Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013

thefacts is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

No regret, SD. I would do it again in a heart beat. It is too bad it was not the element of nature threaten us survival but from the other human that acted upon us.

As for the CG's comment, I think it is a wise one. Deescalate is the perfect word in our situation, since we were just half way point. No one can be here within a short time. We were on our own. Our call to CG is not for help, but rather to inform them if something happens to us or the boat, they have to clues to go by.

We waited for a long time and waited until physical violence has occurred before calling. It was a right and calculated decision to call. We were not a bunch of pu55ies to cry for help. [/quote]

OH, yeh? Clues? Silly Dawg the TPYC had yellowbrick tracking! Your call was a waste of taxpayer money. "we were not a bunch of pu55ies to cry for help"!! You just lacked the character, scruples and integrity to stay the course you committed too, heh? Not comfortable enough? No fun without AP? No skin in the game? Why are you sullying a 107year Race, the committee and qualified participants, members of ORR/US Sail??? They all have upped crew standards for at least 47 years? So how about upping yours!!!!??? Sailor is not a noun, it is a verb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013

Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalNichols94804 View Post
RD and Jake would have been stunned to discover that most of us disconnect the hydraulic ram from the steering system on the way TO HI. LOL.

Come to think of it, seeing the looks on their faces when they started mashing AP buttons would have been priceless!
Thanks SalNichols94804 that's how I got the title of Evil, I think. To disconnect the AP, while at sea, I had to turn off all electronics to the Pedestal. Ruined Dawg and Jakes' fun!!They had to try and SAIL, either to course or to weather. Sorry Harry didn't have the temperament of a Cruise Director, and we didn't cater as a Carnival Cruise. They had the 'Notice to Sail' and 'Sailing Instructions', just lacked the character and will to complete the course. Our motto should have been 'Trust but verify' instead of 'A CHALLENGE TO PERFECT, AN ADVENTURE TO LIVE, TROPICAL PARADISE TO REST'!!!! JANE
Old 08-21-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

well this just got more interesting.
abrahamx likes this.

Last edited by weinie; 08-21-2013 at 07:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to weinie For This Useful Post:
thefacts (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013

86year old has more integrity and gonads that than 6 Dawgs and 10 Jakes x 12 put together. She is doing fine, living her life. She appreciated 'An Adventure to Live'. Will write articles for seniors to continue to 'Live Big'!!!
'Will trumps age!!!"
Old 08-21-2013

Lightbulb Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I totally agree with this statement, and that's exactly the kind of crew I've aimed to be on the off-shore races I've done. I think I've done a pretty good job of it as I've been assigned watch captain on the past three races I've done by the skipper I raced with. And he is a tremendous skipper whom I like, respect, and most importantly TRUST, very much

The issue is that I now own my own boat and will race it next season. So, now I'm the skipper and will be looking for crew. That's where the "sanctity" of the position comes in. If I'm a poor a skipper as the one portrayed in this story - I don't deserve to be out there, and I don't deserve to have crew at all. For a skipper to deserve that sanctity, he/she has to perform.

Digs aside, like I've said all along, Sal, you seem to be able to perform. Harry couldn't - Harry didn't deserve that sanctity, yet demanded it to the point of compromising safety. The crew/skipper sword cuts both ways.
SMACKED IN THE HEAD DADDY, What are you about. Deserve sanctity? He was the reason all had a chance to 'live the adventure'. Did you forget it takes a lifetime to perfect the sail of oceans? Sailing is a not a noun it is a verb. Yes sailing may be seen as more risky than waiting for someone to help you out of bed!!! When you traverse the seas of inequity, with nothing but a fine tuned edge of a wind foil to cleave a path, remember not to cry wolf, because you lack the fortitude to put on sea boots and steer the course.!! You can break a leg when exiting your comfy bed!!!!
chef2sail and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 08-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I see we have an alternate point of view on the water/AP and confirmation of the ranting and raving. That would get on my nerves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-21-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting "Jane".

Would you be able to shed any light as to why Jake arranged for a film crew at the departure and then again at the arrival?
Old 08-21-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I see we have an alternate point of view on the water/AP and confirmation of the ranting and raving. That would get on my nerves.
Sure provides some food for thought - Interesting dynamics for sure...
Old 08-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Interesting snippet from SA:

Sound familiar RDawg?
SMACK IN THE HEAD DADDY!! YES in your pc world all skippers should have the temperament of Cruise Directors. And crews should not be expected to do anything uncomfortable, the Skipper should be grateful for their ungrateful company only. Jane
Old 08-21-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.