Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1048Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

I read this thread with interest as in the early 1980's I used to do yacht deliveries from Maryland and Florida down to the West Indies. These were non stop trips that normally lasted 2 to 3 weeks. The boats I sailed were in the 37-41 foot lengths and we had a total crew of 3 including Capt. We had no auto pilot (shifts were 3 hrs on and 6 hours off 24/7). We never took showers, and only used the freshwater for rinsing dishes and cooking/drinking. Bottled water and Gatorade and not been invented yet (those are both terrible inventioins as they generate tremendous plastic waste). We also navigated only by sextant as GPS and chart plotters had not been invented. We only had a VHF (epirbs, sat phone had not been invented and SSB was too expensive) We did have a life boat on board.

When I did the yacht deliveries, I never met the Capt or crew prior to boarding the ship. After boarding and helping provision and ready the boat (took a couple days) we left. The Capt or crew never had a problem, in fact, we all had a good time.

Man times have changed....
Capt Len likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Jane is now a verb. Awesome!

MedSailor
When used in that manner, wouldn't "Jane" be a noun? Although it wouldn't be a proper noun, so it shouldn't be capitalized.
Old 08-22-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Those were the rules of the boat. He abides by them or finds a different ride. If she said he had to wipe his butt with one square to conserve paper, then he better dang good and well wipe it with one square.

But in one hand he is worrying about the water, and in the other he is rising off his glasses in fresh water? Toss the glasses overboard. They aint required racing equipment.

On our boat, we often keep a sink with a bit of water in the bottom for little things like this (and also to collect water that can be used later in rinsing off plates or other items). If he just let it run down the drain, it makes you wonder??

Again, I am not saying that he did this. What I am saying is that it aint his boat it is his ride. On matters like this, I don't see why you dont just deal with it. This wasn't marriage for gawds sakes. It was a couple of weeks.

Brian
Brian

I have no dawg in this fight. I cannot say who is to blame. My point is just this

were there even consistent rules to obey? Does it not sound like the rules changed as they went? A bit punitive? You think Jane sat RD and Jake down and explained to them at the dock that they must never use water on eyeglasses? and stipulated windex! Ha! We are talking about Jane's account here, so lets keep to it- she said there was plenty of water. Then she/ or they denied RD the necessity of cleaning his glasses. I say its petty and shows the poor leadership they had.

You may have your rules and you may enforce them on your boat. But I personally doubt that you would throw a sketchy crew in a sketchy situation into such a panic and provoke them, just to be vindictive. It seems like a stupid thing to do. I read your blog and I don't see that... I see intelligence and the opposite personality from Jane.
Cruisingdad likes this.
Old 08-22-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

The amount of time I've wasted on this thread is Janing me.
RTB, abarth, Tenoch and 2 others like this.
Old 08-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Brian

I have no dawg in this fight. I cannot say who is to blame. My point is just this

were there even consistent rules to obey? Does it not sound like the rules changed as they went? A bit punitive? You think Jane sat RD and Jake down and explained to them at the dock that they must never use water on eyeglasses? and stipulated windex! Ha! We are talking about Jane's account here, so lets keep to it- she said there was plenty of water. Then she/ or they denied RD the necessity of cleaning his glasses. I say its petty and shows the poor leadership they had.

You may have your rules and you may enforce them on your boat. But I personally doubt that you would throw a sketchy crew in a sketchy situation into such a panic and provoke them, just to be vindictive. It seems like a stupid thing to do. I read your blog and I don't see that... I see intelligence and the opposite personality from Jane.
That was very nice and thank you.

But hey, I sail with kids. I have the final say with my crew no matter what - with the 'Don't Make Me Get Your Momma'!!! I suspect you may be right that they did not sit down with them and discuss matters. As I said before, this trip fell apart at the dock. But who really knows? THe crew and owners know. We are just guessing. Darn shame though. It could have been a blast.

Brian
Sal Paradise likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Wouldn't you think that if RD had made up any significant details such as the SWIFT incident, "Jane" would have gone to town on him for it?
Here is RD's account of their encounter with the SWIFT:

Quote:
Day 6, July 13:
Conditions were not getting better despite Jane talking to Harry. There was a significant mistrust towards Jake and I. We were not allowed to talk to each other and not permitted to sit at the navigation table and must stay in our berth, per Jane orders. In despair, Jake contacted a military ship “HS V2 Swift” nearby for rescue, claiming unsafe environment. Unfortunately Harry and Jane refused to let us leave the boat. The captain of Swift talked on the radio that they would monitor for 3 hours. They took away the VHF radio and sent Swift away. We were officially their prisoners.
It seems likely that Jake would have identified himself as an American citizen in his call for "rescue"... In his perfect English, "non-detectable New York lawyer accent", no less...

Later on, Harry - in English so poor and heavily-accented that RD stated at the outset was extremely difficult to understand/decipher - apparently tells the command of the SWIFT, in effect, "Never mind, everything's fine here, please go on your merry way... No, I'm sorry, you may not speak to the gentleman who called asking to be removed from the vessel. Besides, he's resting peacefully at the moment, and specifically requested that his sleep not be interrupted... Buh-BYE..."

Some might find such a scenario plausible... However, I do not...
chef2sail and MarkSF like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-22-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
The amount of time I've wasted on this thread is Janing me.
Dude, you've been Janed.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
rbrasi (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Is it me, or has "thefacts"/Jane gone very quiet?
Old 08-22-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Is it me, or has "thefacts"/Jane gone very quiet?

I think it's you. I can still hear the "Sailing is a Verb, sailing is a noun." or WETF she was saying.
Old 08-22-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, you've been Janed.
Come-on, don't go all Jane on me. (adjective?)