Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
skuttle the water...Uh, no, sailors know how to spell "scuttle" and that you can't skuttle water.

"We caught The Dawg washing his eye glasses under running water for several minutes, although Windex, was stipulated as the solvent to use."
Again, no. I do use Windex myself bu the folks at SC Johnson are adamant about the fact at it should NEVER be used for coated lenses, which means pretty much all modern glasses. "Stipulated" is also meaningless unless one says who it was stipulated by and whether anyone raised that objection, or otherwise.

Back to water...Oh come on now, are we aboard the HMS Bounty? Really, dipping the hold to determine water level? If I read that in a book, I'd say the author had never been on a boat.

And "FCC Title 14" ?? That's pure gibberish, the FCC refers to "Part ##" of their regulations, which in turn apear in the CFR, typically Title 47 of the CFR. I can't find any reference to FCC Title or Part 14.

Jane, Jane, is there a medical problem here? I understand what stroke damage and dementia can do, I've had family work through both, and I'd have to say that what you are saying simply does not make sense except in a context like that. What you are posting is only serving to confirm that there is something very simply wrong here.
Prolonged dehydration probably did it, that and absorbing the windex into her brain via the ocular tissue.
Old 08-22-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I know that 1.5 liters is not anywhere near enough water for people who are performing the labor of sailing, especially when sailing in tropical climates. The Mayo Clinic doctors think so too....

See more here.... Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

I would say that the Captain/Owner should have planned for a minimum of four gallons per, day per person, plus a ten day reserve. This is a lot of water, and I know the boat would not be able to carry that much, so there is an issue from the start. I wonder why the owner of a race boat would not go with a three day sized tank and a watermaker that would fill it with a short time of running the generator or engine every day to keep it topped off? That would keep the weight lower, and help them make the passage more comfortably.

This is a long open ocean race, the boat has to finish with a healthy crew, and that includes the mental health of the crew as well, or starting the race does not make sense. You cannot finish the race in a good position if you are not performing at your peak levels, you cannot perform at peak levels if you are dehydrated. Mentally a person loses performance when dehydrated, in fact it can make you crazy, insane, doing things that are dangerous crazy.

Now I am sure there will be someone who will want to lecture us all about how open ocean racing means going without water. How having water is not a priority, and keeping your socks is too much weight, and stuff like that, which is insane. This is probably one of the long term side effects of being continually dehydrated, or perhaps just being an a$$. I personally do not understand why some people think that being dehydrated is a good thing, especially while performing the extremely strenuous labor of open ocean racing.

Apparently the folks over at the VOR agree with me on needing a watermaker, and plenty of water for the crew. In fact they seem to even be concerned about proper space, and crew comfort aboard the racing boats.

National Geographic | Volvo Ocean Race 2001-2002

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/static...endment-12.pdf

I was thinking of making another comment or two about the so called expert open ocean racers who say they run the race with nearly empty tanks, but I am going to stay silent because I think that sensible parties have already come to understand that the idea of sailing thirsty is just not a good plan.
Frankly, there is no physical way of putting that much water on most boats. In my case that would have been: 5 persons * 4= 20 gal/ day * 12= 240 gal + 200 gal in reserve + the 5 sealed gallons of emergency water required under the rules. 445 gallons...in a 37' Baltic.

With all due respect, stick to cruising.

As for your other suggestion, we don't do it (go with minimal tanks and a watermaker) because we're not permitted to do so under the rules.

I previously described how we provision, the rationale, and the rules, so I'll not bother repeating myself. I will say that 100 years of sailors racing the Transpac have done so on a water budget of 1 gal/day/person, and no one has died of thirst.

You provision in your way, well continue to provision in our way. My bet is that your boat won't be able to get out of its own way, but to each his or her own.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

1. Are we being trolled?

2. Who's going to volunteer to crew with Jane next year and corroborate this lunacy?
Old 08-22-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
1. Are we being trolled?

2. Who's going to volunteer to crew with Jane next year and corroborate this lunacy?

Maybe a SN lottery to crew with these guys? Could be kinda of a reunion, with the dawg and jake + the camera crew, sure to be next years hottest reality tv show. Any nominations? I think Smackdaddy would like some more offshore racing experience. What say the tribe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-22-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Jane vs. RD - I am amused people think there is a "side" here. Jane pretty much confirmed RD is as bad as his own posts make him look and ALSO confirmed she is as bad as RD says she was. Like I said, boat FULL of crazy, except the 86 year old maybe. She is the only one out of that bunch I would ever let on my boat

BTW - I may be doing an offshore trip next year and we are starting the planning and get-to-know everyone phase NOW. NFW would I hop on a random boat and leave after reading this thread. Not like I would have before, but now I *really* would not!
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 08-22-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
How so? I don't think Jane's personality was ever really in question (whether people believed RD or not, I can't recall anyone calling him about Jane's personality). The issues that most people seemed to have with the story are about different things.

I'm not saying this because I have a beef against either side, but because her personality really isn't where the doubt comes in on the story. If I tell you I looked up at the blue sky then looked across the street to see Elvis with Buddy Holly having a beer - just because the sky happens to be blue doesn't make the story any more credible.

Jane seems a sandwich or two short of a picnic. Honestly, I've met some sailors (good ones) that come across just as bad online (& almost as bad in person). Sorry, but that really doesn't change the elements I have doubt about myself.

--
Please note, I'm not taking sides. This is not a post supporting Jane/Harry nor taking a pot-shot at Dawg/Jake.
Exactly...

Some of he aspects of RD's account I initially found "implausible" have only been shown over the course of this thread to be more so...

He initially claimed that Harry & Jane had "no offshore or long passage experience"... Well, turned out the guy actually did a couple of races to Puerto Vallarta...

And now, their 'alleged' encounter with the HSV-2 SWIFT is sounding even less believable...

Especially, given the fact that Navy ship wasn't even in the same freakin' OCEAN that AQUARIUS was at the time:-)

She arrived in Mayport, FL on 23 May after a 4 month deployment... Next stop, her home port of Norfolk, VA:

Swift returns from deployment | News - Home

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-22-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Still no doubt in my mind that RDs original post was an outcry after a traumatic experience. While there's plenty of blame to go around, it is the Skipper job to establish healthy morale and I'm getting the impression there was zero effort. From provisioning, to crew selection, to water, to skill, to choice of mate, to tone aboard, etc. One common denominator, the Skipper, with several supporting characters.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-22-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

This thread is like Jason from Friday the 13th.
Old 08-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Or, this?

Given Jane's recent 'contributions', RD's decision to get aboard that boat was even dumber than it originally appeared to be..."

:-)
Or this?

Have you ever dated a sweet Jane that was really nice on the first date, then tried to push you off a boat when you didn't talk to her enough the next day? In retrospect, that first date was a bad call and you just didn't know it.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time believing this is the famed Jane. The command of language is just too poor.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Honestly, I'm having a hard time believing this is the famed Jane. The command of language is just too poor.
Yeah, but what do you know, you see "command" as a noun, not a verb... :-)

You might get a clue, once you've finally sailed upon "The Seas of Inequity"...
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.