Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

At least my windfoil isn't dangling like a limp participle.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013
Dunning Krueger Research

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Or this?

Have you ever dated a sweet Jane that was really nice on the first date, then tried to push you off a boat when you didn't talk to her enough the next day? In retrospect, that first date was a bad call and you just didn't know it.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time believing this is the famed Jane. The command of language is just too poor.
Actually I have. Seriously - its just a matter of time before Sushi Chef/ Captain Harry and Grandma get their own profiles and appear on this read to give their side of the story, probably in much worse english!!
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 08-22-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
You can actually learn a lot about a person just by counting the number of exclamation marks in their posts.

SPEWWWW! EXE's emails contain multiple exclamation marks multiple times!!!!!

Always cracks me up!!

!!!!
Old 08-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Actually I have.
Yeah - me too. And she almost succeeded! I would have fallen 20' into the nasty, sea urchin infested harbor of Honiara. Caaaarazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Maybe Jane can explain why no one that knows them would go?

Old 08-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I would say that the Captain/Owner should have planned for a minimum of four gallons per, day per person, plus a ten day reserve. This is a lot of water, and I know the boat would not be able to carry that much, so there is an issue from the start. I wonder why the owner of a race boat would not go with a three day sized tank and a watermaker that would fill it with a short time of running the generator or engine every day to keep it topped off? That would keep the weight lower, and help them make the passage more comfortably.
No way. Surely that was in jest.

We, as cruisers with kids and a fat Bulldog don't go through anywhere NEAR that much water... even with showers and washing dishes in fresh water. Realistically, we can make it 14 days @135g with good conservation. Good conservation is salt water washes, fresh water rinses, and very brief showers which likely wont be everyday. If we take showers everyday and fresh water washes and are generally non-conservative, we are about 10-12 days. If we had to, we could push the two week limit (and if we were crossing the ocean, we would have to). In the marina, we can go under the 12 days - esp if the kids do the dishes.

Now, in fairness, we do drink gatorades and keep water bottles around for hikes or outings. But we also drink alcoholic beverages and we will generally keep a 5g bucket of water with ammonia in it for washing which could get refilled depending on spaghetti-to-mouth malfunctions. SO realistic numbers are 8g/day for us pretty conservative but comfortable. This will include the periodic showers and fresh water rinses for dishes. Also, as you increase the people, you can decrease some of the water/pp. THis is because a single person may still have to fill the 5g bucket of fresh water or the sink for rinses. But that same water can be used by others without decreasing the supply.

You also need to add into this discussion (as Jane pointed out) that you will be getting water from foods. If you eat a can of brothy soup, you probably are not going to drink a large cup of water afterwards. SO depending on the foods (excluding alcohol, that is ridiculous), you may not use as much water. Also, your suggestion for a 10 day reserve on top of that is ludicrous. Using your numbers, some boats may not even carry 10 days worth of water for that crew!

Regarding the watermaker, there is no way in Hades that I would have the lives of my crew dependent on a mechanical piece of equipment that could fail without warning. Like Nick did, I would have it as a backup, not as a primary use. If he says he can do it, and has done it, on 1g of water/person - I will take his word for it. THat would not be my comfort level, but with severe conservation, I can see how that could work (also including food/soups and excluding alcohol).

My opinion (and real life experience).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
No way. Surely that was in jest.

We, as cruisers with kids and a fat Bulldog don't go through anywhere NEAR that much water... even with showers and washing dishes in fresh water. Realistically, we can make it 14 days @135g with good conservation. Good conservation is salt water washes, fresh water rinses, and very brief showers which likely wont be everyday. If we take showers everyday and fresh water washes and are generally non-conservative, we are about 10-12 days. If we had to, we could push the two week limit (and if we were crossing the ocean, we would have to). In the marina, we can go under the 12 days - esp if the kids do the dishes.

Now, in fairness, we do drink gatorades and keep water bottles around for hikes or outings. But we also drink alcoholic beverages and we will generally keep a 5g bucket of water with ammonia in it for washing which could get refilled depending on spaghetti-to-mouth malfunctions. SO realistic numbers are 8g/day for us pretty conservative but comfortable. This will include the periodic showers and fresh water rinses for dishes. Also, as you increase the people, you can decrease some of the water/pp. THis is because a single person may still have to fill the 5g bucket of fresh water or the sink for rinses. But that same water can be used by others without decreasing the supply.

You also need to add into this discussion (as Jane pointed out) that you will be getting water from foods. If you eat a can of brothy soup, you probably are not going to drink a large cup of water afterwards. SO depending on the foods (excluding alcohol, that is ridiculous), you may not use as much water. Also, your suggestion for a 10 day reserve on top of that is ludicrous. Using your numbers, some boats may not even carry 10 days worth of water for that crew!

