was stipulated as the solvent to use. At anytime they could have verified the on board water in the hold, as well as the bottled water. They never asked. The facts are not as sexy, understood, but sailor is not a noun, it is a verb. It takes 8hrs to learn how a wind foil works, but a lifetime to perfect a sail in open water. Character is the most important quality that a sailor can have. What kind of sailor will sully a 107yr old revered Trans Pacific Race and its qualified participants as members of ORR/US Sail? To cast themselves as the archetypes of 'Super Hero's' ? Hmm their agenda has yet to be perfected. TRANSPAC has been upping crew standards for at least 47 years, friends and sympathizers along with Dawg and Jake, how about upping yours? Jane
Old 08-21-2013

Smile Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefacts View Post
We had reason to believe that Dawg and Jonah(jake) were scuttling the water, to justify their violation of FCC title 14 regulations in calling PonPon. We caught The Dawg washing his eye glasses under running water for several minutes, although Windex, was stipulated as the solvent to use. At anytime they could have verified the on board water in the hold, as well as the bottled water. They never asked. The facts are not as sexy, understood, but sailor is not a noun, it is a verb. It takes 8hrs to learn how a wind foil works, but a lifetime to perfect a sail in open water. Character is the most important quality that a sailor can have. What kind of sailor will sully a 107yr old revered Trans Pacific Race and its qualified participants as members of ORR/US Sail? To cast themselves as the archetypes of 'Super Hero's' ? Hmm their agenda has yet to be perfected. TRANSPAC has been upping crew standards for at least 47 years, friends and sympathizers along with Dawg and Jake, how about upping yours? Jane
THANKS SAL NICHOLS FOR attempting to but some lite on this dark thread. I do not want to get into a he said they said kind of twaddle, you just have been so Corinthian in putting (?) into the 'fable' I felt I owed you the validation by stating facts. Jane
Old 08-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Absolutely right.

Furthermore, taking the line of reasoning that there was, in fact, 18 days of water (i.e. - "they didn't need to top off") the question now becomes why the skipper is only allowing a dangerously sparse 1.5 liters per day to the crew? This isn't rationing - this is punitive withholding. Again, any way you want to slice it, it comes back to the skipper doing an extremely poor job running that boat. Everything else is a reaction to that fact.
There was 25 days worth of water on board. Crew could have verified by dropping a line and sinker into the holds to check! They never asked to!! 1.5 liters bottled was to drink on deck, and was supervised only after numerous partially drank from bottles were discovered. Jake had left water bottles scattered everywhere. We had reason to believe they could not be trusted not to skuttle the water, to avoid the FCC Title 14 Regulation Violation. Further the 1.5 liters wasn't punitive, it didn't include the beer, wine, soups, and juices consumed. How about that, not such a sexy story, heh? Jane
Old 08-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
They made it to Hawaii without running out of water right? So the water was not an issue. I would have much rather have sailed Oahu rather than Hilo. Oahu much better wind strength and direction (Hilo on Big Island blocks the trades, poor wind, and on top of that, if you miss Hilo, you will either run into a shear sea cliff or hot lava running into the sea. Better have a good engine.

Where is boat now and where is it going?
Water issue pure fable. Could have been verified by Dawg and Jake (Jonah) but they never asked. Not a good story, without survival tension or abuse, heh? The Captain could have sailed the race single handed if need be. There was not another Navigator!!! The insurrections being more frequent, and the scuttling of water etc , the Captain decided to resign the race, and off load our mutineers'. Much to my, Jane's (not a girlfriend but business partner) protesting in favor of sailing the course. 'such an evil thing to do, I know!'
The vessel is in Honolulu, and plans are being drawn to sail to Fuji, and the exotics.
Or alternatively to buddy boat with a vessel leaving for California in October depending on Weather Routers, recommendations.