Regarding the watermaker, there is no way in Hades that I would have the lives of my crew dependent on a mechanical piece of equipment that could fail without warning. Like Nick did, I would have it as a backup, not as a primary use. If he says he can do it, and has done it, on 1g of water/person - I will take his word for it. THat would not be my comfort level, but with severe conservation, I can see how that could work (also including food/soups and excluding alcohol).

My opinion (and real life experience).

Brian
These are the kinds of numbers breakdowns I like to see. Very helpful. Thanks CD.

Old 08-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
skuttle the water...Uh, no, sailors know how to spell "scuttle" and that you can't skuttle water.

"We caught The Dawg washing his eye glasses under running water for several minutes, although Windex, was stipulated as the solvent to use."
Again, no. I do use Windex myself but the folks at SC Johnson are adamant about the fact at it should NEVER be used for coated lenses, which means pretty much all modern glasses. Never for many plastics, and most lenses today fall into those categories too.

"Stipulated" is also meaningless unless one says who it was stipulated by and whether anyone raised that objection, or otherwise.

Back to water...Oh come on now, are we aboard the HMS Bounty? Really, dipping the hold to determine water level? If I read that in a book, I'd say the author had never been on a boat.

And "FCC Title 14" ?? That's pure gibberish, the FCC refers to "Part ##" of their regulations, which in turn appear in the CFR, typically Title 47 of the CFR. I can't find any reference to FCC Title or Part 14.

Jane, Jane, is there a medical problem here? I understand what stroke damage and dementia can do, I've had family work through both, and I'd have to say that what you are saying reminds me strongly of that. What you are posting is only serving to confirm that there is something very simply wrong here.
Sorry Hello, my friend, I don't agree with you there.

Even cruising, if I were to tell you NOT to do something, and you did it anyways, that would seriously piss me off. It would piss you off too. If he didn't want to clean his glasses with windex, he should have bought a different pair or left them in his bunk. Many of the racers I know have one pair for racing and another for 'life/cruising' because they dont want to lose a $250 set of Costas to Neptune. Clean, fresh water rinsed glasses are not a matter of life-death. Wasting water is. So if they are intentionally disobeying the ship rules, what do Harry and Jane do? I guess they tape the faucets.

If you turned on the AP, and I told you not to, I probably would disconnect it and you would have just seriously pissed me off.

If you forced me to fly a kite and I couldn't (or did it yourself against my wishes), that would seriously piss me off.

Somehow in all of this, there was a massive loss of trust and communication. I mean, can you imagine being the captain of your boat Hello, and having someone call the USCG and reporting you!?? At that point, any and all chances of the crew getting along are gone (if they were not before). And how does that captain feel when his crew calls the RC and complains? Geez, I'd feel like a genuine arse when I saw them again and it might even burn me out of racing with them again. Wouldn't you?

I am not trying to be unfair to RD or Jake in this... I simply cannot imagine the trip they had. Crazy, as one person put it. The reality is that the trip was a nightmare for all involved, and I wonder if any of them will race again (and that is the real tragedy in all of this). But to be clear, I hold the captain completely at fault in all of this because the buck stops with him. That being the case, it doesn't mean the captain doesn't have a gripe or two in this matter that would be completely justified.

But I wasn't there. I am being a Monday morning quarterback and basing my responses on what I have read here which we ASSUME is from both sides. Sure wish it would have been different for them all. And that is another reason why I think this thread is one of the best we have had in quite some time. I am hoping it will be a warning sign for those looking to crew or looking for crew as to what can happen. This does not mean Jake/RD are bad crew. Not at all. Nor does it mean that J/Harry were bad captains. It just shows the reality of being out there, the reality that once you go you are on your own, and the necessity to be cautious in making sure everyone can get along and not just hopping the first boat leaving port.

Again, my opinions.

Brian
chef2sail and shadowraiths like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
These are the kinds of numbers breakdowns I like to see. Very helpful. Thanks CD.
If you are serious about water conservation, I can start another thread and we can discuss some more specifics. But if you are setting this up for cruisers versus racing, I think the numbers will be different (less conservative).

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-22-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Offshore, for us, fresh water is for final washing and drinking. Rain is for showers
I used to have a mesh bag to drag dishes behind the boat for the initial rinsing before they even hit the sink. That worked great except the time a shark just about took my hand off homing in on beef stew residue

BTW< race or cruise, 1 gal/person/day would be fine for offshore IMHO.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.